Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

bad experience at immigration show ..please help fellow expats?

bad experience at immigration show ..please help fellow expats?

Old Feb 27th 2011, 10:49 am
Permanent resident

murrin is just really nicemurrin is just really nicemurrin is just really nicemurrin is just really nicemurrin is just really nicemurrin is just really nicemurrin is just really nicemurrin is just really nice
Default bad experience at immigration show ..please help fellow expats?

I am currently awaiting on our passports being returned from Fort Erie and we intend to officially land next weekend but my issue is with my parents.

Initially we had hoped to sponsor my parents out but it looks as though this could take between 4 and 13years so my next idea was for them to find work of their own and come out to Alberta to join us.

(My father is 57yrs and my mother is 56yrs.)

Today they visited the immigration show at the SECC in Glasgow and their hopes of ever joining us in Alberta have been dampened severely.

My mother has applied for a position as retail manger of a retail clothing company and I hope she has as good a chance as anyone else, because she has the experience.
I explained to her that they would need to get the job, get the positive lmo, get the work permit and then arrive in Alberta and that I could help them with their AINP paperwork through the employer driven stream if she so happened to get this position (or any other position for that matter).

But today after visiting the immigration show where they spoke to a Warren Green , he has told them they are (in his words "screwed") because they are too old.

Are they too old?

I havent read anything anywhere implying that this could be a reason (age?) through the employer driven stream to be knocked back for Ainp.....I hoped and beleived that so long as an employer received the positive lmo which led to the work permit and the employer was willing to retain and sponsor the applicant that they would have as a good a chance as anyone else to apply for provincial nomination and then PR.

Please help with (hopefully) some good news for me ..Thankyou.
Old Feb 27th 2011, 10:55 am

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: bad experience at immigration show ..please help fellow expats?

Originally Posted by murrin
I am currently awaiting on our passports being returned from Fort Erie and we intend to officially land next weekend but my issue is with my parents.

Initially we had hoped to sponsor my parents out but it looks as though this could take between 4 and 13years so my next idea was for them to find work of their own and come out to Alberta to join us.

Today they visited the immigration show at the SECC in Glasgow and their hopes of ever joining us in Alberta have been dampened severely.

My mother has applied for a position as retail manger of a retail clothing company and I hope she has as good a chance as anyone else, because she has the experience.
I explained to her that they would need to get the job, get the positive lmo, get the work permit and then arrive in Alberta and that I could help them with their AINP paperwork through the employer driven stream if she so happened to get this position (or any other position for that matter).

But today after visiting the immigration show where they spoke to a Warren Green , he has told them they are (in his words "screwed") because they are too old.

Are they too old?

I havent read anything anywhere implying that this could be a reason (age?) through the employer driven stream to be knocked back for Ainp.....I hoped and beleived that so long as an employer received the positive lmo which led to the work permit and the employer was willing to retain and sponsor the applicant that they would have as a good a chance as anyone else to apply for provincial nomination and then PR.

The age limit on most streams is 50 - I don't know for sure about AINP but if you give them a call, I am sure they will confirm/deny this for you.
Old Feb 27th 2011, 11:03 am
Permanent resident

murrin is just really nicemurrin is just really nicemurrin is just really nicemurrin is just really nicemurrin is just really nicemurrin is just really nicemurrin is just really nicemurrin is just really nice

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
The age limit on most streams is 50 - I don't know for sure about AINP but if you give them a call, I am sure they will confirm/deny this for you.
Thanks (although I hope your wrong)..I will have to wait till tomorrow to contact them which I will do....fingers crossed theres a loophole!
Old Feb 27th 2011, 11:10 am

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks (although I hope your wrong)..I will have to wait till tomorrow to contact them which I will do....fingers crossed theres a loophole!
I know there ARE loopholes, it just depends if your folks fit into one of them.

I have just had a quick google and cannot seem to find any mention of age limits so perhaps they WILL be okay - update us once you have spoken to AINP.

