British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   BC Tech Pilot (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/bc-tech-pilot-929622/)

Whitehat Dec 3rd 2019 4:47 am

BC Tech Pilot

Hi!

I’ve read up on the BC Tech Pilot programme and seeing as i’m currently working in one of the 29 “in demand” jobs I can technically apply for the nomination certificate.

My plan is to use the certificate to give me 600 CRS which I can then use to apply for the Express Entry CEC stream.

Here’s my dilemma:

I will gain 1 year of skilled experience in August 2020 (enabling me to be eligible for the CEC). BUT, the BC Tech Pilot has been extended to June 2020. Seeing as I meet the one year eligibility for the CEC in August I don’t know if I should go and apply for the Nomination certificate (or if that’s possible).

Can I apply for the nomination process now? And then wait till August to actually use the it?

Thanking you all in advance.

Siouxie Dec 3rd 2019 5:43 am

Re: BC Tech Pilot

Originally Posted by Whitehat (Post 12773001)
Hi!

I’ve read up on the BC Tech Pilot programme and seeing as i’m currently working in one of the 29 “in demand” jobs I can technically apply for the nomination certificate.

My plan is to use the certificate to give me 600 CRS which I can then use to apply for the Express Entry CEC stream.

Here’s my dilemma:

I will gain 1 year of skilled experience in August 2020 (enabling me to be eligible for the CEC). BUT, the BC Tech Pilot has been extended to June 2020. Seeing as I meet the one year eligibility for the CEC in August I don’t know if I should go and apply for the Nomination certificate (or if that’s possible).

Can I apply for the nomination process now? And then wait till August to actually use the it?

Thanking you all in advance.

Once you have been nominated (via the Tech Pilot) you would apply for PR under the Express Entry Provincial Nomination Program - - It says that on the guidelines :)
https://www.welcomebc.ca/Immigrate-to-B-C/B-C-Provincial-Nominee-Program/BC-PNP-Tech-Pilot
https://www.welcomebc.ca/getmedia/31...-2018.pdf.aspx

We always recommend that you apply as soon as you qualify for any stream - things change fast, including which jobs are in demand. In order to use the points for EE you will need to apply within a time limit from when you are nominated.. so the sooner you get started the better... if you qualify now for the tech pilot and have the necessary job offer / contract and funds, don't delay. I don't believe you would be able to apply now and use that certificate in August.. you will have a limited time to apply for PR. The tech pilot may not get extended ater June, again, - so without those 600 points, would you even get an invite from the EE under CEC?

:)

Whitehat Dec 3rd 2019 5:53 am

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 12773020)
Once you have been nominated (via the Tech Pilot) you would apply for PR under the Express Entry Provincial Nomination Program - - It says that on the guidelines :)
https://www.welcomebc.ca/Immigrate-to-B-C/B-C-Provincial-Nominee-Program/BC-PNP-Tech-Pilot
https://www.welcomebc.ca/getmedia/31...-2018.pdf.aspx

We always recommend that you apply as soon as you qualify for any stream - things change fast, including which jobs are in demand. In order to use the points for EE you will need to apply within a time limit from when you are nominated.. so the sooner you get started the better... if you qualify now for the tech pilot and have the necessary job offer / contract and funds, don't delay. I don't believe you would be able to apply now and use that certificate in August.. you will have a limited time to apply for PR. The tech pilot may not get extended ater June, again, - so without those 600 points, would you even get an invite from the EE under CEC?

:)

I see. It would be hard to get an ITA as the last time I checked my CRS score with one year of canadian work XP I would get 437.. hence why i’m in a pickle.

Siouxie Dec 3rd 2019 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by Whitehat (Post 12773023)

I see. It would be hard to get an ITA as the last time I checked my CRS score with one year of canadian work XP I would get 437.. hence why i’m in a pickle.

So you see if you can get PNP through the TECH pilot and that would give you enough points to get an ITA.. you don't NEED the 1 year of Canadian work experience for points value... you could be overseas with zero Canadian experience and get the points for the TECH pilot, for instance, provided you would qualify as a skilled worker (i.e. have work experience outside of Canada / IELTS / etc and total 67 or more points, making you eligible to enter the pool) . https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ess-entry.html - can you check that for us? (Are you are working in Canada under an IEC work permit? When does it expire?)
apply under a Skills Immigration category in an eligible tech occupation must have a job offer of at least one year (365 days) in length. The job offer must have at least 120 days remaining at the time of application to the BC PNP.

Longer duration job offers, including indeterminate job offers, will continue to be eligible.
To apply, you need a job offer in one of the 29 key technology occupations from an eligible B.C. employer.
The more info you can give, the more we can help :)

christmasoompa Dec 3rd 2019 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by Whitehat (Post 12773001)

Just to clarify, if you receive provincial nomination, then you would be applying for PR via PNP - not CEC. You must apply for PR via the PNP within 6 months of receiving the nomination, or have to start the process again. Personally if your points score is 437 then I'd apply now anyway in the hope that the points level drops a bit, and pursue the tech pilot program as well.

