Beginners help required

Old May 23rd 2012, 1:30 am
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Beginners help required

Hi Everyone,

I have read the forums for a week or so and looked all over the Internet and on the wiki but would really appreciate some words of wisdom from people that have been there and got the t-shirt so to speak

Basically me and my girlfriend would love to move to Vancouver and start a new life there. Therefore I have been doing my home work and at first was not sure if my career/skill bracket would match up to anything.

Well I'm assuming from reading about the NOC category that I consider my skills/career falls under is a general bracket. I work in claims and I have had various titles like claims exectutive,claims handler, claims team leader, I've even done some desk top loss adjusting and so the category entitled loss adjuster/claim examiner seems to fit the bill.

I was surprised that I would be able to get through via the FSW, I'd envisioned the usual trades being on demand such as plumbers, nurses etc. But it's a pleasant surprise if my assumption is correct as work Canada suggests the NOC is a rounded description as such which covers the claims skillet so to speak.

So I'm wondering wether my assumption is correct and if the NOC category's kind of round skill sets up and if I was to apply if I would need to get references to match the job title and description?

I wondered also if wether trying the FSW route and getting a job when I get there is best or trying to get a job first and going through the BCPNP route?

I have some more questions bouncing round in my head but this essay I have just written may be enough to start off with.

Thanks for your time and hop to chat with you all soon

Thanks

Mike
Old May 23rd 2012, 1:50 am
Forum Regular

Siphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant future
Default Re: Beginners help required

You seem to have done a lot of homework already as you say - have a look at this page (you may have seen this already):

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/departm...ce-changes.asp

The NOC code you'd be applying under has a 2006/2011 number - it would be worth checking the descriptions under both to see which one matches your role best.

However... the cap of 10,000 for 2011-2012 has been reached:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...plications.asp

You'd have to wait until late June/early July when it's expected CIC may well update that list to see if your NOC code is still on it before applying.

Otherwise as you've mentioned, you'd have to go the way of the LMO / TWP route initially before going PNP. Nothing to stop you doing that now, but as the list may soon be updated it may be worth you waiting for that.
Old May 23rd 2012, 1:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Without the usual generalizations why Vancouver?
Vancouver is expensive whereas the outlying areas are somewhat cheaper?
Search threads on living in Vancouver.
Personally in this day and age regardless of what stream you might qualify under Id make sure I had a job before coming. Many people arrive without jobs and find it hard. Can it be done Yes but what happens when you are struggling to find work.
What is your NOC code?
What about your girlfriend does she qualify for any of the streams to move to Canada?
Doing your homework is great and being prepared etc but IMHO its getting that job.
Old May 23rd 2012, 3:07 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mikeypm
So I'm wondering wether my assumption is correct and if the NOC category's kind of round skill sets up and if I was to apply if I would need to get references to match the job title and description?
Your assumption is sort of correct, but it's not a 'category', it is a specific NOC code/job and so you must prove that you do meet the criteria under it.

Have you looked at the 'main duties' listed under it etc? That's what you'll need to show that you do on a daily basis to be eligible under that NOC code, and yes, you will need to get references with those duties outlined on them as part of your evidence.

As has been said above, you couldn't apply now anyway, so will need to wait and see if your job is on 'the list' after 1st July. Definitely worth applying if it is though, once you've got PR you'll be much more employable and you'll have several years before you actually have to move, so lots of time to find a job first if you want to try and do that before you go.

Good luck.
Old May 23rd 2012, 4:35 am

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the feedback siphorous, former Lancastrian and christmasoopa

Having read the CIC and work in Canada sites I felt my work experience and skills would cover NOC 2006 1233 Insurance Adjusters and Claims Examiners and NOC 2011 1312 Insurance Adjusters and Claims Examiners. I had noticed it was capped till July. But was not aware it will update in July so that's great information so thanks so much for that.

Formerlancastrian the main reason for Vancouver is that I only have one sister and she lives with her husband and my niece and nephew in Vancouver. So me and my girlfriend love the scenery and the whole vibe of Vancouver and having family there just seemed to make it the best choice.

I wasn't sure of the best way of securing a job over there and still being here as I'm not sure what your average Canadian employer looks for and would want and whether they would consider someone that is not even in Canada as yet?

My sisters husband is Canadian and I was going to get to look over my resume and cover letter. He is an operations manager and being Canadian as well I thought this may help me, but I'm not sure if that's a good idea?

Regards my girlfriend we have been together over 5 and I had thought that she would be classed as a long term partner or common law wife so to speak and therefore we could apply together on the basis of my skill set being the FSW application channel?, as i said above I have only been researching the move for the last few weeks so I could be getting things wrong?

Regards references to confirm my eglilbility can these be from former employers as I haven't told my current employer I'm considering a move in case doesn't work out after all don't want to shoot myself in the foot.

I really appreciate all your feedback and hopefully I'm not being too much for a newbie and asking ridiculous questions.

