Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

BCPNP or TWP+PR, primary applicant

Wikiposts

BCPNP or TWP+PR, primary applicant

Old Apr 25th 2008, 11:41 am
Forum Regular

ScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to all
Default BCPNP or TWP+PR, primary applicant

Hi,
my background is that, im from UK, here with my common law girlfriend of 5 years.
We are both on 1 year BUNAC visas(Exp. Oct), I work in IT as a support technician, category B on the NOC list.
My girlfriend works as a restaurant server. In BC.

After speaking with a consultant, he advised that I do not have enough qualifications to submit a BC PNP application, however I have a diploma, and over 5 years experience in the field. I have been told a uni degree is not necessarily required. He also advised as my girlfriend is a Restaurant Server (and therefore E-LMO would be available) she should be the primary applicant and I should go off the back of that, but mentioned I may have trouble going off the back off that application.
Im not completely sure this is accurate.

Im thinking rather than a BC PNP, would it not be easier for me to apply for a TWP before my BUNAC expires in Oct. and then apply for PR as the primary applicant that way?
My employer is willing to write a permanent offer letter and submit LMO request.
Would anyone suggest anything based on my above info.
Im not sure whether we would be more sucessful with my girlfriend applying as PA or whether my case is stronger, or do they take both cases in to consideration equally when the OH is on there too?
I know a few people like skibunny, Live2Ski have been sucessful from a BUNAC visa but wasnt sure which way to start the application.
Also do you require a LMO before applying for TWP or visa versa? How do you go about applying for the TWP?

Thanks in advance.
Scott
Old Apr 25th 2008, 1:52 pm
lof
Canadian Wet Coaster

lof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BCPNP or TWP+PR, primary applicant

you need the lmo first before you can apply for a wp.

in my personal opinion on the facts you provided (one piece of information that would help: is your job on the hrsdc occupation under pressure list?) i see rather you than your girlfriend as the principal applicant (based on the skill level).

did you talk about the pnp route with your employer? did your employer (i guess an inquiry would be more successful if it is done at least with the backing of your employer) doublecheck with a bcpnp-officer if you would be eligible for the skilled occupation stream? if he would be willing to sponser you and you get nominated by bcpnp before your bunac visa runs out you could apply for a lmo-exempt wp while waiting for pr. and since you are the one working in the "right" skill category (0, a or b) your girlfriend would be able to get an open wp on the back of yours. whereas i think it doesn't work out the other way round.

another thing to consider: if your girlfriend's occupation matches the requirements for the semiskilled stream of bcpnp she needs to be working for her sponsoring employer for at least nine months before they can apply for bc nomination. afaik you wouldn't have this restriction in the skilled occupation stream.

if you take the twp -> pr route keep in mind that a lmo can take quite a while to come through in bc. so the sooner your employer applies for that the better.

time lines for the federal parts of pnp-applications and proper twp-backed fast tracked sw-applications to chc london seem to be pretty similar. being a successful bcpnp i guess the paperwork involved is similar too (exept that bcpnp can be more flexible regarding advertising lengths than hrsdc - and that the job offer lettre for the former must be for a permanent position, while the one for the later shouldn't mention anything about permanent or the like at all!).

good luck - whatever way you choose.

Last edited by lof; Apr 25th 2008 at 1:58 pm.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

ScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to all

ok thanks.
when doing a BC PNP, is the PR app based on points like a SW app?
I did a SW app test and got 88 with 67 required, this was based on the fact I have employment already. Im a bit confused as to why the Immigration consultant told me I didnt have enough education when I have a diploma in computer science.
So to get the ball rolling do I need to get the employer to do anything for the BC PNP app, is it worth applying for the LMO?
I guess i should read up more on PNP.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 4:05 pm
lof
Canadian Wet Coaster

lof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond repute

just in case you haven't found it: http://www.ecdev.gov.bc.ca/ProgramsA...ledworkers.htm

no, pnp is not based on the federal skilled worker points system. simply put: if bc nominates you that's the short cut around the federal points assessment. for a pnp the federal part mainly consist of medical and background checks "only".

i guess your consultant's advise might (!) be based on the kind of diploma you have. on the page i linked to above it states for your category:
Employment requirements:
A relevant university degree or 2-year college diploma, and several years of directly related work experience.
as i said the paperwork involved for pnp and for a lmo looks similar to me. and for both of them your wage must be the same as the wage a canadian in your position would earn.
while pnp is a joint application - you and your employer put a package together which contains your forms, job offer lettre and things like a company profile (have a look at the checklist provided on the bcpnp-site), and costs cad 550 (my employer and me split it in half...) - the employer applies for the lmo. if i got that right a lmo-application isn't charged for.
once you get your nomination or the lmo is approved you have to apply for your wp (i suggest the poe-route for that) and pay your cad 150.

for the following i'm assuming your job isn't on the occupations under pressure list for bc: if your employer can back up the lmo application with a watertight canada-wide advertising history for your position that would safe them (or you or both) some bucks and possibly the one or the other written statement if it's a small company which hasn't the company profile handy or so.

