British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   Best Route For PR? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/best-route-pr-943710/)

kmurray1003 Apr 26th 2022 4:09 pm

Best Route For PR?

Hi, i'm a new member and have read through the forum picking up great info to date! :)

My wife and I are looking to move to Canada as soon as possible for a new chapter in our lives. From what i've read to date the best way forward is to get PR. I'm eligible for EE, but when i've checked our CRS score it is coming in at 437 with me as the lead applicant assuming full marks in an English test for both of us. Looking through the forums this seems too low as 470 seems to be the magic number quoted. I've tried putting my wife as the lead applicant, but the score is slightly less than mine due to me having a masters degree over her bachelors.

What would be the best way forward from here? As i'm not sure there is a way to realistically increase our CRS score?

Some info on us:
  • I'm 38 years old, from the UK, have a masters degree in mechanical engineering, have 4.5 years work experience in the aerospace engineering sector (will be 5 years in August) working as a design engineer.
  • My wife is 31 years old, from the UK, has a bachelors degree, has 7 years work experience as a recruitment consultant.
  • We're looking to move to the Ontario province (potentially Ottawa or surrounding areas).
  • English is our main/only language.
I know we have options but would love to draw on the experience of this forum to determine the best way forward?

Thanks in advance! :lol:
-Keith

christmasoompa Apr 26th 2022 4:47 pm

Re: Best Route For PR?

Hi and welcome to BE.

Unfortunately you're right, your score wouldn't be high enough to get PR via EE. Realistically, you're going to need a job offer from a sponsoring employer to get a visa.

However, just checking - one, is your wife British or does she have any other nationality (or route to it i.e. an Irish grandparent)? And does it have to be Ontario or would you consider other provinces?

kmurray1003 Apr 26th 2022 5:46 pm

Hi, thanks for replying so quickly!

We were looking at Ontario, but we would consider other provinces if it made it easier and also if it suited what we're looking for.

My wife is British and doesn't have any grandparents etc. from other nationalities. However, I'm actually Irish if that makes any difference? I currently have an Irish passport but I can also have a British passport (as I was born in Northern Ireland).

christmasoompa Apr 27th 2022 9:32 am

Originally Posted by kmurray1003 (Post 13110466)
My wife is British and doesn't have any grandparents etc. from other nationalities. However, I'm actually Irish if that makes any difference? I currently have an Irish passport but I can also have a British passport (as I was born in Northern Ireland).

Unfortunately, and please don't take this personally, but you're too old for what I was thinking of! :lol: There's the IEC visa, which is a 2 year open work permit, it's for those aged 30 and under in the UK, but some other countries have a higher age limit and it's 35 for Irish citizens. It's a great way to get over and get your points score up with some Canadian work experience but unfortunately it seems neither of you qualify.

Looks like it will have to be a job offer, might be worth looking at other provinces as well and checking the PNP for any that may suit (Ontario is one of the toughest to qualify for).

Good luck.

kmurray1003 Apr 27th 2022 9:58 am

That's a shame as that would have been a great route to take, age catches up to us all it seems! :rofl:

So, is getting a job offer the only viable option for us? As i'd imagine employers wouldn't be that keen to do that as it would take lots of time and would cost them in the long run. And if they were prepared to do it, i'd imagine the job/location wouldn't be attractive otherwise it would have been filled locally?

If either of us got a job offer, would we be better still going down the EE route? Or would a temporary work visa be a better route (think you can get 1-3 year temp work visa)? And if so, would my wife be eligible to work as well? Or would she need her own temp work visa?

If we went down the PNP route, I assume we would need to be in the EE pool beforehand and then if either of our job titles come up, then they reach out to us and invite us to apply? With this way, is it linked to the CRS point based system? For example, if they urgently needed mechanical engineers, would they only offer those with a certain CRS threshold score?

We were both so excited about the prospect of working/living in Canada for a few years, but now feel a little bit deflated as I thought we would have a decent chance given our job roles and education. Just need to figure out how we can realistically make it happen as we knew it wasn't going to be easy regardless! :o

christmasoompa Apr 28th 2022 11:14 am

Originally Posted by kmurray1003 (Post 13110607)
So, is getting a job offer the only viable option for us?

From what you've said, yes, unless you're happy to look at provinces where a job offer isn't always required for the PNP (i.e. Manitoba etc). Unless a study permit to do a masters for your wife is of any interest and you have the funds? Do you know your NOC codes by any chance?

If either of us got a job offer, would we be better still going down the EE route? Or would a temporary work visa be a better route (think you can get 1-3 year temp work visa)? And if so, would my wife be eligible to work as well? Or would she need her own temp work visa?

Yes, if you got the job offer you could still apply for PR, it would give you extra points. But you'd almost certainly want to go over on a work permit whilst that is processing (and realistically, no employer is going to wait a year or so for you to get PR before you can start the job). If one of you got a temporary work permit, the other would get a spousal open work permit for the same duration.