Thanks mike
Old May 23rd 2012, 4:41 am
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

BTJ is on a distinguished road

But was not aware it will update in July so that's great information so thanks so much for that.
Just because the cap resets in July doesn't mean the list will remain the same. You will have to just wait and see if Insurance Adjusters and Claims Examiners remain on the list.
Old May 23rd 2012, 5:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Having family in Vancouver then makes sense.
Correct about the common law issue and the SOWP option providing your job qualifies.
For a laugh have a look at these 2 websites regarding property in Vancouver and let us know how you got on
http://www.crackshackormansion.com/
http://www.crackshackormansion.com/part2.html
Old May 23rd 2012, 10:42 am
Account Closed

Dave n Ailsa is an unknown quantity at this point

I got three out of 16 on that, lol.

Think I'll stick with the Hamilton Ontario plan
Old May 23rd 2012, 7:24 pm

12 out of 16 on the first part and 10 out of 16 on the second one formerlancastrian i think my recent stay in Vancouver and checking out property prices may have helped .... a fun game though lol

Thanks for the feedback BTJ, fingers are firmly crossed that the NOC I need stays in any update at start of July.

Formerlancastrian with regards to the SOWP does that apply to all FSW NOC's? e.g whether your a nurse or an oil driller for example you can apply together and use the SOWP. Also I have looked about the internet but couldnt see an answer but im British and my girlfriend is Danish, both have EU passports and both of us live in the UK currently and would move to Canada from the UK so would this make any difference to our application?

Thanks

Mike
Old May 23rd 2012, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Your assumption is sort of correct, but it's not a 'category', it is a specific NOC code/job and so you must prove that you do meet the criteria under it.

Have you looked at the 'main duties' listed under it etc? That's what you'll need to show that you do on a daily basis to be eligible under that NOC code, and yes, you will need to get references with those duties outlined on them as part of your evidence.

As has been said above, you couldn't apply now anyway, so will need to wait and see if your job is on 'the list' after 1st July. Definitely worth applying if it is though, once you've got PR you'll be much more employable and you'll have several years before you actually have to move, so lots of time to find a job first if you want to try and do that before you go.

Good luck.
How long does the PR last once you have it then?, I looked at CIC and noticed something about 5 years but is that if you are already living and working in Canada?

Is it therefore possible to apply for PR, if me and my girlfriend get it then we go into Canada so we have landed so to speak use my sisters address in vancouver to get PR card's and anything else sent to and then we could head back to the UK to get the house and car sold, tie up lose ends and look for work in Canada while still having a job in the UK to keep us afloat?

Thanks

Mike
Old May 23rd 2012, 9:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Formerlancastrian with regards to the SOWP does that apply to all FSW NOC's? e.g whether your a nurse or an oil driller for example you can apply together and use the SOWP.
I'm not actually sure why FL has mentioned the SOWP as I don't think it would apply to you. SOWP's are only for the spouses of Temp Work Permit holders, and you'd be applying for PR wouldn't you? So your girlfriend would also get PR, as she'd be a dependent on your application. As long as you can prove you've lived together for a year or more, you'd be 'common-law spouses' in CIC's eyes, so both of you would get PR from your application.

How long does the PR last once you have it then?, I looked at CIC and noticed something about 5 years but is that if you are already living and working in Canada?
Once you've got PR, you have a year from the date of your medical in which to go and 'land' and activate it, and then once you've done that you have to spend 2 years out of every 5 in Canada.

Is it therefore possible to apply for PR, if me and my girlfriend get it then we go into Canada so we have landed so to speak use my sisters address in vancouver to get PR card's and anything else sent to and then we could head back to the UK to get the house and car sold, tie up lose ends and look for work in Canada while still having a job in the UK to keep us afloat?
Yes, that's fine, as long as you are back in Canada after 3 years to maintain your '2 out of 5 years'.

There is info on both of these things in the Wiki, so maybe have a read there.

Old May 23rd 2012, 9:40 pm

I'm not actually sure why FL has mentioned the SOWP as I don't think it would apply to you. SOWP's are only for the spouses of Temp Work Permit holders, and you'd be applying for PR wouldn't you? So your girlfriend would also get PR, as she'd be a dependent on your application. As long as you can prove you've lived together for a year or more, you'd be 'common-law spouses' in CIC's eyes, so both of you would get PR from your application.

Once you've got PR, you have a year from the date of your medical in which to go and 'land' and activate it, and then once you've done that you have to spend 2 years out of every 5 in Canada.

Yes, that's fine, as long as you are back in Canada after 3 years to maintain your '2 out of 5 years'.

THanks so much for the info, I'll check the wiki again as I must have missed that bit

Thanks Mike
Old May 23rd 2012, 9:52 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

THanks so much for the info, I'll check the wiki again as I must have missed that bit
Here you go, these two articles will get you started.............http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Landing_as_PR-Canada and http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Reside...gations-Canada

Old May 24th 2012, 1:41 am

Here you go, these two articles will get you started.............http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Landing_as_PR-Canada and http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Reside...gations-Canada

Thank you very much for the links and your help it's very helpful and definitely food for thought
Old May 24th 2012, 3:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yeah my mistake as thinking like a POE officer When I see FSW mentioned in these threads I think of the applicant applying for the TWP and not presenting the COPR docs hence the do they qualify as the spouse of a skilled worker. We tend to classify COPR holders as Immigrants or PRs and not skilled workers even though they got the COPR via the FSW categories.