Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

best way to move to canada after being in long distance relationship

best way to move to canada after being in long distance relationship

Old Apr 24th 2014, 7:06 am
Just Joined

charlie9 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: best way to move to canada after being in long distance relationship

I think I just found my answer in post #10
Old Apr 24th 2014, 7:32 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: best way to move to canada after being in long distance relationship

Originally Posted by charlie9
thank you again for info, and again sorry for me not making things clear, we have talked and I am visiting my GF in Canada in a few weeks we will go to city hall and apply for marriage and fill in forms and have a wedding in early august, now I know I don't have to apply down the spousal route immediately as I now know its going to take roughly 7 months from applying , but what I want to know is when I do and PR is granted will I not be able to leave Canada for 2 years ?? ,as I might have unfinished business back home , or be a proper Canadian and have a winter week in cuba , or a days shopping trip to states, I am sure I will be bombarding you over the coming months, I printed of all the forms this afternoon to go through and like advised answer using pen, ready for the day
I saw you say you found the answer in Post #10, but I'll clarify anyway.

When your PR is issued, it will be Conditional PR. This means that for the two years after you land, you must remain living with your Canadian spouse, regardless of inside or outside of Canada.

You should be fine to go on short trips on your own, but if you "move" back to the UK for a few months to finish things up after PR has been granted, this could get you in trouble - you need to actually be living together for 2 years after you land. If you have business to finish up in the UK, I would suggest doing it BEFORE you land (so while PR is processing is fine) so that once you land and become a PR you can stay in Canada with your wife-to-be and not have any issues.

You can still go on holiday and such though. If you are going on your own then the separation shouldn't be longer than a week or two at the most; if your wife-to-be goes with you, then whatever. You two just need to be staying TOGETHER physically as much as possible.

Hopefully that helps.
Old Apr 24th 2014, 7:42 am
Just Joined

thanks, so if I did have issues in uk after PR granted as long as my wife came with me to uk make business trip into a uk holiday, then I should have no problems
Old Apr 24th 2014, 8:19 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

thanks, so if I did have issues in uk after PR granted as long as my wife came with me to uk make business trip into a uk holiday, then I should have no problems
If you were only going for a week I Wouldn't worry about it, but any longer than that then yes, you should go together.
Old Apr 24th 2014, 8:41 am
Just Joined

Thank you Schnookololy, I have lots of questions but I think most can be answered by reading all the threads on BE and I would just be being lazy, I am sure come august after wedding, and time to go through with spousal sponsor , I will be annoying you then, again thank you and others that have been bothered to answer my posts , most helpful and have put my mind at ease , and encouraged me to marry my wonderful GF .
Old Apr 24th 2014, 8:43 am
Concierge

Thank you Schnookololy, I have lots of questions but I think most can be answered by reading all the threads on BE and I would just be being lazy, I am sure come august after wedding, and time to go through with spousal sponsor , I will be annoying you then, again thank you and others that have been bothered to answer my posts , most helpful and have put my mind at ease , and encouraged me to marry my wonderful GF .
No problem! The process can be quite daunting and sometimes you just have questions about your specific situation that are hard to find answers for, so do feel free to ask.

I would suggest printing out the forms and having a go at filling them out, just to start to get used to them as there's quite a lot. Start to gather your evidence, and a bit closer to the time, order your police certificates and book your medical.

The wiki is a great starting point for reading about what the process entails and what you'll have to do to prepare for it.

Good luck!!
Old Apr 24th 2014, 8:56 am
Just Joined

I have downloaded all form will be bringing then with me to canada next month were the pair of us can sit down and work our way through .
Old Apr 24th 2014, 8:58 am
Concierge

I wish you all the best, good luck with your application and definitely post back if (when!) you have questions!