Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

BC PNP based on job offer, interim LMO & TWP

BC PNP based on job offer, interim LMO & TWP

Old Jul 21st 2013, 11:09 pm
Citizen Of The World

benlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud of
Question BC PNP based on job offer, interim LMO & TWP

Hi all

A quick summary: I have a job offer from a company in Vancouver who are beginning the process of applying for an LMO. The position is skill type 2, skill level 1 (software engineer) on the NOC. I understand the process of getting a TWP at POE when that's granted.

What I'm a little unclear on is whether I can use the job offer to begin the process of applying for PR via the BC PNP (or possibly FSW) while waiting for the LMO? At my age I need the points for a job offer to make an FSW application; now that I have that, can I make an application?

Thanks in advance for any help!
b
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 6:35 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BC PNP based on job offer, interim LMO & TWP

No, you need a job offer approved by HRSDC to qualify for FSW, not just a job offer - so you must have the LMO & TWP before you can apply.

You could however apply under the PNP - no LMO required for that. Plus your employer wouldn't even need to get the LMO for you to start work, as you'd get a TWP at nomination stage anyway. So if you wanted you could skip the LMO altogether.

HTH.
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 7:07 am
Citizen Of The World

benlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
No, you need a job offer approved by HRSDC to qualify for FSW, not just a job offer - so you must have the LMO & TWP before you can apply.
Ok, that makes sense.

You could however apply under the PNP - no LMO required for that. Plus your employer wouldn't even need to get the LMO for you to start work, as you'd get a TWP at nomination stage anyway. So if you wanted you could skip the LMO altogether.
Hm, interesting: I hadn't appreciated that a TWP is issued during that process. Obviously the employer wants things to happen as fast as possible: any comment on whether this is a faster route than LMO/TWP?

Thanks!
b

Last edited by benlast; Jul 22nd 2013 at 7:22 am. Reason: Clarify my response.
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 7:43 am
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by benlast
Ok, that makes sense.

Hm, interesting: I hadn't appreciated that a TWP is issued during that process. Obviously the employer wants things to happen as fast as possible: any comment on whether this is a faster route than LMO/TWP?

Thanks!
b
Thats a bit like asking how long is a piece of string, average for BC PNP 3 months. LMO in some cases has taken some people 6 - 12 weeks. I am waiting for an LMO and I am into my 16th week. So in theory if you look at a maxium time for LMO PNP maybe quicker, but if you get LMO quicker then you could have it before PNP.
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 7:48 am
Citizen Of The World

Originally Posted by Mikeypm
Thats a bit like asking how long is a piece of string
Fair comment

I guess the obvious question is... can one do both? PR's my goal anyway.

Thanks
b
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 7:57 am

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

Fair comment

I guess the obvious question is... can one do both? PR's my goal anyway.

Thanks
b
One is dealt with by the PNP office and one is dealt with by Service Canada office. Someone may correct me but I can see no reason why both can not be done. However, bear in mind both processes are employer driven and does your employer want to go through paperwork and queries for both applications?
Old Sep 20th 2013, 11:06 pm
Citizen Of The World

An update, so that info's here for anyone who searches in the future.

The employer had no problem at all doing the work for the BC PNP and the LMO, so both of those were started together. It's not really a huge amount of work for them - they provide some docs and fill in a form.

This is all for a senior software developer job (anyone else in that profession, note that engineer is a protected term in Canada, and software engineer may be a slightly contentious term if you're not accredited with the appropriate professional body, so I went with developer).

LMO application completed & submitted by employer: 15/8/13
Services Canada talked application through with HR: 11/9/13
Positive LMO granted: 20/9/13
That's a little over 5 weeks.

I land in Vancouver at the 30/9/13 and will be carrying my LMO and job offer in hand, and asking for a TWP at port of entry...

Cheers
b
Old Sep 21st 2013, 8:15 am

An update, so that info's here for anyone who searches in the future.

The employer had no problem at all doing the work for the BC PNP and the LMO, so both of those were started together. It's not really a huge amount of work for them - they provide some docs and fill in a form.

This is all for a senior software developer job (anyone else in that profession, note that engineer is a protected term in Canada, and software engineer may be a slightly contentious term if you're not accredited with the appropriate professional body, so I went with developer).

