Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Background Declaration - Form IMM5669E

Background Declaration - Form IMM5669E

Old Mar 22nd 2016, 2:41 am
Just Joined

rezaone is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Background Declaration - Form IMM5669E

I submitted my wife's PR application in this month. I fear that I have answered one question incorrect on the IMM5669E form.

I answered no to all questions under section 6, but I might have made misrepresentation.

In 2007 my wife was in London, UK as a student. She applied for visit visa for Canada. She got refused. Now she got her British passport.

My worry is with this question:

6d. Been refused refugee status, an immigrant or permanent resident visa (including a Certificat de sélection du Québec (CSQ) or application to the Provincial Nominee Program) or visitor or temporary resident visa, to Canada or any other Country?

I answered 'No' to this question. I did not mean to answer this questions wrong or falsely, but at the time of filling up the form I actually misinterpreted the question and thought it was asking only if she ever applied for refugee or immigrant or PR visa.

Is it going to create any issue? If there is any chance this might cause a problem how to overcome it?

Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 4:27 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Background Declaration - Form IMM5669E

You need to get in touch with CIC ASAP, else you might get done in for misrepresentation. I am assuming your wife is from a country that requires a visitor visa to Canada, so they'll have a record of her application for a visitors visa.

You should submit a message through the case-specific enquiry page immediately explaining your error and disclosing the refusal. You might want to also submit an email, email addresses can be found in the FAQ linked in my signature.

If CIC finds you first you are in trouble. At least this way if you get a record of it then you can say that you found the issue and tried to correct it, instead of waiting to get caught in the mistake.

I'd like others to weigh in on this... Oompa? Siouxie? Snowy?
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 4:52 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I would be tempted to withdraw the application before they start processing it and resubmit.

How do I cancel my application for family sponsorship?
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 6:00 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Siouxie
I would be tempted to withdraw the application before they start processing it and resubmit.

How do I cancel my application for family sponsorship?
So they received my application package yesterday. Any idea how long it might take for the package to return if I withdraw?
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 6:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

I would tend to agree with Siouxie as the package has only just been received.

Once the officer processing your application discovers the omission (and concludes you haven't told the truth), they aren't likely to believe whatever else you have written.

S

Last edited by Snowy560; Mar 22nd 2016 at 6:31 am.
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 6:35 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

OMG I completely didn't even think of withdrawing.

Yes. Agreed with Siouxie and Snowy. Withdraw and reapply.
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 6:40 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
OMG I completely didn't even think of withdrawing.

Yes. Agreed with Siouxie and Snowy. Withdraw and reapply.
Thanks. But don't you guys think it would delay the process quite a bit? Not sure if I withdraw today when I'm going to get it back.

I have posted this question to other forums where people had the same issue. All they did was send the updated form along with a cover letter explaining the reason why this information was omitted via a case specific inquiry.
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 6:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

It's up to you what you decide to do. The problem with asking the same question in lots of different places is that you will get varying suggestions.

As FL often says: your choice in the end.

S

Last edited by Snowy560; Mar 22nd 2016 at 6:45 am.
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 6:49 am
Just Joined

I called CIC customer center. They asked me to send a case specific inquiry which can be submitted without a file number since I don't have file number yet. At the same time I will an email CPC Mississauga in a couple of days with the updated form. These will be for my record. Once I get the file number after SA, I will send another case specific inquiry again referencing the previous correspondence and send the updated form with a cover letter.

Thanks all of you for your suggestions. Please keep on posting if you have any information to share.
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 7:27 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

The trouble is, you didn't omit the information you gave incorrect information which could be construed as deliberate. Isn't a delay better than a) a refusal and b) potential being found guilty of misrepresentation meaning you would not be given another chance to sponsor your partner.

They don't call the call centre the "Misinformation Line" for nothing - just saying.

It's your call but I wouldn't be risking them filing your additional form before they start processing and finding the issue!

Last edited by Siouxie; Mar 22nd 2016 at 7:30 am.
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 7:33 am
BE Forum Addict

The trouble is, you didn't omit the information you gave incorrect information which could be construed as deliberate.

S
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 1:00 pm
Just Joined

I am sending them the updated form even before the application starts getting processed. So that will eliminate the idea of hiding information/misrepresentation. If someone is hiding info he/she wouldn't try to update the info upfront. I hope they would understand that too. If by any chance the application gets declined I can appeal saying I tried to correct the info right away.

Again thanks for all the inputs.
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 4:20 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by rezaone
I am sending them the updated form even before the application starts getting processed. So that will eliminate the idea of hiding information/misrepresentation. If someone is hiding info he/she wouldn't try to update the info upfront. I hope they would understand that too. If by any chance the application gets declined I can appeal saying I tried to correct the info right away.

Again thanks for all the inputs.
But you are relying on them matching your 'new' form with your application and not processing your old one. Not something I personally would be risking, but it's completely up to you. Please post back and let us know the end result - we'll be keeping our fingers crossed for you.

Old Nov 30th 2016, 5:06 am
Just Joined

But you are relying on them matching your 'new' form with your application and not processing your old one. Not something I personally would be risking, but it's completely up to you. Please post back and let us know the end result - we'll be keeping our fingers crossed for you.

Hi,

Got my wife's COPR today. So the background declaration issue didn't really matter. Thanks.