Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Best way to go about getting a work visa

Best way to go about getting a work visa

Old Nov 20th 2007, 5:53 am
Just Joined

sarahg2005 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Best way to go about getting a work visa

Hi. I'm wondering what the best way for my American boyfriend to get a work visa would be. Ideally, he wants to come here next summer, but I'm wondering if he needs to come here first to look for a job and (hopefully) get an offer and then go back and apply from the US, or if he can stay here and apply. I did see on Citizenship and Immigration Canada that US residents can apply for a WP at the time of entry, but the eligibility to do so is confusing me. For exemple, it says:

"You do not need a temporary resident visa to visit Canada and your job does not need a labour market opinion from HRSDC.
You hold a labour market opinion from HRSDC."

Is it just me or are those contradictory? Does anyone know anything about this? Anyway, he's in the medical field if that makes a difference, I'm thinking the best option for him would be something in the way of a research position. Does he stand any chance of finding a suitable job and getting a permit? I vaguely remember reading up about LMO's and all that great stuff when we were considering this before, but it all seems to have escaped me. Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 20th 2007, 6:10 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Best way to go about getting a work visa

Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) - it is just a visitor visa, not needed by Americans

Work or Study Permit - it is a permit allowing holder to work or study in Canada as specified in the permit. WP and SP are not visas, thus person who needs visa to come to Canada needs a TRV in addition to WP or ST.

Start your research here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/index.asp
Old Nov 20th 2007, 6:27 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) - it is just a visitor visa, not needed by Americans

Work or Study Permit - it is a permit allowing holder to work or study in Canada as specified in the permit. WP and SP are not visas, thus person who needs visa to come to Canada needs a TRV in addition to WP or ST.

Start your research here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/index.asp
Oops, sorry for mixing up the terminology. I guess he just needs a WP. Although, that would most likely allow him to stay for longer than six months, right? I know the no-visa-for-Americans thing has a limit of six months, so how does it let him stay past that?

That website is where I got that quote. I think I get it now though, you just need one or the other? I thought at first all the bullitens had to apply so that's why I was confused.
Old Nov 20th 2007, 7:38 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

1. he needs to find a job

2. employer must apply for Labor Market Opinion to HRSDC with proof that job was advertised nationally for at least 3 months (unless it is in occupation under pressure - then 7 days is enough) with advertised salary in the mid to upper mid level of salaries paid for the same position in same area, and that despite extensive recruiting effort no Canadian was found for the job

3. once positive LMO is granted he must apply for work permit through one of the consulates in US if medicals are required or simply at the border if no medicals are needed

4. work permit are initially issued for 12 or 24 months, rarely for 3 years.
Old Nov 20th 2007, 5:36 pm
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

If he's American, he might be able to get a work permit under NAFTA. I don't know much about it, but work with someone who did this. More info here http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/special-business.asp
Old Nov 21st 2007, 4:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

live to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond repute

I work with an American who has her work visa through NAFTA. But I'm afraid she is way too unhelpful on work matters to even bother asking about WPs!

Good luck though.
Old Nov 21st 2007, 5:57 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by live to ski
I work with an American who has her work visa through NAFTA. But I'm afraid she is way too unhelpful on work matters to even bother asking about WPs!

Good luck though.
Here is a list of the 63 professional occupations that fall under NAFTA
http://www.dfait-maeci.gc.ca/nafta-a...emp05-3-en.asp
Old Nov 21st 2007, 8:28 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

Here is a list of the 63 professional occupations that fall under NAFTA
http://www.dfait-maeci.gc.ca/nafta-a...emp05-3-en.asp

Interesting. I wonder if he would fall under the physician category? He has an MD but hasn't completed his residency. We're under the impression that he can't work as a physician here because it's government funded, which is why he wants to do research. This would mean he doesn't need to get an LMO?