Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

BC PNP Issued TWP expiring in two months... and PR not yet issued

BC PNP Issued TWP expiring in two months... and PR not yet issued

Old Apr 19th 2011, 5:23 am
Britnadian

hpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of light
Default BC PNP Issued TWP expiring in two months... and PR not yet issued

Ok, here's the situation... my Temporary Work Permit, organised through the BC PNP Program, will expire in 2 months time.

Now, normally at this stage, most folks have their PR, but there is no sign of my passport request email yet. Last action was about 3 weeks ago when I got news my file had gone from Buffalo to Seattle.

At this stage, I'm getting nervous that the PPR will not come in time for me to get passport to Seattle and for it to be returned in time.

What are my options I suppose is the question?

I was thinking I could ask for another TWP authorisation letter from the BC PNP program, and get another TWP on my way back from a shopping trip to the US this weekend.
And/or
Email to Seattle and point out that in 2 months my TWP will expire?

Thoughts?
Old Apr 19th 2011, 10:51 am
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

BTJ is on a distinguished road
Default Re: BC PNP Issued TWP expiring in two months... and PR not yet issued

Originally Posted by hpka
Ok, here's the situation... my Temporary Work Permit, organised through the BC PNP Program, will expire in 2 months time.

Now, normally at this stage, most folks have their PR, but there is no sign of my passport request email yet. Last action was about 3 weeks ago when I got news my file had gone from Buffalo to Seattle.

At this stage, I'm getting nervous that the PPR will not come in time for me to get passport to Seattle and for it to be returned in time.

I was thinking I could ask for another TWP authorisation letter from the BC PNP program, and get another TWP on my way back from a shopping trip to the US this weekend.
And/or

Thoughts?
Sounds like a good idea. You may get an irritable IO when you re-enter requesting a new TWP as they prefer you apply via mail, which you also could, but that means you cannot re-enter Canada if your new TWP isn't issued but your old one has expired (though you can keep working - implied status).

BC PNP should be more than willing to provide you with a new letter, at least I assume they will be more than willing.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 1:36 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

And/or

Thoughts?
Definately contact BC PNP and ask for a new letter but also contact Seattle and let them know it expires in 2 months - I assume you have done your medicals and paid your RPRF and are only waiting for passport requests now?

I had to do the same thing with Buffalo as they e-mailed me to say they would issue our ppr in June - which would have been one month AFTER our TWP would have expired - I responded (CC'ing the Program Manager for Buffalo in) and explained that I needed it before that date. They then issued PPR that day.

If you need the Seatle Program Manager's e-mail details - let me know.

Good luck.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 3:20 pm
Britnadian

hpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of light

Correct. Full fee was paid at the time of application and medicals were done in November.

One more complication that I forgot to mention... my passport expires in August! All of this timing seemed OK a year ago.

This might add further weight to the "email Seattle" approach... but assuming I do do the TWP route... can that TWP be issued for longer than the passport's validity?
Old Apr 19th 2011, 3:50 pm
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

Correct. Full fee was paid at the time of application and medicals were done in November.

One more complication that I forgot to mention... my passport expires in August! All of this timing seemed OK a year ago.

This might add further weight to the "email Seattle" approach... but assuming I do do the TWP route... can that TWP be issued for longer than the passport's validity?
The TWP cannot be issued longer than the passport. This information can be found: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...w/fw01-eng.pdf
on page 77 under "Duration of employment as per LMO". Although it talks about LMO, I'm sure this can be considered interchangeable with PNP letter for the purposes of TWP expiry coinciding with passport expiry.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 5:01 pm
Britnadian

Was afraid of that.

ok plan is:
1. Contact Seattle - hope they reply and reply favorably - if they just as for the passport, then I'll send it in straight away.
2. If no reply or a non-favorable reply - renew passport in 2 weeks - there is a four week processing time for that
3. When new passport is returned, request new TWP letter from PNP (should have a couple of weeks left at that point) - can I do this ahead of time?
4. Drive to border, get new TWP
5. Seattle can take as long as they want
Old Apr 19th 2011, 6:48 pm
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

Was afraid of that.

ok plan is:
1. Contact Seattle - hope they reply and reply favorably - if they just as for the passport, then I'll send it in straight away.
2. If no reply or a non-favorable reply - renew passport in 2 weeks - there is a four week processing time for that
3. When new passport is returned, request new TWP letter from PNP (should have a couple of weeks left at that point) - can I do this ahead of time?
4. Drive to border, get new TWP
5. Seattle can take as long as they want
This seems sensible. As for the BC PNP letter, I guess it can't hurt to ask them I assume you don't have to pay for the letter?
Old Apr 20th 2011, 3:58 am
Britnadian

Why was I worried... it turns out that my PPR was waiting for me all along in my email!!!! It arrived 6 days ago but I didnt see it... it wasn't until I checked my PNP label in GMail that I saw it...

