Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Best way to apply? Teacher or FSW with AE?

Wikiposts

Best way to apply? Teacher or FSW with AE?

Old Mar 16th 2010, 9:55 am
BE Enthusiast

debbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of light
Default Best way to apply? Teacher or FSW with AE?

A friend is a qualified UK teacher but currently working in a Canadian bank (on a spousal work permit)... her husband is currently UK military (heavy equipment mech or some such - sort of irrelevant as they intend for her to be the main applicant)

They have looked at AINP and FSW, but don't seem to quite fit anywhere. She's currently employed p/t but current employer willing to offer her a f/t Supervisor role (this wouldn't have LMO etc as it would be internal promotion and she already has a valid wp). If she is in a f/t supervisor role (not O or A, but probably B) with a few months under her belt, can they apply FSW (what used to be fast track as have arranged employment?) with her as the principal applicant?

I'm assuming their points etc are all good - it's the job thing that's the sticking point. I keep going round and round in circles on the CIC webpages. It doesn't look like AINP would work due to job type.

She knows the long-winded way would be to do something about the teaching, but given that she already has a job is keen to try and use that rather than start over.

If this is possible - can anyone help me with a link? What is the definitition of a f/t job? Is it 37 hours per week or is there any leeway?

Thanks to anyone that can shed light - this newfangled system (lol) is more than I can cope with...
Old Mar 16th 2010, 10:54 am
Forum Regular

zippadydoda has a brilliant futurezippadydoda has a brilliant futurezippadydoda has a brilliant futurezippadydoda has a brilliant futurezippadydoda has a brilliant futurezippadydoda has a brilliant futurezippadydoda has a brilliant future
Default Re: Best way to apply? Teacher or FSW with AE?

Originally Posted by debbiem
A friend is a qualified UK teacher but currently working in a Canadian bank (on a spousal work permit)... her husband is currently UK military (heavy equipment mech or some such - sort of irrelevant as they intend for her to be the main applicant)

They have looked at AINP and FSW, but don't seem to quite fit anywhere. She's currently employed p/t but current employer willing to offer her a f/t Supervisor role (this wouldn't have LMO etc as it would be internal promotion and she already has a valid wp). If she is in a f/t supervisor role (not O or A, but probably B) with a few months under her belt, can they apply FSW (what used to be fast track as have arranged employment?) with her as the principal applicant?

I'm assuming their points etc are all good - it's the job thing that's the sticking point. I keep going round and round in circles on the CIC webpages. It doesn't look like AINP would work due to job type.

She knows the long-winded way would be to do something about the teaching, but given that she already has a job is keen to try and use that rather than start over.

If this is possible - can anyone help me with a link? What is the definitition of a f/t job? Is it 37 hours per week or is there any leeway?

Thanks to anyone that can shed light - this newfangled system (lol) is more than I can cope with...
As long as she has an LMO in a skilled job (and I am assuming that Bank Supervisor must be a skilled job but you would have to check that the noc code is on the B list if not A or o) Then she can apply for skilled worker arranged employment straight away (FSW2). All she needs is a lettter confirming that job is permanent and full time from her employer.

I am also a qualified teacher from England and am not on the list for FSW1. Fortunately my husband was able to apply FSW2 as he came over as a skilled worker with arranged employment and LMO. Remember you have to have an LMO.

I have not looked into teaching over here yet but I believe it is difficult to get a job, so have been working in daycare since October. Last week I was looking on AINP website and noticed that my job, Early Years Educator, is on the list!!!! I meet all criterior and my employer is now going to sponsor me also! (belt and braces so to speak.)

So that may be another option if bank job does not work out. There are always adverts for Early Years Educators. Also teaching qualifications equate to supervisor level in daycare so as long as you work for an accredited daycare, the wage is not bad either.

Where there's a will there's a way, or so they say!! I hope it all works out for your friends.
Old Mar 16th 2010, 2:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

debbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks Zippady - but she doesn't need an LMO currently as she has an open spousal work permit at the moment, so can apply and take any job... that's the point really... so she would be in a (permanent) skill level B job, but without an LMO, because she didn't need one to get the job in the first place... So I can't quite get my head around how you would go about getting an LMO for a job you are already quite happily and legitimately doing... albeit on a SWP.

I know that in theory the job is only 'permanent' in so far as you have valid work permit status (ie tied to spouse work validity - happy with that), but can't work out whether actually doing the job then qualifies her to apply for PR. It's making my head hurt! So I know that the person on a TWP (with LMO) can apply for PR with an offer of permanent employment, but can the person on SWP become the principal applicant? (if they have the same offer of employment...)

...that's why it's so confusing. She wouldn't be able to get an LMO for the job - plenty Canadians willing and able - but she would actually already have the (permanent if PR) job...

Of course, if time were no object, she'd just do the job happily for two years and apply CEC, but really they want to get themselves settled as soon as possible...
Old Mar 17th 2010, 1:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Have started a thread with a clearer question - apols for rambling!