I agree with Siouxie, if you can give us more info about your current job and what kind of work permit you're on in Canada, we can try and help further.

Siouxie Dec 3rd 2019 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 12773313)
Just to clarify, if you receive provincial nomination, then you would be applying for PR via PNP - not CEC. You must apply for PR via the PNP within 6 months of receiving the nomination, or have to start the process again. Personally if your points score is 437 then I'd apply now anyway in the hope that the points level drops a bit, and pursue the tech pilot program as well.

I agree with Siouxie, if you can give us more info about your current job and what kind of work permit you're on in Canada, we can try and help further.

This!!!

If you were nominated for PNP via the Tech pilot it would give you 600 points in addition to any you might already have - for Express Entry PNP - as I might have mentioned a few times already :D

Do you have 67 points to be able to apply under Express Entry?

Whitehat Dec 4th 2019 2:54 am

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 12773353)
This!!!

If you were nominated for PNP via the Tech pilot it would give you 600 points in addition to any you might already have - for Express Entry PNP - as I might have mentioned a few times already :D

Do you have 67 points to be able to apply under Express Entry?

About me:

Currently on a 2 Year IEC Working Holiday Open Work Permit (issued on August 2019).

Education: 2 years post secondary diploma in Canada.

2 year Post Secondary certificate UK. (Don’t think this matters as it’s kind of the same as the canadian dilploma but might be worth getting evaluated via WES).

(The big one): Work Experience - 0 Foreign Work Experience

12 months of Skilled NOC Type B work experience as a user support technician (under a Co-Op Work Permit).

Working under the IEC WP from August 2019 under the same job title (user support tech NOC 2282).

My plan is to apply for the BC Tech pilot nomination in August 2020 as I’ll be eligible to the PNP EE CEC option (1 yr of skilled work xp under the IEC WP).

Or.... If the BC Tech Pilot removes my job by June 2020...

I will apply for a bc pnp as I would have 2 years of skilled experience in Oct 2020 as they count coop work experience. Then apply for the bc pnp pr option

christmasoompa Dec 4th 2019 8:16 am

Originally Posted by Whitehat (Post 12773591)
12 months of Skilled NOC Type B work experience as a user support technician (under a Co-Op Work Permit).

You're not on a 'co-op work permit' if you're on an IEC - can you clarify which it is? They're two very different things. A co-op work permit is for students to gain work experience during their studies.

Originally Posted by Whitehat (Post 12773591)
My plan is to apply for the BC Tech pilot nomination in August 2020 as I’ll be eligible to the PNP EE CEC option (1 yr of skilled work xp under the IEC WP).

Again, these are two different visa routes and have no bearing on each other. Being eligible for CEC isn't relevant to the BC PNP, the two routes can't be combined in any way.

One last question, you say you have no work experience other than that in Canada, but you're in your early 20's - is that right? Have you never worked before last August?

Whitehat Dec 5th 2019 4:43 am

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 12773707)
You're not on a 'co-op work permit' if you're on an IEC - can you clarify which it is? They're two very different things. A co-op work permit is for students to gain work experience during their studies.

Again, these are two different visa routes and have no bearing on each other. Being eligible for CEC isn't relevant to the BC PNP, the two routes can't be combined in any way.

One last question, you say you have no work experience other than that in Canada, but you're in your early 20's - is that right? Have you never worked before last August?

I was on my Co-Op work permit from Oct 2018 - Aug 2019 (this is when i accumulated nearly a year of skilled Canadian work experience).

I then activated my IEC Working holiday WP (valid for 2 years) which i’m currently on. This permit was activated in Aug 2019.

I am on the 2 Year IEC Working Holiday Work Permit which is valid from August 2019 - August 2021.

Oh, I was under the impression that, (if eligible; which I am) you can apply for the BC Tech Pilot - get the nomination certificate and then apply for the EEBC - Skilled Worker (Canadian Experience Class) option?

Finally, I have been working in a NOC Type B job in Canada when I was on my Co-Op WP before Aug 2019. I worked from Oct 2018 - Aug 2019 in a skilled job under the coop work permit.

christmasoompa Dec 5th 2019 8:25 am

Originally Posted by Whitehat (Post 12774261)
I was on my Co-Op work permit from Oct 2018 - Aug 2019 (this is when i accumulated nearly a year of skilled Canadian work experience).

I then activated my IEC Working holiday WP (valid for 2 years) which i’m currently on. This permit was activated in Aug 2019

Ah, got ya. Didn't realise you'd had both.

Oh, I was under the impression that, (if eligible; which I am) you can apply for the BC Tech Pilot - get the nomination certificate and then apply for the EEBC - Skilled Worker (Canadian Experience Class) option?

