Best visa option if any??

Old Sep 10th 2019, 7:31 pm
Forum Regular

glsgls is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Best visa option if any??

Hi,

Just looking for some advise as everyone here seems so clued up!

Myself (age 36) my husband (age 40) and my daughter (age 9) are looking to move to Canada from the UK (British citizens).

We initially contacted an immigration consultant who said given my husbands trade and experience we would definitely be able to get a 2 year working visa. He has 20 years experience as a drywall and ceiling installer (with qualifications) and I am a hospital administrator for the government (have been for almost 9 years) working in a mental health law team for a psychiatric hospital.

The consultants have asked for money before we can even complete the application form and have asked for bank statements already. I have been told that they shouldn’t be asking for this info at this stage. Which makes me think maybe we can just apply ourselves? And do we really need them? We have no criminal convictions, no medical conditions and have funds to support us.

I have looked at the forms online and they seem quite straight forward however I am unsure which avenue to go down. Would my husband have to secure a job first before we can apply as he has no work experience in Canada?

We are happy to go initially with the 2 year visa but just not sure where to start!

Thanks! Gemma
Old Sep 10th 2019, 7:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best visa option if any??

Hi, and welcome to BE.

Originally Posted by glsgls
We initially contacted an immigration consultant who said given my husbands trade and experience we would definitely be able to get a 2 year working visa. He has 20 years experience as a drywall and ceiling installer (with qualifications) and I am a hospital administrator for the government (have been for almost 9 years) working in a mental health law team for a psychiatric hospital.

The consultants have asked for money before we can even complete the application form and have asked for bank statements already. I have been told that they shouldn’t be asking for this info at this stage. Which makes me think maybe we can just apply ourselves? And do we really need them? We have no criminal convictions, no medical conditions and have funds to support us.

I have looked at the forms online and they seem quite straight forward however I am unsure which avenue to go down. Would my husband have to secure a job first before we can apply as he has no work experience in Canada?

We are happy to go initially with the 2 year visa but just not sure where to start!

Thanks! Gemma
Odd, there is no 2 year work permit that your husband can currently get, do you know exactly which visa route they're proposing? To get a work permit, your husband would need a job offer, and a LMIA - this is something the employer has to apply for, at a cost of $1000, to prove that they have advertised the job across Canada and been unable to find a Canadian willing, or able, to do the job. There is a 2 year open work permit but it's a working holiday visa and is only for those aged 30 or under, so not relevant to your husband. I'd suggest you ask them exactly how they propose to get you a 2 year work permit without a job offer. What forms have you been looking at, did they give you the link?

Is there a reason they're not looking at you doing a Permanent Residency application? Have you checked to see if your husband is eligible for an Express Entry app without a job offer? That would certainly be far easier than trying to get a job offer from a sponsoring employer, and much more secure with a family too. On a TWP, you're beholden to that employer (you can't work for anybody else on it, so if made redundant you're scuppered and may well have to return to the UK), and just don't have the security that you'd have if you went with PR.

As you've said above, no need at all to use a consultant unless you have complicated circumstances, and I certainly wouldn't be using whoever you've been talking to as I'm not convinced they're giving you great advice tbh!

Good luck.
Old Sep 10th 2019, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

Hi,

Thank you for your quick response! I think this is why I was so confused as the canada.ca website says everything you have just said...that he needs a job offer or a Canadian qualification for the trade visa. The form I was looking at was the one on the Canada.ca website - I registered here to see if they were easy enough to complete myself. And I only selected that we wanted to work here (rather than move) because of what we were advised...

She (the consultant) said for for some reason we would get this 2 year visa easier than PR. I think we will stay away from this company and consider the PR option again!

Thanks again, Gemma

Old Sep 10th 2019, 8:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

She (the consultant) said for for some reason we would get this 2 year visa easier than PR. I think we will stay away from this company and consider the PR option again!
That may be true, if he's not currently eligible for PR. But I'd check that out first, you can do that yourself on the CIC website, and see if you think he'd qualify for PR now. If so, it only takes approx 6 months after applying, and you'd all go as PR's so much more secure than moving on a TWP. It's easy enough to do yourself.

And I'd still suggest you ask the consultant exactly which 2 year visa she's talking about just in case!
Old Sep 10th 2019, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

Brilliant thank you I will do! I’ll have a look now.
Old Sep 10th 2019, 8:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Brilliant thank you I will do! I’ll have a look now.
It'll probably bamboozle you to start with, but just shout with any questions and somebody will always try and help.

