Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Been in Canada for 17 years... still no PR

Been in Canada for 17 years... still no PR

Old Aug 10th 2005, 6:38 am
Just Joined

darius25 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Been in Canada for 17 years... still no PR

Hi all, I have a very important question to ask of you regarding my immigration situation. I have been in Toronto, Ontario since Sept 1998 since i was approximately 7 years old. I'm a british born UK citizen, with a valid EU passport. I came as a dependent with my parents and younger brother from India.

Ok so my dad came thru as an Indian citizen, and I'm not too aware of the details. He applied for Permanent Residence - Refugee status which was denied. He then applied for Permanent Landing on Humanitarian Grounds. This immigration status is in process (and has been in process for over 5-6 years). We're not being denied but there is some complications regarding immigration documents needed for my parents from back home in India.

Ok so that's my parents case. For me, I've always been able to work and study. I've had study permits and work permits, I went to elementary school here, graduated secondary school, and Ryerson University with a Bachelor of Commerce degrees. I have worked for a large retail company and I've been recently been working for a large Financial company in Toronto. My work permit is in order, I have excellent credit, and I have a valid British passport (expiring in 2012).

So basically, how can I begin to get a Canadian Citizen status or atleast get a Permanent Residence status. I have a social Insurance number beginning with a 9 and I don't think I'll be able to qualify for a mortgage or car loans or any other loans that other people can acquire. Also I would like to travel, and I know i can do that on my british passport, but i would like to be able to come into this country and start a normal life. Also, I would like to obtain canadian citizenship without leaving this country. I have just started a new job thru this financial company and would like to gain some experience in this field and work my way up.

So how do i go about changing my immigration status. Since rite now i'm being processed under my father's claim (status/application) as a dependant, how would i separate myself from that and open up my own application. What should i apply as. I am 25 years old and am fully able to support myself in this country.

Please help me. Any advice that you guys provide would be greatly appreciated.
Old Aug 10th 2005, 8:04 am
BE Forum Addict

cov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Been in Canada for 17 years... still no PR

Sorry, I don't have an answer to your question, but I'm confused about something you said. If you were 7 in 1998, how does that make you 25 now?
Old Aug 10th 2005, 8:19 am
Remya

Originally Posted by cov-canuck
Sorry, I don't have an answer to your question, but I'm confused about something you said. If you were 7 in 1998, how does that make you 25 now?
I wondered that, then figured he meant 17.

Old Aug 10th 2005, 11:42 am
Just Joined

darius25 is an unknown quantity at this point

sorry guys i meant 7 in 1988, not 1998. I've been here for 17 years now
Old Aug 11th 2005, 12:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Ibraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to all

try PNP if you qualify then that would be a fast process , otherwise you need to apply normally like everyone else, as skilled worker, the fact that you have a work permit and a job in Canada might be helpful.
good luck.