Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

basics for getting through airport?

basics for getting through airport?

Old Jun 3rd 2008, 4:47 am
Just Joined

mcevoyn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default basics for getting through airport?

Hi folks

I'm initially landing with a return ticket, just going on a 4 month holiday. What are the basic requirements to get through the airport?

I remember when I went to the states years ago for a few months I had to prove I had the funds to cover my trip etc. Do I have to do the same type of thing for Canada, or is it a straight forward walk through?

Many thanks, Neil.
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 5:21 am
Happy here..

Eve N has much to be proud ofEve N has much to be proud ofEve N has much to be proud ofEve N has much to be proud ofEve N has much to be proud ofEve N has much to be proud ofEve N has much to be proud ofEve N has much to be proud ofEve N has much to be proud ofEve N has much to be proud ofEve N has much to be proud of
Default Re: basics for getting through airport?

Originally Posted by mcevoyn
Hi folks

I'm initially landing with a return ticket, just going on a 4 month holiday. What are the basic requirements to get through the airport?

I remember when I went to the states years ago for a few months I had to prove I had the funds to cover my trip etc. Do I have to do the same type of thing for Canada, or is it a straight forward walk through?

Many thanks, Neil.
Hi Neil,
Are you landing or going on holiday?Have you got a PR visa? Go onto the WIKI
look under landing you will find everything you need.Not quite sure what to advise you as it is unclear as to what you are actually doing
Have a good trip!
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 5:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by mcevoyn
Hi folks

Many thanks, Neil.
Hi..it depends on many things.

i have been questioned beyond belief on one of my trips to canada....initialy my first one....

then after that it was just the basic questions..what is your purpose for your trip...do you have return ticket..where will you be staying etc etc...

i noticed on other threads of yours..you have said you are moving to NS with your family.in a couple of days time..? ......so like above poster says..it is a bit unclear..on what you are doing.?

all the best.

PS just noticed your another of your threads further down. can now see that your wife and children are canadian, do you know the ins and outs..of spouse visa..? it is quite quick. maybe eaiser than trying to snag a job etc..? just a thought. only thing is tho you cannot work till you get your PR or your AIP...hmmm good luck.

Last edited by Maple Leaf; Jun 3rd 2008 at 5:35 am.
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 5:36 am
Just Joined

Matt190280 is an unknown quantity at this point

Neil,

If you have a British passport you are entitled to enter Canada for upto 6 months as a visitor. Regardless of the return date on your airline ticket, they will stamp your passport with an entry stamp that is valid for the full 6 months. A word of warning though... You will find it very difficult to get PR status further down the line should you overstay this 6 month period - so be careful!

The good news is the Canadian border officials are a lot more down to earth than their American counterparts. If you are simply visiting and have the means to support your stay you should be through immigration in no time. There will be no finger print scanning, digital photographs or armed customs agents....
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 6:07 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Matt190280
Neil,

If you have a British passport you are entitled to enter Canada for upto 6 months as a visitor. Regardless of the return date on your airline ticket, they will stamp your passport with an entry stamp that is valid for the full 6 months. A word of warning though... You will find it very difficult to get PR status further down the line should you overstay this 6 month period - so be careful!

The good news is the Canadian border officials are a lot more down to earth than their American counterparts. If you are simply visiting and have the means to support your stay you should be through immigration in no time. There will be no finger print scanning, digital photographs or armed customs agents....
Hi guys

Thanks for the responses, and sorry don't mean to be cryptic. Basically the first step I'm doing is headed over with a return ticket on the basis of going on holiday.

Matt, you say:

"If you are simply visiting and have the means to support your stay you should be through immigration in no time. "

Do I have to supply any evidence of these means? Any other basics like this I have to provide at this point?

Many thanks, Neil.
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 6:24 am
Just Joined

Matt190280 is an unknown quantity at this point

I would hate to say no and you get grilled. I will say that in I have visited Ontario maybe 10 times in the last 4 years before getting a PR visa and I was never asked to produce a bank statement. Of course that doesn't mean they won't. You are planning on staying a long time for a holiday and that is bound to draw more questions than someone staying 7 nights with a flight home the following week.

So why not book a shorter trip? Alternatively, you could book a return date two weeks after you arrive and if you choose to stay longer and extend the date on your ticket after you arrive, then you are entitled to stay up to six months.

If you can simply print out a statement and have it on you then you have nothing to worry about. You might have a credit card you can live off. They aren't trying to make it difficult to get in, they want to encourage tourism. All they want is to know you arn't going to try to work there and your being there isn't likely to cost them.
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 6:29 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Matt190280
I would hate to say no and you get grilled. I will say that in I have visited Ontario maybe 10 times in the last 4 years before getting a PR visa and I was never asked to produce a bank statement. Of course that doesn't mean they won't. You are planning on staying a long time for a holiday and that is bound to draw more questions than someone staying 7 nights with a flight home the following week.

So why not book a shorter trip? Alternatively, you could book a return date two weeks after you arrive and if you choose to stay longer and extend the date on your ticket after you arrive, then you are entitled to stay up to six months.

If you can simply print out a statement and have it on you then you have nothing to worry about. You might have a credit card you can live off. They aren't trying to make it difficult to get in, they want to encourage tourism. All they want is to know you arn't going to try to work there and your being there isn't likely to cost them.
That's great, many thanks Matt.
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

san38 has a spectacular aura aboutsan38 has a spectacular aura aboutsan38 has a spectacular aura about

I went over for 10 days last year and was asked alot of personal questions, do you know what the IO did, he just took my passport and gave me an angry look not even a smile and he was suppose to stamp 6 months in my british passport but instead he appeared so infuriated and did not stamp anything.

I complained when i got back to heathrow london, because i was certainly not a criminal but was made to feel that way.
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 11:23 pm
Happy here..

Eve N has much to be proud ofEve N has much to be proud ofEve N has much to be proud ofEve N has much to be proud ofEve N has much to be proud ofEve N has much to be proud ofEve N has much to be proud ofEve N has much to be proud ofEve N has much to be proud ofEve N has much to be proud ofEve N has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Maple Leaf
Hi..it depends on many things.

i have been questioned beyond belief on one of my trips to canada....initialy my first one....

then after that it was just the basic questions..what is your purpose for your trip...do you have return ticket..where will you be staying etc etc...

i noticed on other threads of yours..you have said you are moving to NS with your family.in a couple of days time..? ......so like above poster says..it is a bit unclear..on what you are doing.?

all the best.

PS just noticed your another of your threads further down. can now see that your wife and children are canadian, do you know the ins and outs..of spouse visa..? it is quite quick. maybe eaiser than trying to snag a job etc..? just a thought. only thing is tho you cannot work till you get your PR or your AIP...hmmm good luck.
Hey Maple Leaf, Just wondering our pictures are similar.did you download it?
I took mine on my phone! while whale watching last year in NS.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 1:04 pm
Forum Regular

Selsame is on a distinguished road

Canadian Immigration just like UK Immigration can land a visitor for six months. However to use the example of UK Immigration. If the IO is not satisfied that you will not return after six months. Or that you can support yourself for the amount of time you claim to be going on holiday they are perfectly entitled to refuse you entry. If you plan on being in Canada for longer than a bog standard holiday, say two or three weeks, then you will need to be able to satisfy the IO that you can do this. If you don't have a job for example this may not be looked upon favourably. There aren't many jobs that allow people to take four months annual leave. Be honest explain your situation and it should be ok. Start telling porkies and you will likely be on the next plane back.