Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

BASIC GENERAL ADVICE ON CANADIAN PR

BASIC GENERAL ADVICE ON CANADIAN PR

Old Jul 24th 2017, 7:34 am
Just Joined

tylizle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: BASIC GENERAL ADVICE ON CANADIAN PR

Originally Posted by Siouxie
There is no such thing as a silly question

You could apply for an IEC working holiday visa next year, work for 12-18 months in a skilled position in Canada and then apply for Canadian Experience Class (CEC) - this is an application for permanent residency (so the whole PR thing )

You have one year to 'activate' an IEC once you receive approval, then when activated (at the port of entry in Canada), you would receive a 2 year work permit - there are no 'points' required for the IEC working holiday visa, so you could be working in the UK for up to a year before coming to Canada if you chose to.

You can see how it works here: Application process at a glance – International Experience Canada

and Canadian Experience Class: Who can apply: Canadian Experience Class

Thank you SO much! You've explained that so well it makes perfect sense. So in theory, when I graduate in June 2018, I can apply a few months later for the working holiday visa and if I get it, I have up to a year to actually go and do it, so I can work full time in England for at least a year. Then I'll have 24 months in Canada working full time (making sure it's a job that matches my NOC code) then before the end of the 2 years, apply for CEC because I will then have met the criteria for that AND that's also for PR. What do you reckon the chances are for even getting a working holiday visa? I've read online even they are so hard to get! I don't wanna get myself
Down before I've even started but I'm so unlucky hahaha!!! Are you currently living in Canada?
Old Jul 24th 2017, 7:56 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad
yea not a silly question just a bad explanation by me which Siouxie has explained much more clearly
Oh no you've been so
Helpful too!!! What's your story?
Old Jul 24th 2017, 8:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tylizle
Oh no you've been so
Helpful too!!! What's your story?
says it all pretty much in my signature. Came over her in Jan 2016 on an intra-company transfer (the company I worked for in the UK has its HQ here in Canada). This gets you a 3 year work permit (tied to your employer thought so you cant change jobs). After a year, we qualified for CEC (which meant no proof of funds), applied via express entry and was given out ITA in early Feb. Application submitted in early March and we are now just waiting on the COPR paperwork to activate our PR. Been a hectic year and half but don't miss the UK.
Old Jul 24th 2017, 11:56 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad
yea not a silly question just a bad explanation by me which Siouxie has explained much more clearly
Not at all! Your input has been invaluable, don't for a second think it isn't!

Thank you SO much! You've explained that so well it makes perfect sense. So in theory, when I graduate in June 2018, I can apply a few months later for the working holiday visa and if I get it, I have up to a year to actually go and do it, so I can work full time in England for at least a year. Then I'll have 24 months in Canada working full time (making sure it's a job that matches my NOC code) then before the end of the 2 years, apply for CEC because I will then have met the criteria for that AND that's also for PR. What do you reckon the chances are for even getting a working holiday visa? I've read online even they are so hard to get! I don't wanna get myself
Down before I've even started but I'm so unlucky hahaha!!! Are you currently living in Canada?
You've pretty much got is sussed there! It doesn't necessarily have to match your NOC code, I believe (but others can confirm or correct me if I am wrong), just that it must be a skilled position.

As to what are your chances? Well, if you apply for the pool early on in the year you stand a better chance of getting one - but at least you are young enough that if it takes a 2nd attempt to get one, you are good to go!

Yes, I live in Canada - here as a PR through spousal sponsorship and I've been here for about 16 years. Love Canada!

Last edited by Siouxie; Jul 24th 2017 at 12:01 pm.
Old Jul 24th 2017, 3:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

What do you reckon the chances are for even getting a working holiday visa? I've read online even they are so hard to get! I don't wanna get myself
Down before I've even started but I'm so unlucky hahaha!!!
You don't need to be that lucky to get one - particularly early on. There are about 5,000 places available annually. Right now there are about 7 left, and some 6,000 people hoping to get them (so around 5,000 have been successful - about half. But many of the 6k waiting at the end haven't been in earlier in the year - chances are much better around December-Feb, with more available, and fewer people to be drawn between). More pertinently, it's taken 9,000 draws to get to this spot - so that's almost twice as many draws taken place as people got permits. Although *some* of these will be people being refused (eg because they're criminally ineligible to enter Canada), mostly it will be people either refusing their draw (eg they wanted to go with friends, only one was drawn, they were waiting to hope to be drawn together), or just not answering (didn't see it in time, changed mind about wanting to go, etc). Really, the bigger problem is the inconvenience and unpredictability. It used to be first-come-first-served, and although registration was only available for about an hour in December (for the entire year), everyone at that point knew, they either had an invitation, or were position x on the waitlist. So swings & roundabouts.
Old Jul 25th 2017, 6:12 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid
You don't need to be that lucky to get one - particularly early on. There are about 5,000 places available annually. Right now there are about 7 left, and some 6,000 people hoping to get them (so around 5,000 have been successful - about half. But many of the 6k waiting at the end haven't been in earlier in the year - chances are much better around December-Feb, with more available, and fewer people to be drawn between). More pertinently, it's taken 9,000 draws to get to this spot - so that's almost twice as many draws taken place as people got permits. Although *some* of these will be people being refused (eg because they're criminally ineligible to enter Canada), mostly it will be people either refusing their draw (eg they wanted to go with friends, only one was drawn, they were waiting to hope to be drawn together), or just not answering (didn't see it in time, changed mind about wanting to go, etc). Really, the bigger problem is the inconvenience and unpredictability. It used to be first-come-first-served, and although registration was only available for about an hour in December (for the entire year), everyone at that point knew, they either had an invitation, or were position x on the waitlist. So swings & roundabouts.
Oh wow I see!!! So does the pool normally open in December or does it change each year?
Old Jul 25th 2017, 6:13 am
Just Joined

Not at all! Your input has been invaluable, don't for a second think it isn't!

