Wikiposts

Background form

Old Feb 2nd 2009, 9:35 pm
Just Joined

dazedandconfused is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Background form

Hi all, I have been checking out this forum for some time now with the intention to some day complete the application under the skilled worker ( the intention has been there since 2006!!)...but have now finally got my finger out and am in the process of completing the forms, so go easy on me as I may have a number of 'noddy' questions to post here for some time!

I am just completing the background information and additional family information and am a bit confused as in the additional family form it says to enter mother's family name at birth (which is her maiden name, right?), and on the background form it says enter mother's name, so do I enter her name as it is now, i.e. married surname, or do I go with the family name at birth which was her maiden name?? Her name on the passport is in her married name, if that helps?

really don't want to make a mistake, so any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 9:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Background form

Originally Posted by dazedandconfused
Hi all, I have been checking out this forum for some time now with the intention to some day complete the application under the skilled worker ( the intention has been there since 2006!!)...but have now finally got my finger out and am in the process of completing the forms, so go easy on me as I may have a number of 'noddy' questions to post here for some time!

I am just completing the background information and additional family information and am a bit confused as in the additional family form it says to enter mother's family name at birth (which is her maiden name, right?), and on the background form it says enter mother's name, so do I enter her name as it is now, i.e. married surname, or do I go with the family name at birth which was her maiden name?? Her name on the passport is in her married name, if that helps?

really don't want to make a mistake, so any help would be greatly appreciated!
Firstly, welcome to the forum.

And secondly, do you definitely still qualify for the Skilled Worker visa? You do know big changes were introduced last year so it's no longer enough to just have the requisite number of points?

Old Feb 2nd 2009, 10:06 pm
Just Joined

Hi, thank you for your response, yes luckily we still qualify, we were originally intending to apply with my husband as principle applicant as he has the ultimate eductational scores and overall higher points than me but since the narrowing of the job categories, his job no longer qualifies, and mine does (i work in the finance sector), so I am now the principle applicant and we still have more than 67 points!
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 10:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, thank you for your response, yes luckily we still qualify, we were originally intending to apply with my husband as principle applicant as he has the ultimate eductational scores and overall higher points than me but since the narrowing of the job categories, his job no longer qualifies, and mine does (i work in the finance sector), so I am now the principle applicant and we still have more than 67 points!
Excellent, just wanted to check as a lot of people have been caught out and aren't on the list of 38 'occupations in demand'! In which case definitely apply asap before the list changes.

As for your original question, personally I would go with her name as it is now.

Good luck.
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 10:27 pm
Just Joined

cheers for the quick response, i was just re-reading the forms and the guidance etc, and realised that some of the most straightforward questions are leaving me a bit bamboozled! must be the stress of making sure that I complete the form properly!

are you also going thru the skilled worker route, and how's your experience been so far, if you don't mind me asking?
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 10:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

cheers for the quick response, i was just re-reading the forms and the guidance etc, and realised that some of the most straightforward questions are leaving me a bit bamboozled! must be the stress of making sure that I complete the form properly!

are you also going thru the skilled worker route, and how's your experience been so far, if you don't mind me asking?
I can completely understand - the stress of it all can make you doubt yourself!

We're actually debating going through the skilled worker route too, we were going via a Temporary Work Permit (intra-company transfer for hubby in June this year) and then would have upgraded to PR once we were there if we like it. But hubby's job is also on 'the list' so we may go down that route just to give us the extra security etc of being a PR. Still debating and watching everybody elses applications with interest!!

So I shall be interested to hear how you get on, do keep us all posted. And don't worry about asking questions, that's what we're here for - there are quite a few people now that have gone down the new route so they should be able to help you.

Old Feb 2nd 2009, 10:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

ga1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nice

Unless it specifically stated Maiden Name, use her married name.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 3:30 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I can completely understand - the stress of it all can make you doubt yourself!

We're actually debating going through the skilled worker route too, we were going via a Temporary Work Permit (intra-company transfer for hubby in June this year) and then would have upgraded to PR once we were there if we like it. But hubby's job is also on 'the list' so we may go down that route just to give us the extra security etc of being a PR. Still debating and watching everybody elses applications with interest!!

So I shall be interested to hear how you get on, do keep us all posted. And don't worry about asking questions, that's what we're here for - there are quite a few people now that have gone down the new route so they should be able to help you.

Thanks for your responses, really helpful, no doubt I will return with more questions!

yeh apparently the skilled worker route has become quicker so that if your job is on THE LIST then a response can be expected within 12 months! which is quite good considering the previous system of waiting five years +

am aiming to get these forms off by the end of the week so will keep you posted on developments!