No phone calls made or grovelling done!

(to directly answer: they didnt charge for the letter itself)
Old Apr 20th 2011, 1:09 pm
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

Haha! Well that is excellent news
Old May 3rd 2011, 7:20 am
Just Joined

Sonata is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi hpka,

Congratulations on your new PR.

I am facing a difficult situation now and would like to hear what your opinion is if you don't mind. I am thinking of applying for BC PNP very soon. I would like to know how long did it take you to go through the whole process?

The reason I am asking is because my post-graduate work permit is expired in June 2012, and from what I have seen people saying that I can renew my work permit without having LMO. Am I correct here? and if yes, how long would it take to process the federal application which I assume my documents will be sent to Buffalo since I am currently in Canada?

The other option that I have is to apply through CEC; I am not sure if you are familiar with this one or not. If I want to apply through CEC, I would have to wait until September 2011 in order to qualify. However, the problem is next year when I am extending my work-permit in June, I will need to have LMO which is not easy to get.

Based on this, I am considering applying for BC PNP so that when I renew my work-permit I don't need to prepare the LMO with my employer.

Please advise. I greatly appreciate your help and time.
Old May 3rd 2011, 9:34 am
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sonata
Hi hpka,

Congratulations on your new PR.

I am facing a difficult situation now and would like to hear what your opinion is if you don't mind. I am thinking of applying for BC PNP very soon. I would like to know how long did it take you to go through the whole process?

The reason I am asking is because my post-graduate work permit is expired in June 2012, and from what I have seen people saying that I can renew my work permit without having LMO. Am I correct here? and if yes, how long would it take to process the federal application which I assume my documents will be sent to Buffalo since I am currently in Canada?

The other option that I have is to apply through CEC; I am not sure if you are familiar with this one or not. If I want to apply through CEC, I would have to wait until September 2011 in order to qualify. However, the problem is next year when I am extending my work-permit in June, I will need to have LMO which is not easy to get.

Based on this, I am considering applying for BC PNP so that when I renew my work-permit I don't need to prepare the LMO with my employer.

Please advise. I greatly appreciate your help and time.
Can't help with much of this but I can tell you that both Buffalo and London VO are being the slowest in the world right now for FSW processing. Everyone elsewhere is going through at a rate of knots except for those two offices. (Example - Manila 33weeks and 5 days for someone from app submitted to receiving Visa in passport.)
Old May 3rd 2011, 7:16 pm
Just Joined

Sonata is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the reply. I was wondering how long did the whole process take?

Thanks
Old May 3rd 2011, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

Vbomb is just really niceVbomb is just really niceVbomb is just really niceVbomb is just really niceVbomb is just really niceVbomb is just really niceVbomb is just really niceVbomb is just really nice

In my case 14,5 months from application delivered to PNP office to landed at the border as a PR

The PNP process took 8 weeks in 2010 but now they've raised their processing time to 20 weeks
Old May 3rd 2011, 7:50 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sonata
Thanks for the reply. I was wondering how long did the whole process take?

Thanks
As I said, one or two Manila applicants have received Visa in just over 33 weeks through FSW Cat 1.
No-one from London or Buffalo has received their decision yet who applied since the June 26th rule changes that I know of.
We applied on 7th September 2010 and we have not had Med Requests yet.
We are FSW Cat 2, which is supposed to be a priority and is advertised as 6 months processing at the VO but that is only 2 months left for them to get us through since they gave us CIO clearance on 24th January and so I can't see that being possible.
We were advised by Canadian authorities that PNP in B.C was taking roughly the same time a FSW Cat 2 when we applied and Vbomb seems to confirm that PNP processing times have gone up.
Old Dec 16th 2011, 1:47 pm
Just Joined

ajhc is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
Definately contact BC PNP and ask for a new letter but also contact Seattle and let them know it expires in 2 months - I assume you have done your medicals and paid your RPRF and are only waiting for passport requests now?

I had to do the same thing with Buffalo as they e-mailed me to say they would issue our ppr in June - which would have been one month AFTER our TWP would have expired - I responded (CC'ing the Program Manager for Buffalo in) and explained that I needed it before that date. They then issued PPR that day.

If you need the Seatle Program Manager's e-mail details - let me know.

Good luck.
Hi - I'm waiting for our ppr and WP expires end of December. Do you have the contact details for the best person/people to contact in Buffalo to ask when my ppr might arrive?

Thanks,
Alastair