Good luck
Old Feb 27th 2011, 11:22 am
Permanent resident

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
I know there ARE loopholes, it just depends if your folks fit into one of them.

I have just had a quick google and cannot seem to find any mention of age limits so perhaps they WILL be okay - update us once you have spoken to AINP.

Good luck
I will let you know ..thanks
Old Feb 27th 2011, 10:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Waggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud of

Maybe I am missing something, but if the work is in Skill Level 0, A or B (which I assume retail manager is) then afaik age does not prevent applying as FSW2? They do not get any points for age if they are older than 53, but the fact that the operation manual states "Less than 17 or greater than 53 years of age" on the points matrix would indicate that applicants older than 53 may still apply, they simply do not get age points.

With an LMO you get 15 points anyway (10 for arranged employment + 5 more points in adaptability), so is there a chance with education + language etc that your parents could make 67 points and qualify as Federal Skilled Workers (as opposed to provincial)?

If applying now you should be looking at maybe 12 months to get visa (a lot better than 4 to 13 years!).

So IMO if they can get a job offer with a positive LMO, even if they are aged 57, they can still apply as Federal Skilled Workers as long as they can make 67 points.

Wayne.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 1:48 am
Permanent resident

Originally Posted by Waggle
Maybe I am missing something, but if the work is in Skill Level 0, A or B (which I assume retail manager is) then afaik age does not prevent applying as FSW2? They do not get any points for age if they are older than 53, but the fact that the operation manual states "Less than 17 or greater than 53 years of age" on the points matrix would indicate that applicants older than 53 may still apply, they simply do not get age points.

With an LMO you get 15 points anyway (10 for arranged employment + 5 more points in adaptability), so is there a chance with education + language etc that your parents could make 67 points and qualify as Federal Skilled Workers (as opposed to provincial)?

If applying now you should be looking at maybe 12 months to get visa (a lot better than 4 to 13 years!).

So IMO if they can get a job offer with a positive LMO, even if they are aged 57, they can still apply as Federal Skilled Workers as long as they can make 67 points.

Wayne.
Thanks Wayne..its another option to consider, I havent worked out how many points they would have yet..... but I felt that AINP employer driven stream would be better because they didnt need to worry about ielts test or proving education..my mother has worked her way up in the business ,she didnt attend college or anything and could possibly lose points for education.
Also the bonus with AINP is that it would support a fresh work permit without the hassle of lmo again (if needed).
I will try and figure out the points..thanks for advise .
Old Feb 28th 2011, 5:10 am
Permanent resident

ok .its been confirmed that age is not a factor in the ainp employer driven stream.......my mother can go ahead with her application if she receieves the job..woohoo!
basically she has as a good a chance as anyone else out there!
Old Feb 28th 2011, 5:17 am

ok .its been confirmed that age is not a factor in the ainp employer driven stream.......my mother can go ahead with her application if she receieves the job..woohoo!
basically she has as a good a chance as anyone else out there!
YAY! That is great news! Fingers crossed for good news on the job front!
Old Mar 9th 2011, 11:32 am
Forum Regular

xxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nice

Here's an alternative route:

If you get PR in Canada, get a job. Wait a year. File a tax return. Get the government response to your filed return. Apply to sponsor your parents.

Wait appropriate time. Then they come and can work at whatever they want.

In the meantime if they manage to get in by another route all the better.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 11:37 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xxdb
Here's an alternative route:

If you get PR in Canada, get a job. Wait a year. File a tax return. Get the government response to your filed return. Apply to sponsor your parents.

Wait appropriate time. Then they come and can work at whatever they want.

In the meantime if they manage to get in by another route all the better.
The op wanted to avoid this route if possible due to the timescales now on sponsoring parents.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 2:49 pm
Just Joined

derbydonkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Are they too old?

We came to Nova Scotia by investing in a B&B. We now, after 21/2 years, have Permanent Resident status.