LMO application completed & submitted by employer: 15/8/13
Services Canada talked application through with HR: 11/9/13
Positive LMO granted: 20/9/13
That's a little over 5 weeks.

I land in Vancouver at the 30/9/13 and will be carrying my LMO and job offer in hand, and asking for a TWP at port of entry...

Cheers
b
Congrats Ben, me and my other half are hoping to land in Vancouver around the 5th October. Give e a shout if you fancy grabbing a pint?
Old Sep 24th 2013, 5:32 pm
Forum Regular

Amtobi is an unknown quantity at this point

This thread has given me hope! LMO was applied for on the 23/08/2013 in BC as well but a different occupation. I'm hoping we hear soon. I have heard stories of people waiting up to 14 weeks.

Hoping to arrive in December
Old Sep 24th 2013, 5:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amtobi
I have heard stories of people waiting up to 14 weeks.
14 weeks isn't long at all. Look at Mikeypm's timeline above.
Old Sep 24th 2013, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

14 weeks isn't long at all. Look at Mikeypm's timeline above.
I know... We just don't have that much time, 14 weeks we can still work with, anymore than that is just too stressful to even think about! Just glad to have 1 story with good news.

We have to apply for a work permit (we are from SA) after the LMO is issued before we can go! as we can only apply for PNP 3 months after we arrive. We are currently in Dubai and our visas will be cancelled by the 5th Jan, we HAVE to go before then.

I don't mind how long it takes I would just like a clearer idea of how long, it seems very variable.
Old Sep 27th 2013, 6:41 pm

I know... We just don't have that much time, 14 weeks we can still work with, anymore than that is just too stressful to even think about! Just glad to have 1 story with good news.

We have to apply for a work permit (we are from SA) after the LMO is issued before we can go! as we can only apply for PNP 3 months after we arrive. We are currently in Dubai and our visas will be cancelled by the 5th Jan, we HAVE to go before then.

I don't mind how long it takes I would just like a clearer idea of how long, it seems very variable.
I don't think HRSDC have an idea on timescales and they do the processing , so its just a case of waiting with fingers firmly crossed. I hope you do not have to wait as long as I did
Old Sep 28th 2013, 12:39 am
Citizen Of The World

Originally Posted by Mikeypm
Congrats Ben, me and my other half are hoping to land in Vancouver around the 5th October. Give e a shout if you fancy grabbing a pint?
Will do - sorry, didn't see your reply before

In other news, my BC PNP has now been acknowledged also, which is excellent given that I get on a plane tomorrow evening! In the acknowledging email they say "Our current processing time is approximately 8 - 12 weeks from the date your application was received".

So - the delay between them physically receiving the PNP and acknowledging it was about 5-6 weeks.

Cheers
b
Old Sep 28th 2013, 4:36 am
Forum Regular

In other news, my BC PNP has now been acknowledged also, which is excellent given that I get on a plane tomorrow evening! In the acknowledging email they say "Our current processing time is approximately 8 - 12 weeks from the date your application was received".

So - the delay between them physically receiving the PNP and acknowledging it was about 5-6 weeks.

Cheers
b
Those time frames sound reasonable. Would that be 8-12 weeks until you get PR or until it goes through to cic for processing?

I have to complete a 3 month probation before my employer will let me apply for BC PNP, so will only be able to apply in about 6 months from now. I have finally got everything except my LMO for a FSW application. I'm trying to figure out whether to just wait for BC PNP or to just go ahead with a FSW application now. I've heard FSW is quicker than previously, but is longer than BC PNP, but with a 6 month head start I'm wondering if it's a better option. My other concern is that if it's still processing at Abu Dhabi and we leave it may take longer if it has to be transferred when we leave (enshallah ) in December.

We've been working on this move since Feb 2012... A process I can only describe as a big lesson in patience! Just glad to have some tangible progress
Old Sep 28th 2013, 5:31 am
Citizen Of The World

Those time frames sound reasonable. Would that be 8-12 weeks until you get PR or until it goes through to cic for processing?
I'm assuming time until CIC, but any progress is ok with me, since I have an LMO also.

Cheers
b

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.