Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Best strategy for Permanent Residency?

Best strategy for Permanent Residency?

Old Nov 14th 2013, 6:49 pm
Just Joined

decerca is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Best strategy for Permanent Residency?

Hello,

I have lurked for a bit and I must say that your forum is fantastic. I did my Masters in the UK, but I am not British, so I hope I am not breaking your rules by posting here, and if I do, I offer my apologies.

I am a Costarican national and my ultimate goal is to become Permanent Resident in Canada.

I have a Masters in Environment and Sustainable Development from the University of London, and 6 years of experience in project management in environmental organizations in Costa Rica.

I got a Holiday Working Visa for Canada, but this visa is valid for only 1 year and after that period I would have to go back to my country.

Since my visa is for just 1 year, I would like to try and get my Permanent Residency as advanced as possible during this 1 year period and then get an extension of some type to stay in Canada until I finally get my Permanent Residency approved by CIC.

It seems that Provincial Nomination is the shortest route. Still, I would need to have my Nomination Letter by my 8th month in Canada, so that I am eligible for an Open Work Permit and be able to stay working in Canada to finish my PR process with CIC.

Alberta's nomination seems the fastest one, I would apply under Employer-Driven stream, Skilled Worker category, but I have been told that it would be very hard for me to get, since I would have to apply with just a few months of living there, so I'm a less than ideal candidate and there are a lot of people applying with better profiles.

Is it obtaining Permanent Residency in Alberta as hard as they say? Is my proposed timeline possible? What would be the best way for me to become permanent resident?

Many thanks!
Old Nov 15th 2013, 9:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

vinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best strategy for Permanent Residency?

Hi there, I'm no expert, but you might want to look into the Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program's currently open, but imminently about to close (actually in less than two weeks' time: on November 28th, 2013, if I understand things correctly) 'window-of-opportunity' for suitably-qualified individuals to "self-sponsor" themselves for AINP status. And yes, Alberta does indeed want environmentally-qualified and experienced folk, such as you. Good luck.
Old Nov 16th 2013, 12:54 am
BE Enthusiast

manitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by decerca
Hello,

I have lurked for a bit and I must say that your forum is fantastic. I did my Masters in the UK, but I am not British, so I hope I am not breaking your rules by posting here, and if I do, I offer my apologies.

I am a Costarican national and my ultimate goal is to become Permanent Resident in Canada.

I have a Masters in Environment and Sustainable Development from the University of London, and 6 years of experience in project management in environmental organizations in Costa Rica.

I got a Holiday Working Visa for Canada, but this visa is valid for only 1 year and after that period I would have to go back to my country.

Since my visa is for just 1 year, I would like to try and get my Permanent Residency as advanced as possible during this 1 year period and then get an extension of some type to stay in Canada until I finally get my Permanent Residency approved by CIC.

It seems that Provincial Nomination is the shortest route. Still, I would need to have my Nomination Letter by my 8th month in Canada, so that I am eligible for an Open Work Permit and be able to stay working in Canada to finish my PR process with CIC.

Alberta's nomination seems the fastest one, I would apply under Employer-Driven stream, Skilled Worker category, but I have been told that it would be very hard for me to get, since I would have to apply with just a few months of living there, so I'm a less than ideal candidate and there are a lot of people applying with better profiles.

Is it obtaining Permanent Residency in Alberta as hard as they say? Is my proposed timeline possible? What would be the best way for me to become permanent resident?

Many thanks!
hi,
if you manage to receive PNP within the year you are here, you can then receive a "normal" WP without the dreaded labour market opinion..so relatively easy. Also, with Provincial Nomination you are on the best and easiest road to PR. Why do you say you need the nomination within 8 months though?

I would only suggest you to read through the different PNP and make an educated choice ...saying that switching Provinces if you are aiming for PNP/PR route is not something you aim for.

Look also -obviously- where the jobs are. MB might have a need too..with growing oil/mining industries? ...here it would be 6 month work, then PNP application
Old Nov 16th 2013, 6:07 pm
Just Joined

decerca is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by manitobain
hi,
if you manage to receive PNP within the year you are here, you can then receive a "normal" WP without the dreaded labour market opinion..so relatively easy. Also, with Provincial Nomination you are on the best and easiest road to PR. Why do you say you need the nomination within 8 months though?

I would only suggest you to read through the different PNP and make an educated choice ...saying that switching Provinces if you are aiming for PNP/PR route is not something you aim for.

Look also -obviously- where the jobs are. MB might have a need too..with growing oil/mining industries? ...here it would be 6 month work, then PNP application
I need to have the Provincial Nomination letter as soon as possible because my visa will expire in 12 months and I cannot renew it in Canada, I have to go back home and apply again.

If I get the Provincial Nomination letter by my 8th month, I still have 4 months left in my visa and therefore I am eligible to apply for a Open Work Permit Bridge. Otherwise, when I get to the 12th month on my visa, I am at the mercy of obtaining a LMO for a new work permit or leave Canada.

Thanks for the insight about Manitoba, I researched it and it seems that they are very interested in attracting immigrants, so a PR could be easier to obtain there. Do you think that this is true?

Do you have any idea about the processing times for PR application in Manitoba? It does not say in the website and I email them, but I have not received an answer yet.

Thanks a lot!
Old Nov 16th 2013, 10:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by decerca
Do you have any idea about the processing times for PR application in Manitoba? It does not say in the website and I email them, but I have not received an answer yet.
It will depend on your visa office, you can see average visa processing times here (don't forget to add in 3 months or so for nomination stage) - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...provincial.asp

HTH.