one of the advantages of the pnp on the other hand is that they are more flexible - specially with the advertising thing (i was here on a young workers exchange program, and part of my job was "created" in that year because i filled a need of the company... my employer sponsored me to keep me in that position - why should they have advertised that job? we were honest about that in our application - and haven't had any problems.)

i was about to say that if you applied for pnp the coming monday you might be pr by october - but i think it isn't perfectly realistic to count on that. bcpnp has a nomination time estimate of 8 to 10 weeks now. there have been london time lines of around 4 months... but... at least you were able to put your decision to get your new wp (lmo-exempt if backed up with a recommendation lettre from the bcpnp office) as close as possible to the expiry date of your bunac visa.

one thing to consider for you that just jumped into my mind: as the name says pnp is meant for people who intend to establish their life in the according province, bc in your case. if you want to keep your options open to move to another province in a shorter time frame lmo -> pr would probably the "fairer" and "cleaner" solution if you have the choice. but who would move away from the best place of earth
Old Apr 25th 2008, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

Excellent, thank you very much, its starting to make more sense.
So ill start putting together a PNP application with my employer. Do you know what criteria the PNP is based on?

Quote:
Employment requirements:
A relevant university degree or 2-year college diploma, and several years of directly related work experience.

I have a 2 year college diploma, and over 4 years in the field so I should be good for this criteria.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 4:20 pm
lof
Canadian Wet Coaster

i just wondered...

reading the wiki about fast tracking the pr application it doesn't say that the wp CANNOT be a bunac visa - as long as that is valid for exactly 365 days.

assuming that you have your complete and well documented pr-application package together, send that off to london next week... five months 'til getting the pr-visa could (!) work out.

but before you start this time gamble with the risk of heading home for a couple of weeks when your bunac visa runs out - check with the experts like andrew if it can be done that way. i'm really speculating here.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 4:26 pm
lof
Canadian Wet Coaster

Originally Posted by ScottDrummer
Excellent, thank you very much, its starting to make more sense.
So ill start putting together a PNP application with my employer. Do you know what criteria the PNP is based on?

Quote:
Employment requirements:

I have a 2 year college diploma, and over 4 years in the field so I should be good for this criteria.
http://www.ecdev.gov.bc.ca/ProgramsA...quirements.htm
Old Apr 25th 2008, 4:38 pm
Forum Regular

thanks again lof you have been a great help

one concern is
"The employer must have been in operation in BC for at least one year and must have at least five permanent, full-time employees in BC. The BC PNP may consider applications that do not meet these minimum requirements if an employer has substantial business operations outside of BC, or can present a compelling business case, and provided that the employer has received prior approval from the BC PNP to submit an application."
My employer has been in business for 7 years, but only currently has 4 employees, but is due to hire one more employee soon.
What does a 'compelling business case' constitute? and is this a definite requirement or down to the PO's discretion. I guess this is a question for the PO office.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 4:43 pm
lof
Canadian Wet Coaster

sorry, no idea.

just contact them. we found them really helpful.

good luck!
Old Apr 26th 2008, 3:36 am
Forum Regular

Ok,
Just a question in advance...
Do I use the form for "LMO Online Application/EMP5239B" or "Arranged Employment Application for Skilled Workers/EMP5275B" ?

Thanks
Old Apr 26th 2008, 8:32 am
lof
Canadian Wet Coaster

seems i lost you somewhere along the route . which particular way or step on which way that are you talking about?

i tried to say the work involved with filling out forms and putting together the application for the first step of the process is similar. once you and your employer have decided on a route bcpnp and lmo/wp are a completely different pair of shoes. which means bcpnp has their own set of application forms.

i'm not the very best person when it comes to explaining stuff which is clear to me have you had a look at the wiki which compares the two routes?
Old Apr 26th 2008, 8:33 am
Forum Regular

oh right so you dont have to do the LMO/WP route on PNP, ok. Ill get round to looking at the wiki today hopefully
Old Apr 26th 2008, 9:00 am
lof
Canadian Wet Coaster

no, you do not need a lmo for the skilled occupations route of bcpnp - always talking about you as the main applicant.

if your girlfriend with her current job as a food / beverage server would be the main applicant the story would be different (semi-skilled stream).
Old Apr 26th 2008, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

Ok, im now understand the differences in the processes after reading the wiki article.
I will start to fill in the BC PNP application on Monday.
How far into your family tree do you go when noting down your family members on page 2, i guess its just immediate family, parents, siblings etc...?
also is it important to indicate the job was advertised or does it not matter so much for PNP?
Old Apr 26th 2008, 9:12 am
lof
Canadian Wet Coaster

can you point me to the form your question is related to? normally they are just talking about spouse and children.
there is one federal form which has a section that asks specificly for the information of parents and siblings though...

about advertising: if your employer did advertise - check the according box and submit the according documents (like a copy of the ad and the like). if he didn't be honest about it and perhaps explain the circumstances in a cover lettre. as i said i think it is not as important as with hrsdc. but the stronger and better documented your case is the better.

Last edited by lof; Apr 26th 2008 at 9:17 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.