Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Became a landed immigrant today, my flagpole experience

Became a landed immigrant today, my flagpole experience

Old Jan 10th 2010, 6:11 pm
Just Joined

canada_fox is on a distinguished road
Default Became a landed immigrant today, my flagpole experience

Heading down to the North Portal crossing in Saskatchewan this morning I was pretty nervous as I've heard mixed reviews about flagpoling. I can only hope for all those who plan to flagpole in the future you have the same experience as myself.

We got to the U.S boarder and I told the officer I had to become a landed immigrant in Canada and needed to do a flagpole. He was very friendly and told me to take a seat. Around 15 minutes later he called me up and told me I'd be refused entry to the states as I don't have the proper paperwork to enter. He stressed that this won't effect any future plans to visit America as I was refused on a technicality. He wished me the best and sent me off to Canada customs. No fingerprints, no eye scan, no car search, just a friendly smile and good luck wishes.

The lady on the Canadian side was equally as friendly and helpful. There was an issue with my change of status application which we had to go through with her, but she was happy that we showed her a receipt of the fees we payed for restoration and completed the process.

She then gave me a badge and welcomed me to Canada. At this point my wife broke down in tears and the immigration lady had a big smile on her face. She seemed genuinely pleased for us. The whole process took no longer than an hour.

We sent off the application at the end of August and can't believe it's only taken almost 5 months for me to become a landed immigrant.

Many thanks to all those who have answered my questions and guided us along the process. Now I've been through it hopefully I can help other people out.
Old Jan 10th 2010, 8:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

linz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Became a landed immigrant today, my flagpole experience

Congratulations! Pleased it went well for you....best wishes for the future.
Old Jan 10th 2010, 8:33 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jan 10th 2010, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

brummi is on a distinguished road

congratulations

you got a badge?? All I got from the Canadian officer was a scowl ha
Old Jan 10th 2010, 8:56 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations to you both, all the best.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 1:11 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by canada_fox
We got to the U.S boarder and I told the officer I had to become a landed immigrant in Canada and needed to do a flagpole. He was very friendly and told me to take a seat. Around 15 minutes later he called me up and told me I'd be refused entry to the states as I don't have the proper paperwork to enter.
Why didn't you have the paperwork, passport, etc? Are you not eligible for the visa waiver program?

He stressed that this won't effect any future plans to visit America as I was refused on a technicality. He wished me the best and sent me off to Canada customs. No fingerprints, no eye scan, no car search, just a friendly smile and good luck wishes.
The problem is he won't be the one making that decision.

Congratulations otherwise.