Best route to BC

Old Mar 24th 2011, 5:48 pm
Just Joined

hoopah is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Best route to BC

Hello!

Having read through the CIC and the wiki here I'm still unsure of a best route to relocating to British Columbia.

A bit of background: I lived in BC for four months doing volunteer work in 2008 and thoroughly enjoyed my time there. I returned to the UK to do a Masters degree which I've now completed and have just recieved my results for. Having looked at the job market I don't think the timing could be better to go back.

My question is what would be the best route? On the self-assesment test I outscore 67 and I worked for a number of years for an occupation on the NOC list (NOC 0213).

I'm happy to relocate to BC to look for a job offer but I'm still confused over which route would be the most practical. Getting a job offer then applying for a LMO looks best as I can't see many employers waiting 6+ months for a AEO. Would a PNP route be better as I'm aiming for a specific province? Can I apply for PR without a job offer?

Sorry this post is so long. Hopefully I've provided enough details but I'm happy to provide more.

Thanks,
Hoops
Old Mar 24th 2011, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

Vbomb is just really niceVbomb is just really niceVbomb is just really niceVbomb is just really niceVbomb is just really niceVbomb is just really niceVbomb is just really niceVbomb is just really nice
Default Re: Best route to BC

I'd recommend BC PNP, the total time from application submitted to PNP office to PR VISA in hand will be around 15 months for me but that's because I submitted the wrong police certificate in the first place...

Since you didn't go to school here, the only way you qualify is if you would get a job offer in that NOC which looks like it qualifies.

Can you get a Canadian experience visa so you can work here for a year? Just get some random job when you get here and then keep applying to the jobs that are within the NOC, with good pay and is willing to keep you permanently and fill out all the PNP forms

I had my employer write a 3 page letter to the PNP office and fill out the form, from that point on it's easy they call me, call my boss and offer the approval

Good luck!
Old Mar 24th 2011, 6:28 pm
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi! and welcome

Originally Posted by hoopah
Can I apply for PR without a job offer?
Quick answer is yes. The Federal Skilled Workers 1 (FSW1) scheme allows for people to apply without a job. It's the same route we have applied under.

As you say, you exceed the minimum points criteria so should be fine to apply under FSW1 assuming you have the relevant job experience required.

Note. The NOC list will change in June 2011, so you might want to consider applying sooner, whilst your job is on the NOC, rather than leaving it until after the changes come into effect.

The last changes to the application process were implemented on 26 June 2010 so processing times for FSW1 is a little up in the air at the moment, but I'd suggest you should expect a minimum of 12-13 months from CIC receiving a completed application in Sydney. If anything I'd expect the suggested time to extend rather than reduce at any point.

For more detailed information on FSW, including courier and mailing addresses, consult the federal skilled worker application package.

Last edited by james.mc; Mar 24th 2011 at 6:31 pm.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 7:12 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the promt replies, much appreciated!

I don't qualify for the Canadian experience visa as I neither worked in Canada long enough (nor studied there). The PR route looks appealing. Can I apply for this and then still look for jobs short term (with eyes on different visa) or are they mutually exclusive?

Due to the rent prices here in London/South East it's almost cost effective for me to go Canada, return to my volunteer placement and look for work from there. If I then got a job offer what sort of timescale am I looking at from offer to getting a visa and starting paid work?

Thanks again!
Old Mar 24th 2011, 7:41 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

You could apply for an International Experience Canada Visa (if you are under 31 for the UK, under 35 for Ireland). This would give you a 1 year work permit (with the ability to apply for a 2nd year) which should give you ample time to find an employer for PNP.

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca...=eng&menu_id=7

Old Mar 24th 2011, 8:29 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

hI

Originally Posted by hoopah
Hello!

Having read through the CIC and the wiki here I'm still unsure of a best route to relocating to British Columbia.

A bit of background: I lived in BC for four months doing volunteer work in 2008 and thoroughly enjoyed my time there. I returned to the UK to do a Masters degree which I've now completed and have just recieved my results for. Having looked at the job market I don't think the timing could be better to go back.

My question is what would be the best route? On the self-assesment test I outscore 67 and I worked for a number of years for an occupation on the NOC list (NOC 0213).

I'm happy to relocate to BC to look for a job offer but I'm still confused over which route would be the most practical. Getting a job offer then applying for a LMO looks best as I can't see many employers waiting 6+ months for a AEO. Would a PNP route be better as I'm aiming for a specific province? Can I apply for PR without a job offer?

Sorry this post is so long. Hopefully I've provided enough details but I'm happy to provide more.

Thanks,
Hoops
0213 Is not on the present eligible NOC list.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 8:54 pm
Just Joined

I was going by this list: http://www.workingincanada.gc.ca/rep...display_allnoc

Is there another list? Or am I even more confused than I thought I was?

Thanks!
Old Mar 24th 2011, 9:32 pm
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
hI

That'll slow things down a bit then!

Maybe the OP was looking at the full NOC and not the eligible NOC list.

hoopah

You can find the NOC eligible occupations list Here
Old Mar 25th 2011, 5:02 pm
Just Joined

Ah, ok thanks. Told you I was confused!

I presume this means my best option is going the LMO/TWP route which would mean getting a job offer?
Old Mar 25th 2011, 5:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Waggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by james.mc
Hi! and welcome

Quick answer is yes. The Federal Skilled Workers 1 (FSW1) scheme allows for people to apply without a job. It's the same route we have applied under.

As you say, you exceed the minimum points criteria so should be fine to apply under FSW1 assuming you have the relevant job experience required.

Note. The NOC list will change in June 2011, so you might want to consider applying sooner, whilst your job is on the NOC, rather than leaving it until after the changes come into effect.

The last changes to the application process were implemented on 26 June 2010 so processing times for FSW1 is a little up in the air at the moment, but I'd suggest you should expect a minimum of 12-13 months from CIC receiving a completed application in Sydney. If anything I'd expect the suggested time to extend rather than reduce at any point.

For more detailed information on FSW, including courier and mailing addresses, consult the federal skilled worker application package.
The NOC list MAY change on 1st July 2011, but there is no guarantee that it will. The previous list was in place for over 2 years, so if the current list does change after only 1 year I cannot see if changing by very much.

Wayne.