Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

BASIC GENERAL ADVICE ON CANADIAN PR

BASIC GENERAL ADVICE ON CANADIAN PR

Old Jul 23rd 2017, 5:29 am
Just Joined

tylizle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default BASIC GENERAL ADVICE ON CANADIAN PR

Hi (I'm really going to try and not make this long winded - sorry if I fail)

I'm currently going into my final year at university, when I graduate in July 2018, I'll be 24 so I'm trying to form my 5 year plan

I'm about to be made a supervisor at my part time job in retail, a job I've had since November 2015. From doing research, I found that NOC 6211 fits this job description. After graduating, my plan is to transfer with my company back to my home town and work full time for 18 months - as I read you need at LEAST one years full time work experience in the nominated profession.

I just need advice as to what the best route for me would be, and if it even seems attainable. I also have a few Q's

- would working in Canada for a year earn me more points?
- If so can you apply for PR whilst being there doing that?
- how does the pool selection work?
- how many points in total do you actually need?
- If you have enough points are you guaranteed residency?
- Can you undergo the language tests in the UK?

Last edited by tylizle; Jul 23rd 2017 at 5:32 am.
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 5:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BASIC GENERAL ADVICE ON CANADIAN PR

Originally Posted by tylizle

- would working in Canada for a year earn me more points?
Skilled work in Canada will mean additional points for Federal Skilled Worker stream, and potential to use Canadian Experience Class stream. Work in a specific Province may mean eligibility for the local Provincial Nomination stream, depending on many more factors (like what, where, for how long, etc).

- If so can you apply for PR whilst being there doing that?
The restrictions for how to apply will depend on which stream you are looking to migrate through. As a general rule, you will be able to apply from anywhere in the world if you meet the criteria of the stream you are looking at.
- how does the pool selection work?
For the Federal Skilled Worker pools, you must get over 67 points in the FSW list (Selection factors: federal skilled workers) to enter the pools, and then exceed the CRS points (Entry criteria and the Comprehensive Ranking System) threshold for a draw.
- how many points in total do you actually need?
Last draw, 440.
- If you have enough points are you guaranteed residency?
You are invited to apply. If you then proceed through the application, you will be assessed for residency (eg testing things like the accuracy of your application, whether you are inadmissible for past criminality, etc)
- Can you undergo the language tests in the UK?
Yes.

As you are under 30, the easiest way to work in Canada for a while, see if you like it, and try to get skilled work experience in Canada would be with an IEC permit (2 years open work permit, assigned by random draw to the people applying - International Experience Canada – travel and work in Canada).
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 6:23 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid
Skilled work in Canada will mean additional points for Federal Skilled Worker stream, and potential to use Canadian Experience Class stream. Work in a specific Province may mean eligibility for the local Provincial Nomination stream, depending on many more factors (like what, where, for how long, etc).

The restrictions for how to apply will depend on which stream you are looking to migrate through. As a general rule, you will be able to apply from anywhere in the world if you meet the criteria of the stream you are looking at.

For the Federal Skilled Worker pools, you must get over 67 points in the FSW list (Selection factors: federal skilled workers) to enter the pools, and then exceed the CRS points (Entry criteria and the Comprehensive Ranking System) threshold for a draw.
Last draw, 440.
You are invited to apply. If you then proceed through the application, you will be assessed for residency (eg testing things like the accuracy of your application, whether you are inadmissible for past criminality, etc)

Yes.

As you are under 30, the easiest way to work in Canada for a while, see if you like it, and try to get skilled work experience in Canada would be with an IEC permit (2 years open work permit, assigned by random draw to the people applying - International Experience Canada – travel and work in Canada).
Thanks so much for replying! The points system confuses me - I've done loads of the point calculation things mostly based on guesstimation. Say I'm still under 30 got my degree, 2 years full time work (I've been working since I turned 18 buts it's never been full time because I've always been studying - does that not count?) I imagine I'd get the highest english mark, BASIC BASIC French, how many points would we be talking and is it enough?
and I'm applying under the skilled worker visa
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 6:32 am
Just Joined

so if I was applying as skilled worker
And I had a degree, at least one year full time work in my nominated skill NOC 6211, high English as it's my first language, settlement funds would that be enough points? I don't have ties in Canada and haven't got Canadian work experience. The points systems confuse me, because it's says full time work or part time equivalent, does that mean I can count all the jobs I've had since being 18? (Sorry if this posted twice but I don't think my first reply sent, such a technophobe)
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 6:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

You need to assess your points on the FSW grid (need 67+ to get into the pools), and then CRS (needed 440+ at the last draw) to be drawn.

Based on Selection factors: federal skilled workers it's not clear you're getting above 67 points (24 for English, 21 for degree, 9 for experience, 12 for age = 66. Even if you do, you then need enough points to actually be drawn (which most people in the pool don't, and they've gotten over the 67 threshold).
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 6:45 am
BE Forum Addict

And then for CRS: Age 18-30 = 110, Bachelors = 120, language assume = 136, work experience = 25. Total = 391, which is a fair way short of the lowest draw to date. Not impossible, but not likely at this stage either. (Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) Criteria – Express Entry)
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 6:54 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid
You need to assess your points on the FSW grid (need 67+ to get into the pools), and then CRS (needed 440+ at the last draw) to be drawn.