I'm really not sure how many other ways we can say this! They are two completely different routes to PR and can't be mixed. If you get nomination from a province, then you can only use that to apply for PR via that province, you can't use it for a Federal route. As part of your application for nomination, you commit to applying for PR via the province that's sponsoring you within 6 months. Siouxie has given you pertinent links above that it would be worth you reading, and this FAQ has more info on the process - https://www.welcomebc.ca/getmedia/31...-2018.pdf.aspx

Finally, I have been working in a NOC Type B job in Canada when I was on my Co-Op WP before Aug 2019. I worked from Oct 2018 - Aug 2019 in a skilled job under the coop work permit.

OK, but you only score 437 on the CRS, is that right? So you probably need nomination to score enough.

Hopefully now you understand that CEC has nothing to do with the tech pilot/PNP, so you can just apply now and hopefully get your PR app underway well before August!

Whitehat Dec 5th 2019 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 12774317)
Ah, got ya. Didn't realise you'd had both.

I'm really not sure how many other ways we can say this! They are two completely different routes to PR and can't be mixed. If you get nomination from a province, then you can only use that to apply for PR via that province, you can't use it for a Federal route. As part of your application for nomination, you commit to applying for PR via the province that's sponsoring you within 6 months. Siouxie has given you pertinent links above that it would be worth you reading, and this FAQ has more info on the process - https://www.welcomebc.ca/getmedia/31...-2018.pdf.aspx

OK, but you only score 437 on the CRS, is that right? So you probably need nomination to score enough.

Hopefully now you understand that CEC has nothing to do with the tech pilot/PNP, so you can just apply now and hopefully get your PR app underway well before August!

Thanks for the link - I'll read through it and then view the FAQs on this website to get a better understanding later. And, I will have 437 when I complete One year's worth of Skilled Work Experience. Can I really apply now though? Wouldn't I need at least two years of work experience before to be eligible to apply for BC PNP?

I feel like i'm being a slight nuisance by asking you all these questions lol.

christmasoompa Dec 5th 2019 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by Whitehat (Post 12774469)
Wouldn't I need at least two years of work experience before to be eligible to apply for BC PNP?

Depends on the stream. Only you know what you'd actually be eligible for, but you mention having studied a 2 year diploma in Canada, so you could look at the International Graduate stream? https://www.welcomebc.ca/Immigrate-t...ional-Graduate

If not, then have a look at all the others and see if you can find one that fits.

And not a nuisance at all, that's what BE is here for.

Siouxie Dec 5th 2019 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by Whitehat (Post 12774469)
Thanks for the link - I'll read through it and then view the FAQs on this website to get a better understanding later. And, I will have 437 when I complete One year's worth of Skilled Work Experience. Can I really apply now though? Wouldn't I need at least two years of work experience before to be eligible to apply for BC PNP?

I feel like i'm being a slight nuisance by asking you all these questions lol.

You mention that you undertook a 2 year course in Canada - what did you obtain from the 2 year course.. a degree? When did you graduate?

Did you apply for / obtain a Post Graduate Work permit afterwards? https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/a...&q2_options=2e
(not to be confused with co-op working whilst ON the course... two different things :)

Could I strongly suggest that you read all information on the links you have been given - but questions are never a nuisance... ask away!
Lastly, could you please take both the FSW (which shows if you can apply through Express Entry or will definitely need to go through PNP) and CRS points (to determine your points NOW for EE) wizards and post the answers - from there we can see where you need to be :). https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ess-entry.html

Tell us the whole story - help us to help you :)

Whitehat Dec 6th 2019 5:30 am

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 12774471)
Depends on the stream. Only you know what you'd actually be eligible for, but you mention having studied a 2 year diploma in Canada, so you could look at the International Graduate stream? https://www.welcomebc.ca/Immigrate-t...ional-Graduate

If not, then have a look at all the others and see if you can find one that fits.

And not a nuisance at all, that's what BE is here for.

Thank you, i’ll be sure to have a good read through the resources you provided.

Whitehat Dec 6th 2019 5:36 am

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 12774489)
You mention that you undertook a 2 year course in Canada - what did you obtain from the 2 year course.. a degree? When did you graduate?

Did you apply for / obtain a Post Graduate Work permit afterwards? https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/a...&q2_options=2e
(not to be confused with co-op working whilst ON the course... two different things :)

Could I strongly suggest that you read all information on the links you have been given - but questions are never a nuisance... ask away!
Lastly, could you please take both the FSW (which shows if you can apply through Express Entry or will definitely need to go through PNP) and CRS points (to determine your points NOW for EE) wizards and post the answers - from there we can see where you need to be :). https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ess-entry.html

Tell us the whole story - help us to help you :)

I graduated from my 2 year Diploma in July 2019. I was not eligible for a PGWP as I attended a Private College (which aren’t eligible for PGWP’s). - This is why I applied early for my IEC and activated it in August 2019 (right after I graduated).

I will definitely make sure to read the resources you and Christmasoompa have highlighted.

And sure, I’ll check my scores for both FSW and CRS, once done, I’ll post a reply with the points.