BEST WAY FORWARD? HELP!

Old May 25th 2008, 9:20 am
Just Joined

Papa G is an unknown quantity at this point
Question BEST WAY FORWARD? HELP!

Our scenario is:-

I have a permanent job offer in Oakville, ON- dates fairly flexible

Kids are both high school age and we would like them to start September '08 - we have to apply to education authority for schools by mid June

OH is a journalist and should pick up some writing work fairly easily

What is my best option? Do I apply for work permit then apply for PR immediately? Do I apply for work permit then apply for PR after a year?

We will have to pay school fees if we have not applied for PR and will have to pay school fees for first semester if kids are not resident in Canada.

Is it too ambitious to try for the kids this September?

What are your experiences?
Old May 25th 2008, 10:02 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BEST WAY FORWARD? HELP!

Originally Posted by Papa G
I have a permanent job offer in Oakville, ON- dates fairly flexible
You and your employer may regard it as a permanent offer. But, if you apply for a temporary work permit (TWP), you must be careful not to call it a permanent job offer.

What is my best option? Do I apply for work permit then apply for PR immediately? Do I apply for work permit then apply for PR after a year?
If you could get a TWP for a job in Ontario, you should work in the job for a few months (I'm guessing at least three months), and then apply for PR.

I say if because I think your chances of getting a TWP for a job in Ontario are slim. I don't know if you're aware but, in order to get the Labour Market Opinion (LMO) that would be required in order for you to be able to apply for a TWP, the prospective employer would have to advertise the job across Canada for three months. Only if no qualified Canadian resident had applied for the job would the employer get the LMO that would allow him to offer the job to you.

I don't know exactly what you do, but I gather from another thread that you're in construction. You'd have a better chance of getting a TWP if you got a job offer from Alberta or British Columbia.

Even then you are unlikely to get a TWP by September. If you are not in one of the occupations that qualifies for an Expedited Labour Market Opinion, LMOs are taking 20 - 30 weeks in Alberta, and I think BC is not far behind.

If you have not already done so, you would do well to read the Wiki section of this website. There is a link to it in my signature, below.

Hope that helps.
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 10:54 pm
Just Joined

saskbong is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
Only if no qualified Canadian resident had applied for the job would the employer get the LMO that would allow him to offer the job to you.
Hmm..I thought that the even if Canadian candidates had applied the employer could still prefer the non-Canadian if the latter had better credentials than the Canadians. Isn't that true?
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 11:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

No, I'm afraid not. They have to prove that they have advertised the job and that no Canadian qualified to do it has applied - it doesn't matter if a foreign worker has more experience, etc, if a suitable Canadian has applied and can do it then they have to be given priority from what I understand.

The following page might be useful reading...............

http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/en/workplaces...sessment.shtml
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 11:27 pm
Just Joined

saskbong is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
No, I'm afraid not. They have to prove that they have advertised the job and that no Canadian qualified to do it has applied - it doesn't matter if a foreign worker has more experience, etc, if a suitable Canadian has applied and can do it then they have to be given priority from what I understand.

The following page might be useful reading...............

http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/en/workplaces...sessment.shtml
Didn't find any reference to the question I had in that link, but thanks anyway. Hoping to have a few more responses.

Haa...now that I have lost that offer, it's really of no practical use. Just gathering my two pennies worth of advise if someone asks for it from me in future (sigh).
Old Jun 4th 2008, 12:58 am
Forum Regular

tilly1626 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Papa G
Just thought I would share our experience of moving to Oakville,
OH got job offer in May 07
LMO July 07
WP August 14th at POE
PR application Jan 08
Medicals March 08

We sold our house first week on market so were effectively homeless and jobless as OH had finished work, didn't want to wait for application to go through London so after careful consideration applied for WP at Pearson.

We were told at 2 Public High Schools to register kids we needed to have a address within the catchment area and WP, if you live in catchment area they have to take you regardless of how full the school is.
Halton district school board does not require study permits for the kids, I do not know if this applies to the Catholic School Board however.
We have no fees to pay as WP holders.
Hope this helps
Old Jun 4th 2008, 1:40 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by saskbong
Didn't find any reference to the question I had in that link, but thanks anyway. Hoping to have a few more responses.

Haa...now that I have lost that offer, it's really of no practical use. Just gathering my two pennies worth of advise if someone asks for it from me in future (sigh).
The following sentence should give you an answer............

HRSDC generally requires evidence of recruitment efforts to find qualified Canadians before applying to hire foreign workers.

In other words, they need to see that the job has been advertised and no qualified Canadians have applied before they apply for LMO to hire a foreign worker.

Hope that helps a bit. And fingers crossed, hope that the next one will get that LMO for you! Good luck.