Based on Selection factors: federal skilled workers it's not clear you're getting above 67 points (24 for English, 21 for degree, 9 for experience, 12 for age = 66. Even if you do, you then need enough points to actually be drawn (which most people in the pool don't, and they've gotten over the 67 threshold).
I am so depressed, I thought I'd pass the bench mark. So if I had more full time work experience and did a working holiday in Canada, would that up my points?
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 7:51 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I am so depressed, I thought I'd pass the bench mark. So if I had more full time work experience and did a working holiday in Canada, would that up my points?
Yes. If you look at the links given above it does give you the points info so you can see how to increase them.

Worth noting that basic French is about A level standard just to give you an idea.
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 9:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

given your age I would suggest doing an IEC. This gives you a 2 year work permit in Canada. This will also give you extra points and qualify you for CEC. You can apply for PR whilst in Canada and many do.
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 9:23 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad
given your age I would suggest doing an IEC. This gives you a 2 year work permit in Canada. This will also give you extra points and qualify you for CEC. You can apply for PR whilst in Canada and many do.
I've just checked eligibility for IEC and as I'm from the UK the only option is the working holiday. So you're suggesting doing that, then applying for the CEC upto to 24 months then trying for PR that way? Would doing all the above making a strong case for PR do you think? Thanks for replying!
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 10:54 am
BE Forum Addict

I've just checked eligibility for IEC and as I'm from the UK the only option is the working holiday. So you're suggesting doing that, then applying for the CEC upto to 24 months then trying for PR that way? Would doing all the above making a strong case for PR do you think? Thanks for replying!
IEC allows you an open work permit of up to two years (which was I suggested it in first reply). It means you can test out Canada, see if you like it, and you might qualify for a route to residency while you're there.

The draws are done at random, and there are still places left this year (if you wanted to go in the next 12 months), although there are about 6,000 people going for 7 places, so odds aren't good. Best thing to do is get in the pool when they open for any given year, assuming it all continues, and cross your fingers.
Old Jul 24th 2017, 3:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

CEC is one of the paths to PR (same as FSW or FT) it is for those with work experience in Canada. The advantage is that you don't need proof of funds to be eligible just evidence that you can support yourself i.e. a current job.

You can do a hypothetical calculation of your CRS points after say 1.5 years work experience in Canada (assuming you need 0.5 a year to get PR before your IEC open work permit ran out).

it isn't really about having a strong case but having a high enough CRS score to be selected from the pool (note that 67 FSW are not needed to qualify for CEC). Who can apply: Canadian Experience Class
Old Jul 24th 2017, 6:17 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad
CEC is one of the paths to PR (same as FSW or FT) it is for those with work experience in Canada. The advantage is that you don't need proof of funds to be eligible just evidence that you can support yourself i.e. a current job.

You can do a hypothetical calculation of your CRS points after say 1.5 years work experience in Canada (assuming you need 0.5 a year to get PR before your IEC open work permit ran out).

it isn't really about having a strong case but having a high enough CRS score to be selected from the pool (note that 67 FSW are not needed to qualify for CEC). Who can apply: Canadian Experience Class
Thanks so much for replying. This is all so knew to me to so sorry if I sound really silly!

So next year, if I work full time for a year or 2 (if I do 2 years that'll increase my score so I'd get to 68) id then apply to do a years working holiday, then after that apply for the CEC because I would have spent a year in Canada working? Then see about the whole PR thing?
Old Jul 24th 2017, 7:01 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks so much for replying. This is all so knew to me to so sorry if I sound really silly!

So next year, if I work full time for a year or 2 (if I do 2 years that'll increase my score so I'd get to 68) id then apply to do a years working holiday, then after that apply for the CEC because I would have spent a year in Canada working? Then see about the whole PR thing?
There is no such thing as a silly question

You could apply for an IEC working holiday visa next year, work for 12-18 months in a skilled position in Canada and then apply for Canadian Experience Class (CEC) - this is an application for permanent residency (so the whole PR thing )

You have one year to 'activate' an IEC once you receive approval, then when activated (at the port of entry in Canada), you would receive a 2 year work permit - there are no 'points' required for the IEC working holiday visa, so you could be working in the UK for up to a year before coming to Canada if you chose to.

You can see how it works here: Application process at a glance – International Experience Canada

and Canadian Experience Class: Who can apply: Canadian Experience Class

Last edited by Siouxie; Jul 24th 2017 at 7:05 am.
Old Jul 24th 2017, 7:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Siouxie
There is no such thing as a silly question

You could apply for an IEC working holiday visa next year, work for 12-18 months in a skilled position in Canada and then apply for Canadian Experience Class (CEC) - this is an application for permanent residency (so the whole PR thing )

You have one year to 'activate' an IEC once you receive approval, then when activated (at the port of entry in Canada), you would receive a 2 year work permit - there are no 'points' required for the IEC working holiday visa, so you could be working in the UK for up to a year before coming to Canada if you chose to.

You can see how it works here: Application process at a glance – International Experience Canada

and Canadian Experience Class: Who can apply: Canadian Experience Class

yea not a silly question just a bad explanation by me which Siouxie has explained much more clearly

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.