Good luck.
Old Sep 10th 2019, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

It definitely is!! Just having a look now 🤯!
Old Sep 10th 2019, 8:19 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

It definitely is!! Just having a look now 🤯!
Check out the Federal Skilled Trades program as a starting point, your husband may be eligible for that.
Old Sep 13th 2019, 9:06 pm
Forum Regular

Just wanted to say thanks for your advice! It appears with a job offer he is eligible for express entry...and tonight he got an eligible job offer so fingers crossed 🤞🏻Next step is taking the language test
Old Sep 14th 2019, 6:36 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Just wanted to say thanks for your advice! It appears with a job offer he is eligible for express entry...and tonight he got an eligible job offer so fingers crossed ������������Next step is taking the language test
Congrats on the job offer, but two things to check - you say he has an eligible job offer, but if he’s only got it tonight he can’t have a LMIA yet! So it’s not eligible yet. The LMIA is something the employer has to apply for (costs them $1000) to prove that they have advertised the job across Canada and been unable to find a Canadian willing, or able, to do the job. It takes about 3-4 months to get the LMIA usually.

Secondly, have you checked his points score? Being eligible to enter the EE pool is great, but once in the pool he’ll need to be scoring enough to get selected and invited for PR. So do make sure he’s scoring enough.

Is is he planning on applying under the FST program?

Last edited by christmasoompa; Sep 14th 2019 at 6:39 am.
Old Sep 14th 2019, 9:42 am
Forum Regular

Hi, yes we have gone with the Federal Skilled Trades program and it appears he has enough points to qualify. His trade comes under the 7205 or 7284. We are going with 7284 as this is what he has the most experience in (over 20 years). The employer who offered him a job last night has also done the same for other immigrants (English and German) recently so I’m hoping he knows the process. My husband has another couple of interviews this week so we are waiting to see how these go and then decide if to accept the offer. The job offer is in Victoria and we had planned to live around Vancouver so we just want to think it over first. Without the job offer he has the 9000 hours work experience so we would be hoping this would be accepted for him to sit the red seal exam and then would qualify with this added to his profile. Does this sound right?! Thanks 🙏 for all the help! Much appreciated, Gemma
Old Sep 14th 2019, 10:40 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Hi, yes we have gone with the Federal Skilled Trades program and it appears he has enough points to qualify. His trade comes under the 7205 or 7284. We are going with 7284 as this is what he has the most experience in (over 20 years). The employer who offered him a job last night has also done the same for other immigrants (English and German) recently so I’m hoping he knows the process. My husband has another couple of interviews this week so we are waiting to see how these go and then decide if to accept the offer. The job offer is in Victoria and we had planned to live around Vancouver so we just want to think it over first. Without the job offer he has the 9000 hours work experience so we would be hoping this would be accepted for him to sit the red seal exam and then would qualify with this added to his profile. Does this sound right?! Thanks � ���� for all the help! Much appreciated, Gemma
Yes, that all sounds fab, you've got it sorted! Get the employer to apply for the LMIA asap, and then you don't need to wait for PR before moving (most employers won't wait that long for him to start work), he can go on a TWP whilst PR is processed.

Best of luck.
Old Sep 14th 2019, 10:46 am
Forum Regular

Amazing this is such a relief!! 😅. So with the TWP can me and my daughter go then too?
Old Sep 14th 2019, 12:04 pm
Forum Regular

Also - would it be ok for us to apply for PR once we arrive? Rather than do it here? Would it make a difference? Was thinking it might be easier to do if we are already in the country?
Old Sep 14th 2019, 1:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Amazing this is such a relief!! 😅. So with the TWP can me and my daughter go then too?
Yes, absolutely. You'd get an open work permit for the same duration as your husband's.

Also - would it be ok for us to apply for PR once we arrive? Rather than do it here? Would it make a difference? Was thinking it might be easier to do if we are already in the country?
You can do but tbh I can't see why you'd wait. It's all online anyway, and you'll need to get things like a British police cert, employment references, etc, so may actually be easier to sort from the UK. Plus I wouldn't risk being on a TWP for any longer than needed, as you're tied to that one employer so if made redundant (or just hate the job ) you're a bit scuppered. Far better to get PR as soon as possible, so your status is more secure IMO.