If we went down the PNP route, I assume we would need to be in the EE pool beforehand and then if either of our job titles come up, then they reach out to us and invite us to apply? With this way, is it linked to the CRS point based system? For example, if they urgently needed mechanical engineers, would they only offer those with a certain CRS threshold score?

Not necessarily, there are PNP programs that aren't anything to do with EE. Most provinces have EE related streams (where you do have to be in the pool first - some are points based, not all) and then paper based routes, which are completely separate. What I'd suggest you do is look at other provinces where your employment may work, and where you'd be happy living. You can then check the requirements for the PNP there and see if there is any easier option, or option without a job offer.

HTH.

kmurray1003 Apr 28th 2022 12:43 pm

That has been extremely helpful, that's so much for taking the time to respond :)

From what you've said, yes, unless you're happy to look at provinces where a job offer isn't always required for the PNP (i.e. Manitoba etc). Unless a study permit to do a masters for your wife is of any interest and you have the funds? Do you know your NOC codes by any chance?
I don't think her doing a masters would be an option. Although she did French at GCSE level a while ago and she loves the language. So that could possibly be an option that we explore as i've had a play with the CRS scores and if she studied for that and scored around 50% in the tests, then it would put us >490 points!

My NOC code is 2132 - Mechanical Engineer (I could also make a case for NOC 2146 - Aerospace Engineer as all my experience has been in that sector)
Wife's NOC code is 1223 - Recruitment Officer. Although she has been a recruitment manager for the past 9 months.

Yes, if you got the job offer you could still apply for PR, it would give you extra points. But you'd almost certainly want to go over on a work permit whilst that is processing (and realistically, no employer is going to wait a year or so for you to get PR before you can start the job). If one of you got a temporary work permit, the other would get a spousal open work permit for the same duration.
What is the typical time required to be approved for a work permit? I get times can't be put on these types of things, but if I got job offer tomorrow what would the typical average time be that I could actually move? Are we talking 3 months, 6 months, 12 months etc?

Not necessarily, there are PNP programs that aren't anything to do with EE. Most provinces have EE related streams (where you do have to be in the pool first - some are points based, not all) and then paper based routes, which are completely separate. What I'd suggest you do is look at other provinces where your employment may work, and where you'd be happy living. You can then check the requirements for the PNP there and see if there is any easier option, or option without a job offer.
I've had a brief look at some of the PNP's. I see in BC that mechanical engineers (NOC 2132) have been on the list, but the requirement is that you have a job offer. Ideally we would rather be more to the East (for family visiting etc.), but if needs be we would definitely consider it. Although by the sounds of things if I had a job offer then I could get a work permit anywhere so wouldn't need to do that, unless i'm missing something?

All the various PNP streams are pretty confusing especially as they seem different for different provinces, but I guess that's all part of the fun! :rofl:

Thanks again!

JGK Apr 30th 2022 11:55 am

Originally Posted by kmurray1003 (Post 13110993)

My NOC code is 2132 - Mechanical Engineer (I could also make a case for NOC 2146 - Aerospace Engineer as all my experience has been in that sector)
Wife's NOC code is 1223 - Recruitment Officer. Although she has been a recruitment manager for the past 9 months.

You might want to check in with Professional Engineers Ontario. Engineering is a regulated profession in Canada and you may have to take additional courses exams to meet their requirement..

christmasoompa May 1st 2022 4:29 pm

What is the typical time required to be approved for a work permit? I get times can't be put on these types of things, but if I got job offer tomorrow what would the typical average time be that I could actually move? Are we talking 3 months, 6 months, 12 months etc?

The work permit itself can just be got at the airport when you arrive, it's the LMIA that takes the time, and figure about 3 months for that.

I've had a brief look at some of the PNP's. I see in BC that mechanical engineers (NOC 2132) have been on the list, but the requirement is that you have a job offer. Ideally we would rather be more to the East (for family visiting etc.), but if needs be we would definitely consider it. Although by the sounds of things if I had a job offer then I could get a work permit anywhere so wouldn't need to do that, unless i'm missing something?

Yes, my suggestion was that you looked at other provinces that don't require a job offer under their PNP, but BC isn't one of them unfortunately. Both of your NOC codes are on the list for the Accelerated Tech Pathway program under the Alberta PNP, but again you do need a job offer. It will be the less popular provinces that you might be able to move without a job offer, for instance SK, which would potentially be an option for you without a job offer.

All the various PNP streams are pretty confusing especially as they seem different for different provinces, but I guess that's all part of the fun! :rofl:

They are different, that's the point of them - each provinces sets their own programs and eligibility requirements, so they can get the immigrants they want/need rather than via the Federal programs. There are over 50 routes to PR, PNP streams are most of those, and each has different requirements. So it's a case of trawling through the PNP website for each province I'm afraid.