Best place to start

Old Apr 23rd 2005, 2:05 pm
weehaggis

Default Best place to start

Hi there

Very new to this and have managed to search as much info as possible.

I am a Gas Engineer here in Scotland and would appreciate any advice, information on where to start with this whole process.

Would you advise to use an agent or not??? How long is the process?? Would you say if I got an offer of employment go for a work visa or not??

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Old Apr 23rd 2005, 2:07 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best place to start

Hi

Originally Posted by weehaggis
Hi there

Very new to this and have managed to search as much info as possible.

I am a Gas Engineer here in Scotland and would appreciate any advice, information on where to start with this whole process.

Would you advise to use an agent or not??? How long is the process?? Would you say if I got an offer of employment go for a work visa or not??

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
You start at www.cic.gc.ca it contains pretty well every you need including processing times.

PMM
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 2:25 pm
weehaggis

Thanks alot. We have enough points so time to start the process.

Cheers

Old Apr 23rd 2005, 2:30 pm
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light

You need to find out which Province you want to settle in - assuming you haven't been to Canada then a trip out here is paramount.

PR is a very slow and tedious process, so anything that can speed up this process is worth considering. If the Province you want to reside in offer PNP programme then this is a fast-track well worth looking into. Work Permit is another speedy option as is Study Permit. With a Study Permit the partner can apply for an Open Work Permit allowing one of you to pretty much work anywhere providing you can secure a job. I would think that if you wanted to continue in your line of expertise that you would have to check that your qualifications can be transferred, or look at what you would have to do in Canada to get yourself up to code.

The cic link that PMM has posted will help you for the actual Immigration application and it offers help in other spheres too which you will no doubt find interesting.

Good luck and enjoy the ride!
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 3:48 pm
weehaggis

Thanks for the info.

We are looking at Ontario. Been out that way a few times but not recently. Heading out next month to have a nosey... bonus of cheap flights from Glasgow makes it easier.

I have loads more questions re cost of living etc. We dont have a house to sell so its just savings of we hope around £10k... not alot I know but hopefully If I can get a job quiet quick it should give us some sort of start. What do you think??

Cheers

Old Apr 23rd 2005, 4:01 pm
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light

not alot I know but hopefully If I can get a job quiet quick it should give us some sort of start. What do you think??

Cheers
I think you will be very lucky if you get a job pretty quickly. You want to look through this forum and run some searches on how long it takes to secure employment........very often well over 6 months! I don't want to put a downer on it, but if you could get a job offer before you move then that would help you budget a bit easier.
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 4:51 pm
Forum Regular

sachdhr is an unknown quantity at this point

Gas engineer you said??? Does it have anything to do with petroleum/ Oil????? if it does then dont try Ontario for jobs.

Try: Alberta and Newfoundland

Both provinces have a LOT of petrloeum related jobs. I have family members who are chemical/ petroleum engineers and earning around $80,000 per year.

If GAS Engineering has to do with petroleum/Oil, it will be easier to qualify for Alberta or Newfoundland PNP program.

Take care.
sachdhr

Thanks for the info.

We are looking at Ontario. Been out that way a few times but not recently. Heading out next month to have a nosey... bonus of cheap flights from Glasgow makes it easier.

I have loads more questions re cost of living etc. We dont have a house to sell so its just savings of we hope around £10k... not alot I know but hopefully If I can get a job quiet quick it should give us some sort of start. What do you think??

Cheers
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 5:28 pm
Here and happy at last

gooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant future

"Gas" in USA and Canada is called petrol in UK.
We call "gas" the alternative fuel to electric heating, fires, cookers etc. So we have gas fires , gas central heating, gas cookers etc. he will deal with that sort of thing I expect.
What do you call, what we call gas??

Originally Posted by sachdhr
Gas engineer you said??? Does it have anything to do with petroleum/ Oil????? if it does then dont try Ontario for jobs.

Try: Alberta and Newfoundland

Both provinces have a LOT of petrloeum related jobs. I have family members who are chemical/ petroleum engineers and earning around $80,000 per year.

If GAS Engineering has to do with petroleum/Oil, it will be easier to qualify for Alberta or Newfoundland PNP program.

Take care.
sachdhr
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 5:37 pm
Premium Member

Originally Posted by gooding
What do you call, what we call gas??
LMAO!! They call it gas too - their is a gas pipeline at the end of my road and it markers every few metres with small noticeboards and they say "gas pipeline" LOL!!
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 6:02 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

If you can get a confirmed job offer it is worth mucho points on the skilled worker application, but it won't actually speed up the process in any way.

If you get a job offer you might opt for the work permit route and apply from within Canada for permanent residency, but bear in mind that your work permit entitles you to only that position which you were offered for which you needed the permit?
(does that make sense?)

So if you were to lose that job you have no claim to stay in Canada; in other words..a gamble. BUT you can be actually IN the country much quicker the work permit route.

Exciting, just starting the journey..I wish you all the best!!

I feel like we are flying round and round over the airport but can't get permission to land ... I want to get off!!!
Old Apr 24th 2005, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

zider is an unknown quantity at this point

You don't say the size of your family unit but 10,000 GBP may not be enough settlement funds, in which case a work permit or PNP may be the way to go. With PN and a job offer you do not need to bring settlement funds...not that they seem to need proof upon landing anyways, but it is required on application for skilled worker that you show sufficient funds readily available or disposable.