Bail and get money back?

Old Jul 24th 2006, 1:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

kt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bail and get money back?

I've an Aug 04 AOR and have heard precisely nothing since then. Reading all these posts about people being rejected on spurious grounds it looks like the CHC in London are just making crap up to get rid of people. If this is the case I'm thinking of bailing now, before spending money on meds, before wasting any more time, and when I can get back my application fees.

What's the process for bailing and getting a refund?

K.
Old Jul 24th 2006, 1:33 pm
Ski Bum

SkiBum will become famous soon enoughSkiBum will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Bail and get money back?

I know exactly what you mean - it's unreal to have a process where it simply isn't possible to speak to people when such major decisions are being taken.

Having said that, the vast majority of legitimate applicants do eventually make it through the system, so you need to make sure any decision you take is not cutting off your nose to spite your face...

If you think withdrawing and telling them to f### off will in any way upset them or make them review their system, then I fear you will be wasting your time...
Old Jul 24th 2006, 1:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

I believe you just write and withdraw your application: they should refund any fees if they haven't processed your application yet.

Check the forum: someone did it not long ago and posted here.
Old Jul 24th 2006, 2:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

kt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SkiBum
If you think withdrawing and telling them to f### off will in any way upset them or make them review their system, then I fear you will be wasting your time...
Quite.

No, I'm considering bailing because the process is becoming more like an insurance claim than a immigration application - any slight issue is seized upon and given as grounds for rejection.

K.
Old Jul 24th 2006, 2:57 pm
Ski Bum

SkiBum will become famous soon enoughSkiBum will become famous soon enough

I know what you mean - but do you really want to move to Canada? If so, then it's probably worth hanging in there and the chances are, all will be fine(I'm actually talking against my best interests - I'm going to stick with it, so the more people who withdraw, the better!)
Old Jul 24th 2006, 3:19 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kt0157
I've an Aug 04 AOR and have heard precisely nothing since then. Reading all these posts about people being rejected on spurious grounds it looks like the CHC in London are just making crap up to get rid of people. If this is the case I'm thinking of bailing now, before spending money on meds, before wasting any more time, and when I can get back my application fees.

What's the process for bailing and getting a refund?

K.

Technically there's no basis for claiming a refund of the application fee (although the Right of Landing Fee is refundable if you've already paid it). That's not to say you won't be able to obtain something as CHC London is sometimes "flexible" but don't count on it.

If you do withdraw your application, what's the Plan B? Australia, New Zealand, somewhere else, or stay at home? Remember that once you've withdrawn your application you can't reclaim a place in the queue.
Old Jul 24th 2006, 4:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JAJ
If you do withdraw your application, what's the Plan B? Australia, New Zealand, somewhere else, or stay at home?
New Zealand. Which I suppose opens up Australia too.

I've wanted all along to go to NZ, but my other half wanted Canada for being nearer to family. Since the application has gone in things have shifted anyway, and also it's become apparent that her re-qualifying in Canada requires province-by-province exams and licensing and she'd likely end up driving a cab. So NZ is the plan. OK, there are problems: I don't like Hokey Pokey ice cream.

Remember that once you've withdrawn your application you can't reclaim a place in the queue.
Sure. But it's a queue for a system that has collapsed (although the CIC won't admit this publicly). I'm wondering that even if I kept in the system, and even if they didn't play silly buggers with rejections, they'd bin the whole system and start over before I got processed anyway. Although I have 78 points, I don't have arranged employment, and I rather suspect that the new or interim system will dump anyone without current employment in Canada or pre-arranged employment offers (the latter being very difficult to obtain given the wait for HRDC approval).

K.
Old Jul 24th 2006, 4:58 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

New Zealand. Which I suppose opens up Australia too.

Not until you become a New Zealand citizen (5 years). New Zealand PR gives no rights in Australia.

And even NZ citizens now don't get full PR rights in Australia unless they meet Australia's normal requirements for PR. They can live, work and study in Australia freely, but only as long term temporary residents.

Is Australia not an option, or do you prefer New Zealand?
Old Jul 24th 2006, 5:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JAJ
Not until you become a New Zealand citizen (5 years). New Zealand PR gives no rights in Australia.
That's a shame. I guess that's a recent change? When I was looking at NZ seriously in 2003/4 (and NZ had the horrible interim system) it was easier to get Australian PR then immediately fly to NZ and get a NZ PR permit. I asked a NZIS official about this and he said "yip, a lot of people are doing that."

Is Australia not an option, or do you prefer New Zealand?
I have to confess, I've never been to Australia. Shockingly bad behaviour, given the time I've spent flying all over the world. But please forgive me: I travelled to Japan before I first visited France, and travelled to the US before I first visited Scotland!

K.
Old Jul 24th 2006, 7:38 pm
Missing my family so much

H143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud of

Don't you think it's worth paying a couple of hundred quid for meds, waiting a few months more and then you'll have it (or maybe not but let's think positively here). Then you've got it and can visit Oz and Nz in the meantime and see if you'd like to move there.

Surely it's worth it after waiting 2 years. Remember, people whose applications are running smoothly or who aren't worried, aren't the ones likely to post on here, so you are getting a slighly biased (negative) picture.

It'll drive you nuts in years to come if you start thinking 'what if...'
Old Jul 24th 2006, 8:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Surely it's worth it after waiting 2 years. Remember, people whose applications are running smoothly or who aren't worried, aren't the ones likely to post on here, so you are getting a slighly biased (negative) picture.
True.

It'll drive you nuts in years to come if you start thinking 'what if...'
True.

Maybe doing nothing is the right approach. It's what the CIC do, eh?

K.
Old Jul 25th 2006, 12:15 am
JAJ
Retired

That's a shame. I guess that's a recent change? When I was looking at NZ seriously in 2003/4 (and NZ had the horrible interim system) it was easier to get Australian PR then immediately fly to NZ and get a NZ PR permit. I asked a NZIS official about this and he said "yip, a lot of people are doing that."

New Zealanders have not been able to get automatic PR in Australia since 2001: http://www.nz-oz.gov.au

And the residence period for New Zealand citizenship was increased from 3 years to 5 in April 2005. Makes it much harder to use New Zealand as a "backdoor" to Australia.

But it's not the same way in reverse : Australian citizens (and even PRs) can still get full PR in New Zealand, however it's not such a good idea for Australian PRs because you can lose your Aus PR by living in NZ. Normally better to get citizenship first. The rules could always change of course.