Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

BC pnp, now PR, visa issues if working in AB?

BC pnp, now PR, visa issues if working in AB?

Old May 17th 2015, 6:58 am
finally together...

__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute
Default BC pnp, now PR, visa issues if working in AB?

We have PR, and I'm trying to find out if one of us could work out of province while maintaining our BC home (do NOT want to move!) so is PR Canada wide? We don't want to jeopardise our eventual citizenship (about a year till we can apply) but work has dried up and we are finding it tough to keep up.
Thanks in advance.xx
Old May 17th 2015, 7:43 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BC pnp, now PR, visa issues if working in AB?

Originally Posted by __TJ__
We have PR, and I'm trying to find out if one of us could work out of province while maintaining our BC home (do NOT want to move!) so is PR Canada wide? We don't want to jeopardise our eventual citizenship (about a year till we can apply) but work has dried up and we are finding it tough to keep up.
Thanks in advance.xx
Yes.
Old May 17th 2015, 7:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Journeyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of light

Just my opinion
Shouldn't be an issue provided the BC PNP does not have any conditions on your PR visa, also who is the principle applicant that was nominated by the province is the the person seeking opportunities outside BC. IMHO I would contact your PNP rep to get actual perspective on your status and possible implications.

BTW Alberta Oil & Gas is drying up and most of the work is now in BC so if you're in this industry your swimming against the flow.
Old May 17th 2015, 8:59 am
finally together...

__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute

He's a crane driver, and oil sands are deconstructing so there's plenty of work there for him. We have a house in BC and no intention of moving the kids but he could fly in fly out for a while to make some cash before it gets busy again here in the fall, there's several projects coming up but not till then, and I can't work til we stabilise my autistic who is dealing with depression, so not in school etc.
Old May 17th 2015, 9:27 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

To expand on my earlier brief answer, once you are permanent residents you have the absolute right to live and work anywhere in Canada subject only to provincial licensing requirements for your occupation.

For someone who achieved PR status as a result of provincial nomination the potential jeopardy (and AFAIK this is just a theoretical jeopardy) would be if you intended to live in a province other than the one that nominated you at the time you were nominated. In your situation this is clearly not the case so no worries at all.
Old May 17th 2015, 10:14 am
finally together...

Thanks Jon. Yes we are definitely settling in BC. I'm never moving again!
Old May 20th 2015, 4:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Juggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think it would affect your PR application, i use to work for a trucking company that recruited canada wide, i was based in Winnipeg back then but the company was not in that province, in the last few months a brit i recruited got his PR in the circumstances that you are asking about, corporate for that company is in a different province and he's waiting to flag pole now. There are people on here who are more up to speed than i am now as i'm no longer involved with immigration but i doubt that has changed, but as advised seek advice to be certain.
Old May 20th 2015, 4:47 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by __TJ__
We don't want to jeopardise our eventual citizenship (about a year till we can apply)
I don't think it is I'm afraid, I think it's more like the end of 2017/beginning of 2018, if your timeline is correct - in case you're not aware of the imminent changes, it'll be 4 years as a PR before you can apply for citizenship.

But in answer to your question, it's fine to work in another province if you can't find work in the one that nominated you. The only possible issue would be if you got PR and then immediately moved to another province, but that's clearly not the case here.

HTH.