British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   The beginning of our journey... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/beginning-our-journey-637056/)

rubberduckofdeath Oct 22nd 2009 5:35 pm

The beginning of our journey...

Hi all!

I'm a new member to the site (first post!), so hello!

I'm looking to move to the Calgary area from Surrey, England with my fiancee. We're 27 and 25 respectively and we both work in IT. I'm a development manager (software), so I am valid as a skilled worker. My fiancee is a support manager (IT), so she's probably also valid as a skilled worker. She's educated to degree level (BSc) and I'm educated to 'A' level. I have a Canadian uncle.

It looks like we have reasonable chances of getting a visa at the moment based on these facts - or so I hope!

We're planning to marry in March 2011 and move to Canada shortly afterwards all being well. We imagine our visa applications will go in next summer.

Does anyone with knowledge of these things think we'll be okay with visas based on our circumstances listed above?

Also, how much are the fees to the Canadian government?

Thanks very much in advance and hello again :)

rubberduckofdeath

Simon Legree Oct 22nd 2009 5:40 pm

Re: The beginning of our journey...

Originally Posted by rubberduckofdeath (Post 8037010)
Hi all!

I'm looking to move to the Calgary area from Surrey, England with my fiancee. We're 27 and 25 respectively and we both work in IT. I'm a development manager (software), so I am valid as a skilled worker. My fiancee is a support manager (IT), so she's probably also valid as a skilled worker. She's educated to degree level (BSc) and I'm educated to 'A' level. I have a Canadian uncle.

It looks like we have reasonable chances of getting a visa at the moment based on these facts - or so I hope!

We're planning to marry in March 2011 and move to Canada shortly afterwards all being well. We imagine our visa applications will go in next summer.

Does anyone with knowledge of these things think we'll be okay with visas based on our circumstances listed above?

rubberduckofdeath

If you look at Wiki on the blue bar you will probably find all the answers that you need. Good luck with your journey.

PMM Oct 22nd 2009 10:01 pm

Hi

Hi all!

rubberduckofdeath

1. You state that you are a IT development Manager, note that your experience must be in NOC 0213 (only IT job on the list) and you must have experience in most of the main duties see: http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/...spx?val65=0213
2. You said that you only have "A" level, which will only give you 5 points or if the VO is generous 12 points.
3. You should see if you qualify by taking the assessment at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra.../apply-who.asp

AmyDavid Oct 22nd 2009 11:19 pm

Hi all!

rubberduckofdeath

Just from first glance I would say your Girlfriend is probably the one who would be eligible under skilled worker with her having the degree - she would get more points for her education than you would.

Take a look at this NOC - http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/...l65=it+manager - and see if the work she does is described here.

joinerboy Oct 23rd 2009 7:12 am

Hi all!

rubberduckofdeath

Hi rubberduckofdeath
Welcome to the forum & all the best with your application:)
regards
Joinerboy

rubberduckofdeath Oct 23rd 2009 9:38 am

Thank you for the replies and wishes guys - we're hoping it will all work out okay for us.

With regard to assessment for visa applications - how do the people who perform visa assessments determine that someone's job is applicable to the skilled worker programme? Is it based on us submitting a CV?

Thanks very much in advance :)

rubberduckofdeath Oct 23rd 2009 9:42 am

Originally Posted by AmyDavid (Post 8037795)
Just from first glance I would say your Girlfriend is probably the one who would be eligible under skilled worker with her having the degree - she would get more points for her education than you would.

Take a look at this NOC - http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/...l65=it+manager - and see if the work she does is described here.

We agree! She is a management information systems support manager in the IT department so she is responsible for recruitment of staff, planning schedules, process for dealing with things within the department, meeting with other departments and supporting other areas of the business etc. This means she meets some of the items on the "main duties" list.

Thanks!

chanceUK Oct 23rd 2009 9:44 am

they will check that you have the 1 year minimum qualifying experience in the skilled job on the list by asking you to submit a letter from your employer(s) listing the job dates, duties, salary etc. They may also contact your current/previous relevent employers. They may also ask you to provided job contracts, payslips etc.

rubberduckofdeath Oct 23rd 2009 9:53 am

Originally Posted by chanceUK (Post 8038755)
they will check that you have the 1 year minimum qualifying experience in the skilled job on the list by asking you to submit a letter from your employer(s) listing the job dates, duties, salary etc. They may also contact your current/previous relevent employers. They may also ask you to provided job contracts, payslips etc.

Thank you for the reply - I appreciate it :)

Okay, so long as our employer lists her duties accurately then, we should be okay. I know all of you guys have been through this or are going through this but it's really strange having your hopes and dreams pinned on so many little details..!

Bucks_Family Oct 23rd 2009 10:10 am

Originally Posted by rubberduckofdeath (Post 8038769)
Thank you for the reply - I appreciate it :)

Okay, so long as our employer lists her duties accurately then, we should be okay. I know all of you guys have been through this or are going through this but it's really strange having your hopes and dreams pinned on so many little details..!

Rubberduckofdeath
We're in the same boat, I'm an IT Manager, the wife's a geologist, so we're both on the list. We'll be applying soon, and expect to have to provide such a letter regarding my employment duties when the request for documents comes through.
However, our problem is that I don't want to approach my boss to get him to sign a letter confirming my duties for my application to emmigrate to Canada, as he doesn't know I'm going, and I want to keep it that way until I get the PR (fingers crossed), which will be at 6-9 months for a FSW1 application.
Anyone succeeded in proving their experience without actually formally asking the boss about it?

rubberduckofdeath Oct 23rd 2009 10:17 am

Originally Posted by Bucks_Family (Post 8038789)
Rubberduckofdeath
We're in the same boat, I'm an IT Manager, the wife's a geologist, so we're both on the list. We'll be applying soon, and expect to have to provide such a letter regarding my employment duties when the request for documents comes through.
However, our problem is that I don't want to approach my boss to get him to sign a letter confirming my duties for my application to emmigrate to Canada, as he doesn't know I'm going, and I want to keep it that way until I get the PR (fingers crossed), which will be at 6-9 months for a FSW1 application.
Anyone succeeded in proving their experience without actually formally asking the boss about it?

Good luck with that one. I'm in a fortunate position with my boss, we have a good working relationship and get on well and he'd support us in our application process so we're lucky (my fiancee and I both work for the same company!). What's the "PR"?

Good luck with yours! :)

chanceUK Oct 23rd 2009 10:25 am

PR = permanent residency visa

Bucks_Family Oct 23rd 2009 10:26 am

Originally Posted by rubberduckofdeath (Post 8038801)
Good luck with that one. I'm in a fortunate position with my boss, we have a good working relationship and get on well and he'd support us in our application process so we're lucky (my fiancee and I both work for the same company!). What's the "PR"?

Good luck with yours! :)

PR = permanent residency - the goal of it all :-)
My wife and I also work at the same place, small world, isn't it!
I too get on well with my boss, and he'll support us when the time comes, but he'll also be losing two of his staff and we're only a small company. I don't want to give him any reason to give us the push if the economy demands that someone has to go!
Good luck with yours - let's hope we're not competing for the same job!!

rubberduckofdeath Oct 23rd 2009 10:37 am

Well thanks once again for the replies guys... I'll keep you all posted on our progress. No doubt there'll be numerous requests for information to come! :)

All the best to you that are doing the same as us! :)

rubberduckofdeath Apr 8th 2010 9:27 am

Hi all,

Just a quick one:

We sent off our initial application to Sydney, NS this morning via UPS.

:fingerscrossed:

I'd like to say a big thank you to everyone who has read and responded to my threads, questions etc. I appreciate all of your help.

Thank you.