Best way to Canada!!

Old Mar 12th 2014, 5:32 am
Just Joined

MatthewShepherd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Best way to Canada!!

Hi,
What is the best way to get to Calgary??? Do we do it all ourselves or use an agency like IXP Visas. I'm a welder and my wife a photographer. I have my letter from the AIT with regards to converting my qualification to the Canadian equivalent and I've applied for plenty of jobs but so far not a sausage. Whats the best plan of attack!!?

Cheers

Matty
Old Mar 12th 2014, 5:46 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best way to Canada!!

Welcome to BE!

I wouldn't be using an Immigration Consultant unless you have a background that may cause you problems. A temporary work permit costs $155 and is issued at the port of entry, no forms to fill out. It is illegal for anyone to charge you to find you a job. The company you quoted used to be under a different name and has not got a good reputation.

Alberta has a Temporary Work Permit Pilot Project that allows companies to employ workers for jobs that are in demand without the need of an Labour Market Opinion if they have Provincial (or Red Seal) certification. Welders are on the list. It is also possible to get an open work permit.

https://www.albertacanada.com/files/...steam-pipe.pdf

This would work to your advantage as other jobs require LMO approval before a TWP can be issued.

Are you using a UK based email address? If you are, you are unlikely to have much luck as the employers want somebody to start quite quickly normally. Get yourself a yahoo.ca email.

The best way would be to get to Canada as a visitor and go around to various employers. Have you 'Canadianised' your resume?

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Quick_...uctions-Canada

You could also apply under the Federal Skilled Worker (Trades) Permanent Resident route, which would allow you to get a TWP once you received initial approval. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...plications.asp

There are plenty of companies looking for a Welder, so if you can get over for a visit you should manage to get a job.

http://www.workingincanada.gc.ca/job....submit=Search

Last edited by Siouxie; Mar 12th 2014 at 5:55 am.
Old Mar 12th 2014, 5:54 am
Just Joined

Fantastic thanks for the quick reply!

I'll get on it straight away.

Cheers
Old Mar 12th 2014, 8:51 am
Forum Regular

DazzaP has a brilliant futureDazzaP has a brilliant futureDazzaP has a brilliant futureDazzaP has a brilliant futureDazzaP has a brilliant futureDazzaP has a brilliant futureDazzaP has a brilliant futureDazzaP has a brilliant future

Good luck dude that is all I'll say. I am a welder too and I've been working here welding for a while so I can give a small bit of insight. The level of skill here in Canada and in particular Alberta is light years ahead of the UK, comparing British and Irish welders to Albertan welders is like comparing a Harley Street doctor to one of those 90 year old ladies who slings paracetamol at the local chemist.
To exchange your papers you need first qualify by having thousands of hours of work signed off by previous employers then to pass some very difficult tests in all types of welding including Tig Mig and stick in various positions alongside a lot of paperwork, so be prepared.
I am going through the same process now but I lack the hours to take any tests and it is ILLEGAL for anyone to work as a welder in AB without being registered (journeyman ticket, red seal or apprenticeship) and to be registered you need to be a PR or citizen basically. The only real money too seems to be in the camps and there is no quality of life at these places I'm led to believe. It's a great place with good opportunity but be prepared for let down or long long long periods of stress.
Old Mar 12th 2014, 9:04 am
Forum Regular

DazzaP has a brilliant futureDazzaP has a brilliant futureDazzaP has a brilliant futureDazzaP has a brilliant futureDazzaP has a brilliant futureDazzaP has a brilliant futureDazzaP has a brilliant futureDazzaP has a brilliant future

Sorry to sound so negative but that is what i have experienced here in Alberta. Welding is a 'compulsory trade' which makes it very difficult for outsiders to get into.
Old Mar 12th 2014, 9:08 am
Just Joined

Cheers bud. I am all coded right now and work in the oil, gas, petrochemical and nuclear sector. I've been in touch with the AIT and they have said that i qualify for the Qualification Certificate Program and I need to send off the letter they sent me when I land in Alberta and they will set up the written and practical.
I'm gonna have to revamp my C.V. though as its good for over here but I don't think Canadian employers particularly understand what i mean when i put 6G!!
Cheers for the insight though chief, it all helps get a picture of what to expect.
Old Mar 12th 2014, 9:42 am
Forum Regular

Glad to hear you are prepared mate, you should love it here! Good luck.
Old Mar 15th 2014, 4:30 am
Forum Regular

AlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

I got a Canada Expo email this morning & thought this may be of interest to you, a few employers searching for welders;

BEHLEN INDUSTRIES LP
Over the past 40 years, BEHLEN Industries LP has grown to be the largest manufacturer of steel building systems in Canada. We now serve customers worldwide through a growing network of authorized builders and continue to earn a reputation as a global leader in our industry.
Our success has come primarily through our commitment to quality, innovation and customer service. BEHLEN frameless steel buildings are energy efficient and long lasting, and offer maximum creative flexibility for architects and builders. Our highly trained team and in-house engineering constantly strives to rise above our customers' expectations.
We are looking for
Welders

&

CRUDE ENERGY SERVICES
Crude Energy Services provides a full range of Industrial Construction services to the Oil & Gas Industry in Canada including Plant, Facility & Well Pad Construction and General Plant Maintenance. Crude Energy Services is 100% locally owned and operated out of Lac La Biche, Alberta with current projects spread throughout North East Alberta, Canada. With a number of field projects and the construction of our new 8,600 sq. ft. office complex and 14,000 sq. ft. fabrication facility underway Crude Energy Services is looking to fill a number of positions with skilled personnel including Pipefitters, Welders, Ironworkers, Insulators, Instrument Technicians, Millwrights, Crane Operators, Project Managers, Project Estimators and Project Controls Personnel.
We are looking for:
Steamfitters/Pipefitters
Welders
Ironworkers
Insulators
Project Managers
See the jobs list for more...

&

JBS FOOD CANADA
JBS Food Canada, Inc. is one of the largest employers in southern Alberta with over 2,400 employees and one of Canada's largest beef processors.

JBS has been in the animal protein and food production business for over 50 years. Our long-term commitment is to improve our business globally. We are committed to all of our employees, their families and communities. Our efforts are toward preserving jobs and enhancing our role in the community. We seek to hire highly-qualified people who have the passion to succeed and are committed to doing their best while continually wanting to learn and grow.
We are looking for:
Electrician
Journeyman Millwright
Journeyman Welder

Good luck.
Old Mar 15th 2014, 4:56 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MatthewShepherd
Hi,
What is the best way to get to Calgary
Here's a map for you

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=lhr%0D%...=1&DU=nm&E=180
Old Mar 15th 2014, 5:06 am
Forum Regular

AlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
Old Mar 15th 2014, 5:35 am
Just Joined

Ace cheers for them I'll get them checked out!!