Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Beginning the process...any advice appreciated!

Beginning the process...any advice appreciated!

Old Jun 18th 2011, 12:34 am
Just Joined

soontobeyoungs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Beginning the process...any advice appreciated!

Hi there... I am Canadian and my fiance is British. He is currently here with me in Canada visiting and will be staying indefinately. We are planning to be married this summer and begin the PR process while he's here in Canada. I am hoping to hear from people who have been in a similar situation and would have any helpful hints on this process. Also, we plan to go back to the UK for a month in the fall. Can he leave Canada and re-enter while in the middle of the PR process? Any advice, hints and info is greatly appreciated! Should we take on this process ourselves or hire a firm to do this for us? Is it worth the money to get someone to help us with this? Are there any problems that may pop up that we could expect? I've spent a lot of time on the board reading through threads. Great community! Looking forward to hearing from you... Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 18th 2011, 3:31 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Beginning the process...any advice appreciated!

If you've read lots of threads then you should have come across all the info you need, spousal is the easiest route.

Read through the "outland applications timelines" thread for about all the info you'll need.
Old Jun 18th 2011, 6:49 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

1. Send your application for the police certificate off - http://www.acpo.police.uk/certificates.asp

2. Book your medical - http://www.cic.gc.ca/dmp-md/medicali...ryName=England

3. Complete your application form - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...cations/fc.asp

4. Once you have your police certificate back, along with a receipt for your medical (MAKE SURE YOU GET ONE), you may want to compile the following:
a. Police Cert
b. Medical Receipt
c. Marriage Cert
d. A photocopy of the Canadian birth certificate
e. Photocopies of your passports
f. A small selection of photo’s of your wedding (include shots where family are with you), printed on one or 2 sheets of A4 with a summary below each picture.
g. A covering letter stating you fully intend to move back to Canada to live, including where, upon the success of this application.

5. Pay your fee online, here - https://services3.cic.gc.ca/epayweb/ImmQuestionsConf.do

6. Send your Application form with the above information in the same envelope, by courier (I used DHL), to the following address:

2 Robert Speck Parkway,
Suite 1200
Mississauga, ON
L4Z 1H8

7. Sit and wait patiently.

Be aware that i completed this process a while ago so some requirements or links may have changed.

If you do the Outland application to be processed by London the turnover is around 3 months from receipt and you're able to travel in and out of Canada freely at the usual discretion of the immigration officer.

You really don't need to pay people to do this for you, it's very easy unless there are skeletons in anybody's closet (criminal convictions, previous marriages....etc)

Edited to add: Crikey i'm pretty helpful when i'm drunk
Old Jun 18th 2011, 3:54 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Can you come round to my house in about an hour or so please (intoxicated of course) I'm finishing mudding the basement thanks.

PS nice advice
Old Jun 18th 2011, 4:08 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
Can you come round to my house in about an hour or so please (intoxicated of course) I'm finishing mudding the basement thanks.

PS nice advice
Be there in 10. I'll need to bring the pup though cos he holds the ladder for me.
Old Jun 19th 2011, 5:30 am
Beep

Sorry what? Oh soontobeyoungs it was my pleasure taking the time to help you with this so no need to thank me.

Say again? Oh if you insist, you're very welcome
Old Jun 19th 2011, 6:12 am
Forum Regular

Eilowny is just really niceEilowny is just really niceEilowny is just really niceEilowny is just really niceEilowny is just really niceEilowny is just really niceEilowny is just really niceEilowny is just really nice

Originally Posted by el_richo
1. Send your application for the police certificate off - http://www.acpo.police.uk/certificates.asp

2. Book your medical - http://www.cic.gc.ca/dmp-md/medicali...ryName=England

3. Complete your application form - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...cations/fc.asp

4. Once you have your police certificate back, along with a receipt for your medical (MAKE SURE YOU GET ONE), you may want to compile the following:
a. Police Cert
b. Medical Receipt
c. Marriage Cert
d. A photocopy of the Canadian birth certificate
e. Photocopies of your passports
f. A small selection of photo’s of your wedding (include shots where family are with you), printed on one or 2 sheets of A4 with a summary below each picture.
g. A covering letter stating you fully intend to move back to Canada to live, including where, upon the success of this application.

5. Pay your fee online, here - https://services3.cic.gc.ca/epayweb/ImmQuestionsConf.do

6. Send your Application form with the above information in the same envelope, by courier (I used DHL), to the following address:

2 Robert Speck Parkway,
Suite 1200
Mississauga, ON
L4Z 1H8

7. Sit and wait patiently.

Be aware that i completed this process a while ago so some requirements or links may have changed.

If you do the Outland application to be processed by London the turnover is around 3 months from receipt and you're able to travel in and out of Canada freely at the usual discretion of the immigration officer.

You really don't need to pay people to do this for you, it's very easy unless there are skeletons in anybody's closet (criminal convictions, previous marriages....etc)

Edited to add: Crikey i'm pretty helpful when i'm drunk
I really wish I had known about the possibility of using the outland way of doing things, we're doing inland & it's looking like it will take ages to get things done as there is a major backlog
Old Jun 19th 2011, 5:31 pm
Just Joined

soontobeyoungs is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by el_richo
Sorry what? Oh soontobeyoungs it was my pleasure taking the time to help you with this so no need to thank me.

Say again? Oh if you insist, you're very welcome
Just read your reply...Thank you for your info...I do appreciate it the time you took to respond!
Old Jun 20th 2011, 3:48 am
Beep

Originally Posted by soontobeyoungs
Just read your reply...Thank you for your info...I do appreciate it the time you took to respond!