You've pretty much got is sussed there! It doesn't necessarily have to match your NOC code, I believe (but others can confirm or correct me if I am wrong), just that it must be a skilled position.

As to what are your chances? Well, if you apply for the pool early on in the year you stand a better chance of getting one - but at least you are young enough that if it takes a 2nd attempt to get one, you are good to go!

Yes, I live in Canada - here as a PR through spousal sponsorship and I've been here for about 16 years. Love Canada!

Wow 16 years that such a long time!!! So glad it worked out for you. Do you miss anything about the uk or are you basically just a full brown Canadian now? Haha!
Old Jul 25th 2017, 6:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

Oh wow I see!!! So does the pool normally open in December or does it change each year?
Depends on the year. Normally information about the coming year appears in the Autumn at some point.

2014 programme opened in Dec 2013 with 2 day's notice, 2015 programme opened in March 2015, with a long-standing notice that information would be 'coming soon' and then about 24-48 hours announcement before the opening (these were both first-come-first-served), 2016 programme was the first to use random draw, as I recall the pools opened without notice at some point in November '15 with the first draw in December, and similar for 2017. 2018 may be the same again, it may change completely, it may cease to exist (unlikely, but possible - the old Conservative government were very unhappy at the imbalance between Canadians going overseas on it, which was falling, vs the massive oversubscription for most countries coming to Canada). Won't know until the annual announcements come.

Last edited by Vulcanoid; Jul 25th 2017 at 6:20 am. Reason: correct month
Old Jul 25th 2017, 7:31 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid
Depends on the year. Normally information about the coming year appears in the Autumn at some point.

2014 programme opened in Dec 2013 with 2 day's notice, 2015 programme opened in March 2015, with a long-standing notice that information would be 'coming soon' and then about 24-48 hours announcement before the opening (these were both first-come-first-served), 2016 programme was the first to use random draw, as I recall the pools opened without notice at some point in November '15 with the first draw in December, and similar for 2017. 2018 may be the same again, it may change completely, it may cease to exist (unlikely, but possible - the old Conservative government were very unhappy at the imbalance between Canadians going overseas on it, which was falling, vs the massive oversubscription for most countries coming to Canada). Won't know until the annual announcements come.
So am I right in thinking you could enter the pool, be in it until it closed and NEVER be selected? Even if you applied 5 minutes after it opened? Then if you don't get picked you can never apply again?
Old Jul 25th 2017, 7:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

So am I right in thinking you could enter the pool, be in it until it closed and NEVER be selected? Even if you applied 5 minutes after it opened? Then if you don't get picked you can never apply again?
yes apart from if you are not picked you can try again the year after, assuming it still exists and you still meet the criteria.
Old Jul 25th 2017, 8:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Specifically, you are deemed to have 'participated' and are therefore not eligible again once a port of entry letter of introduction is issued in your name, saying your application has been approved.

But yes, some people have entered in both of the random draw years so far & never been drawn
Old Jul 27th 2017, 12:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Wow 16 years that such a long time!!! So glad it worked out for you. Do you miss anything about the uk or are you basically just a full brown Canadian now? Haha!

not too sure what you really meant by "full brown Canadian" ...... but Canadians can be a tad touchy, and lots of Brit immigrants will tell you that Canadians do not have the same sense of humour as Brits.

So it might be better to be a little more careful.

I've been in Canada for 49 years (next month) and a Canadian citizen for 43.5 years ............. and can honestly say that I have never missed England one little bit, nor has my OH.

Never been sorry we left the UK, never been sorry that we came here.
Old Jul 27th 2017, 3:39 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
not too sure what you really meant by "full brown Canadian" ...... but Canadians can be a tad touchy, and lots of Brit immigrants will tell you that Canadians do not have the same sense of humour as Brits.

I've been in Canada for 49 years (next month) and a Canadian citizen for 43.5 years ............. and can honestly say that I have never missed England one little bit, nor has my OH.

Umm I'm pretty sure that was an auto-correct.thing actually - . I believe the OP meant to type "full blown Canadian"!

Anyway, moving swiftly on...

Yes, Canada is my home and although I do miss a few aspects of the UK - such as country pubs and castles and suchlike - I don't regret coming here at all. I must admit I felt 'at home' here from the first day of my first visit nearly 18 years ago.

Old Jul 28th 2017, 2:35 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by scilly

Hahaha yes full BLOWN Canadian was what I meant to type. Silly auto correct. That's such a long time wow crazy!!!
Old Jul 28th 2017, 2:37 am
Just Joined

Umm I'm pretty sure that was an auto-correct.thing actually - . I believe the OP meant to type "full blown Canadian"!

Anyway, moving swiftly on...

Yes, Canada is my home and although I do miss a few aspects of the UK - such as country pubs and castles and suchlike - I don't regret coming here at all. I must admit I felt 'at home' here from the first day of my first visit nearly 18 years ago.

Haha yes you got it!!! Hate iPhones with their silly auto correct! I think that's the thing about England. It has a lot of history. The type of person I am, I just crave to be like surrounded by people and skyscrapers and all that jazz. Canada just looks so awesome. You do you visit the uk much?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.