Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Better chance of Job offer if have Industrial Electrician Red Seal Qualification?

Better chance of Job offer if have Industrial Electrician Red Seal Qualification?

Old Apr 25th 2014, 12:06 am
Just Joined

Olib1990 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Better chance of Job offer if have Industrial Electrician Red Seal Qualification?

Hi I am an Industrial Electrician and have sent my Challenge Red Seal Application to ITABC on 21/03/2014 (5 weeks ago) and I am very sure I will get approval to sit the exam in the next couple of weeks. I will be flying over and sitting the exam in July 2014 if I get the approval.

Do you think that once I sit the exam and assuming I pass it and become red seal qualified, that I will get more Job offers?

So far I have had 1 job offer after applying for about 50 different jobs throughout Canada. However the job is not in a location we would want to raise a future family. Our ideal location would be Alberta (around Calgary/ Edmonton) or British Columbia (around Cariboo/ Kamloops).

I'm not sure at the moment if the problem is me not having the red seal, or that companies just don't want to apply for an LMO? As there are soooo many job listings so I know electricians are in demand in BC and Alberta.

I suppose it is a big risk for an employer to employ someone from abroad that doesn't have the red seal and if they sponsor them to come over then there is always the chance they might fail the exam, which would be a waste of time for the company....

However if I have the red seal then its just a case of them paying $300 to apply for an LMO, and the biggest risk to them then would be being declined for the LMO and losing $300....

I would be interested to hear other peoples experiences?

Thanks

Oli
Old Apr 25th 2014, 12:20 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Better chance of Job offer if have Industrial Electrician Red Seal Qualification?

Out of interest, is there any reason you're not planning on applying for PR once you've got your Red Seal? Presumably you don't want to stay there permanently?

But in ref to the LMO's, how are you applying for these jobs, is it just online? You may find that if you follow the job hunting advice in the Wiki and arrange lots of meetings for when you go out there to sit the Red Seal, you may well have much more interest.
Old Apr 25th 2014, 12:35 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Better chance of Job offer if have Industrial Electrician Red Seal Qualification?

We do want to stay there permanently, but it takes up to 2 years to apply for permanent residency through the Federal Skilled Trades Programme. Which is a long time to wait. Its much quicker to get a job offer and get in through a temporary Foreign Worker Visa, then once in Canada we would apply for permanent residency.
Yes we have just been applying online. How do you arrange meetings with employers if they aren't willing to give you an interview in the first place? I have been putting in my applications that I will be in Canada on 2nd July to sit the red seal, so you would have thought that they would suggest meeting me if they were interested?
Old Apr 25th 2014, 12:47 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Olib1990
We do want to stay there permanently, but it takes up to 2 years to apply for permanent residency through the Federal Skilled Trades Programme. Which is a long time to wait. Its much quicker to get a job offer and get in through a temporary Foreign Worker Visa, then once in Canada we would apply for permanent residency.
Ah, I see. You just may find it much easier to find work if you have PR, plus of course you've got much more security and wouldn't have to leave Canada if made redundant or similar and unable to find work. But you could always put a PR app in once you've got your Red Seal as well I guess, so that it's running concurrently with your TWP hunt.

Originally Posted by Olib1990
Yes we have just been applying online. How do you arrange meetings with employers if they aren't willing to give you an interview in the first place? I have been putting in my applications that I will be in Canada on 2nd July to sit the red seal, so you would have thought that they would suggest meeting me if they were interested?
Have you read the Job Hunting section of the Wiki? It's pretty much essential reading and will explain how pointless applying for jobs online often is. You really need to pick up the phone, but have a read and there's loads of good info in there to help you figure out a plan of attack. I reckon if you arrange meetings for when you're over there, and tell them you'll have your Red Seal shortly, you'll have no probs finding a job offer.

Best of luck.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Apr 25th 2014 at 12:57 am.
Old Apr 25th 2014, 3:23 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your input. We will be applying for PR as soon as I pass my red seal anyway, but I will also be trying to get in via a TWP while it is processing.
I will only be in Canada for one day as I am flying in and flying out. So wouldn't really be able to arrange any meetings.
Do you think it does make it better if you have the red seal but still apply from the UK?
Old Apr 25th 2014, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

Stu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really nice

you do realize that applying for PR whilst in canada can take just as long as applying from the UK.
and if your planning on flying in then sitting your exam on the same day I wish you luck.
I sat the heavy equipment mechanic red seal test in 2012, its 4 hours long!!
lots if mental stress and i certainly wouldnt want to do that after a 9 hour flight. too much riding on it.

and it took 3-4 months before I had an answer from my test application.
Old Apr 26th 2014, 5:15 am
Just Joined

Hi I am in LA at the beginning of July so assuming I get my approval before then I will be flying up to Vancouver (2h 45min flight) on the 1st and sitting my exam on the 2nd, then flying back down on the evening of the 2nd.

They say the application takes up to 8 weeks and its already been 5 weeks, so im hoping it will only be another few weeks. But what will be will be.

Why did yours take 3-4 months? Did you apply from the UK or Canada?
Old Apr 26th 2014, 7:05 am
Forum Regular

Stu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really nice

I applied from the uk, its like anything that involves paper work in Canada it takes time.
they have to call previous jobs to clarify your hours and qualifications