British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   Best chance of moving to Canada despite EE freeze? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/best-chance-moving-canada-despite-ee-freeze-943054/)

Limobimo Mar 7th 2022 11:08 pm

Best chance of moving to Canada despite EE freeze?

Hi All,

I'm hoping to move to Canada within the year but that doesn't look like it'll be happening due to the Express Entry freeze so I'm hoping to get some advice on how to improve my chances. Currently, my CRS score is 481 and I would be emigrating on my own but I'll be turning 30 next year so I'll lose some points which I'm apprehensive about (talk about anxiety about ageing!).

I've looked into the BC PNP but that seems impossible unless I have a job offer, which I can't get without PR! I've been in touch with an employer who confirmed that they wouldn't hire me unless I have residence eligibility but also that there a lot of vacancies and job postings. I'm also really surprised to learn that there doesn't seem to be any international recruitment agencies in Canada, particularly in my field because there are loads in the UK.

Are there any (rough?) ideas as to when they will start accepting EE again? I keep seeing that the minimum scores are likely to go up as well which is making me nervous.

christmasoompa Mar 8th 2022 1:34 pm

Re: Best chance of moving to Canada despite EE freeze?

Hi, welcome to BE.

FSW draws are supposed to be starting again soon.

If you'll be turning 30 next year, then the obvious answer would be an IEC visa? Or have you already had one?

Limobimo Mar 8th 2022 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 13099878)
Hi, welcome to BE.

FSW draws are supposed to be starting again soon.

If you'll be turning 30 next year, then the obvious answer would be an IEC visa? Or have you already had one?

Hi Christmasoompa,

I haven't considered the IEC because it's only temporary and I don't think they would be too keen on that in my field. Has there been any indication that the draws will resume soon?

christmasoompa Mar 9th 2022 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by Limobimo (Post 13100020)
Hi Christmasoompa,

I haven't considered the IEC because it's only temporary and I don't think they would be too keen on that in my field. Has there been any indication that the draws will resume soon?

It is only temporary, but would get you over there and mean you would bump your points up considerably once you've worked there for a while. I've not heard of any issues people have had with IEC's, most employers are happy with that as it's for 2 years and you'd state you plan to have PR by the end of it too, but what's your field?

No indication, other than a memo around August time last year saying that draws would resume early this year but obviously that's not happened yet. Just keep an eye out and keep your fingers crossed! Good luck.

Limobimo Mar 10th 2022 9:53 pm

I'm a social worker and didn't think the IEC would be a possibility because I thought I would only be able to work for 12 out of those 24 months. Did I misunderstand this? I'm not sure where the holiday part of 'working holiday' comes from otherwise but I'm happy to go with whichever options is simplest and most efficient so the IEC almost seems to good to be true right now.

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it a lot.

christmasoompa Mar 10th 2022 10:18 pm

I think you’re thinking of Australia, there’s no such restriction for Canada, it’s a full 2 year open work permit. So you can work for all of that time, or none of it - your call.

HTH.

Limobimo Mar 11th 2022 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 13100479)
I think you’re thinking of Australia, there’s no such restriction for Canada, it’s a full 2 year open work permit. So you can work for all of that time, or none of it - your call.

HTH.

Oh wow, I can't believe I didn't know this! I've looked into it and I just need to find a job now. Thank you so much for your help!

christmasoompa Mar 12th 2022 6:20 am

Originally Posted by Limobimo (Post 13100704)
Oh wow, I can't believe I didn't know this! I've looked into it and I just need to find a job now. Thank you so much for your help!

Just in case you’re not aware, you don’t need a job for the IEC visa. It’s an open work permit, so no employment required to get it. I’d get on applying for one asap though, as visas are going fast for this year.

But once you’ve got it, you have a year to enter Canada anyway, so plenty of time to job hunt - or possibly even to get PR via EE in the interim. Hopefully by the time you do go over on an IEC your EE app would be well underway.

I’m sure you have already but do check to see what you’d need to do to work as a social worker in Canada, I believe it’s regulated so no doubt there would be tons of hoops to jump through.

Good luck.

Limobimo Mar 12th 2022 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 13100811)
Just in case you’re not aware, you don’t need a job for the IEC visa. It’s an open work permit, so no employment required to get it. I’d get on applying for one asap though, as visas are going fast for this year.

But once you’ve got it, you have a year to enter Canada anyway, so plenty of time to job hunt - or possibly even to get PR via EE in the interim. Hopefully by the time you do go over on an IEC your EE app would be well underway.

I’m sure you have already but do check to see what you’d need to do to work as a social worker in Canada, I believe it’s regulated so no doubt there would be tons of hoops to jump through.

Good luck.

You're right, I was looking at the Young Professionals scheme in terms of the job but that's not even an option for British people. I've sent my application for the IEC today so hopefully that goes well.

I would have to register and take an exam to be able to work as a SW (which I'm dreading because you don't have to do that here) but I can do at any point before applying for jobs.

On a positive note, I'm feeling more optimistic than I have in ages. This forum is such an amazing source of information and support.

christmasoompa Mar 13th 2022 8:45 am

Originally Posted by Limobimo (Post 13100916)
You're right, I was looking at the Young Professionals scheme in terms of the job but that's not even an option for British people. I've sent my application for the IEC today so hopefully that goes well.

I would have to register and take an exam to be able to work as a SW (which I'm dreading because you don't have to do that here) but I can do at any point before applying for jobs.

On a positive note, I'm feeling more optimistic than I have in ages. This forum is such an amazing source of information and support.

Perfect. Good luck for the IEC, hope you get an invite. Then you can get over there and start working whilst you wait for your PR.

Limobimo Mar 13th 2022 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 13100987)
Perfect. Good luck for the IEC, hope you get an invite. Then you can get over there and start working whilst you wait for your PR.

Thank you, if I do it'll be largely down to you!

Limobimo Mar 18th 2022 11:47 pm

Hi again,

As I said above, I created a Working Holiday profile on Saturday 12th and received the welcome email straight away but on Sunday evening I got an email saying that my application status has changed. My account is very glitchy and sometimes it doesn’t let me log on at all for days but when I finally got in there doesn’t seem to be any changes at all. Is this normal? Has this happened to anyone else?

dquinn Mar 19th 2022 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by Limobimo (Post 13102259)
Hi again,

As I said above, I created a Working Holiday profile on Saturday 12th and received the welcome email straight away but on Sunday evening I got an email saying that my application status has changed. My account is very glitchy and sometimes it doesn’t let me log on at all for days but when I finally got in there doesn’t seem to be any changes at all. Is this normal? Has this happened to anyone else?

I have had this email a couple of times aswell, even though nothing has changed since recieving my invitation. Have you been invited?

Limobimo Mar 21st 2022 9:32 am

Originally Posted by dquinn (Post 13102351)
I have had this email a couple of times aswell, even though nothing has changed since recieving my invitation. Have you been invited?

Hi Dquinn,

No unfortunately I haven’t been invited so I was probably being a bit hopeful that it meant something. Congratulations on your invite!

jordanleanne Mar 22nd 2022 1:32 pm

Hi!

I hope you don't mind me jumping in! We have been waiting on our EE PR application now for over a year with no sign of update. Is IEC a possibility for us? Would it impede our ongoing application at all? My husband is 30 next year, so if this could be an option, I think we'd have to put it in now. As you can't take 'dependents', would it be acceptable for us to each apply individually?