Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Base: Cost of Living Toronto to survive

Base: Cost of Living Toronto to survive

Old Aug 25th 2002, 5:36 pm
Observing

Default Base: Cost of Living Toronto to survive

I am planning to land next month (Sept), and after discussing with people and through
research, i have enlised the basic (not luxurious) cost for a family of four (2
small kids). I shall be grateful if people/expert view their comments. This will help
many people who are in process or plan to immigrate.

Rent 1,100 (two bedroom) Utilities 150 Groceiries 450 Car
500 (lease+Insurance+fuel) Others 150 Entertainment is
discretionary
--------
$2,350 take home add Tax 23% 550 approx.
--------
$2,900 / 22days / 8 hours = $16.50 per hours to survive.

========

Old Aug 26th 2002, 3:02 am
The Wizzard

Default Re: Cost of Living Toronto to survive

that seems pretty reasonable. if youa re living right in Toronto though you might
want to forget the car, you will save money on lease fuel insurance etc and driving a
car in downtown toronto is hell and probably slower than taking the subway or
streetcar as in most big cities. so that works at call it $16 an hour, but in a
family of 4 living in a city in the 21st century both should be working so split that
between 2 people, so you are saying each need to be in a job that pays at least
$8/hour to survive minimum. thats not an unreasonable situation, you could probably
earn that working in tim hortons or a supermarket which would be a barely surviving
kind of job.

"Observing" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected] o-
m
    > I am planning to land next month (Sept), and after discussing with people and
    > through research, i have enlised the basic (not luxurious) cost for a family of
    > four (2 small kids). I shall be grateful if people/expert view their comments.
    > This will help many people who are in process or plan to immigrate.
    > Rent 1,100 (two bedroom) Utilities 150 Groceiries 450 Car
    > 500 (lease+Insurance+fuel) Others 150 Entertainment is
    > discretionary
    > --------
    > $2,350 take home add Tax 23% 550 approx.
    > --------
    > $2,900 / 22days / 8 hours = $16.50 per hours to survive.
    > ========

Old Aug 26th 2002, 8:57 am
Bodza Bodza

> "Observing" <[email protected]> wrote:

> > Rent 1,100 (two bedroom)

You won't find this downtown, but in an outlying area you might.

> > Utilities 150

Probably utilities will be included.

> > Groceiries 450

Not unreasonable.

> > Car 500 (lease+Insurance+fuel)

This is a bit optimistic... You probably won't find a car lease that costs less than
about $350 once you've figured in taxes etc (the leases advertised at $299/month are
NOT $299 a month they are $299 PLUS tax PLUS FREIGHT ETC ETC) You might get e.g. a
basic cavalier for $350. Your insurance will be at least $300/month to start and
maybe more. The best you will get is about $250/month for insurance until you have a
Canadian license and a couple years Canadian driving experience. You will spend about
$100 or more on fuel also, so in reality you're more like $700/month.

> > Others 150

Phone bill etc probably not unreasonable.

> > Entertainment is discretionary
    > > --------
    > > $2,350 take home add Tax 23% 550 approx.
    > > --------

Bear in mind it's not only 23% tax either. You will be paying FEDERAL income tax AND
Provincial income tax AND CPP and EI...

Old Aug 26th 2002, 7:57 pm
Observing

Default Re: Base: Cost of Living Toronto to survive

Awaiting Follow up

> through research, i have enlised the basic (not luxurious) cost for a family of
    > four (2 small kids). I shall be grateful if people/expert view their comments.
    > discretionary
    > --------
    > --------
    > ========

Old Aug 27th 2002, 12:22 am
Peter Wu

[email protected] (Bodza Bodza) writes:

> Bear in mind it's not only 23% tax either. You will be paying FEDERAL income tax
    > AND Provincial income tax AND CPP and EI...

So the final result is ...

--
Peter Wu

Old Aug 28th 2002, 9:14 pm
Xavi

[email protected] (Observing) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]. com>...
    > discretionary
    > --------
    > --------
    > ========

Just a few thoughts ...

Are you not coming to Canada with any money that you can perhaps afford to buy a car
instead of paying leasing costs?

The groceries budget seems a bit small. What sort of food do you eat? You'll have to
shop carefully. Meat is not cheap as some other countries - U.S., Australia, for
instance. Go to markets near the end of the day, vendors will practically give away
stuff to get rid of it. Definitely shop on sale, and buy bulk. I would think $650 for
family of 4 is more realistic, especially if you want to eat lots of fruit and
vegetables. Take care to always take your lunch to work and don't buy coffees and
stuff like that. Maybe buy a breadmaker so you don't have to pay silly prices for a
bit of flour and lots of air.

Under "Others" - doesn't leave much room for emergencies or much at all. Ding the car
and have to pay $100 deductible and there goes most of your budget. Got kids - when
they meet friends and get invited to birthday parties, you have to buy a gift. Maybe
you'll meet friends and want to invite them over to your place for dinner. Prepared
for the Canadian winter? If not, you'll totally blow about 3 months "Other" budget on
hats, scarves, mitts, boots, heavy coats, window scraper for the car windows,
antifreeze, snow tires, etc. How about money for bus/train fares or do you expect to
get around everywhere - work, school/preschool, shopping with one car, all four of
you? "Other" would have to include aspirin/Tylenol/cold medicines, toilet paper,
tissues, shampoo, soap, detergent & household cleaners, lightbulbs, newspaper, costs
associated with school/preschool, etc., etc. If you can live under this budget, hats
off to you.

There are lots of start-up costs too - not sure how it works in an apartment, but I
believe most utility companies charge you a "connection fee" when you first get a
phone, cable, electricity, etc. And landlords want a damage deposit. Factor that in.
And there's Provincial Sales Tax and Goods and Services Tax on many things you buy,
so that "$150" isn't exactly $150 of goods.

I don't know ... seems to me, you better hope on getting a job that pays more than
$16.50, especially for a family of 4. Sorry to be negative but I think I'm being
realistic. When you first immigrate, there are all sorts of surprise expenses. Plus,
you just don't know a lot of things and maybe waste some money until you learn how
things are done, where to buy things, etc.

Old Aug 28th 2002, 11:53 pm
The Wizzard

> I don't know ... seems to me, you better hope on getting a job that pays more than
    > $16.50, especially for a family of 4. Sorry to be negative but I think I'm being
    > realistic. When you first immigrate, there are all sorts of surprise expenses.
    > Plus, you just don't know a lot of things and maybe waste some money until you
    > learn how things are done, where to buy things, etc.

i think also bear in mind that in a family of 4 to keep a modern Canadian living
standard you need more than one person working. So if you said you needed $16 an hour
then thats $8 an hour eaach between two people, so if both parents can find jobs of
say $15 an hour then you combine into $30 an hour etc. Just one working parent with
two kids will make it hard unles sthat one job is a really good breadwinner and
covers everything. For example for one person my wife lives in a town just outside
Toronto within commuting distance and she only makes $8.50 an hour working in a small
bookstore but that manages to *just* cover a 2 bedroom apartment, groceries, cable
and internet and phone and food etc for several pets. So once i get my visa and move
there then just the simple addition of me working in a low wage job like that would
double out income, if i can eventually land a decent job like i want then it should
triple etc our income. However thats just for one couple, so add in kids and you are
definatley gonna want two incomes i think.