Background check assumptions

Old Jan 31st 2001, 7:14 am
vitek76

Dear immigration experts:

I have recently come across the following statement on the official CSIS website:
"...the Service gets involved only in cases where an applicant's background presents
security concerns. This determination is done on the basis of analysis and
experience, and in cooperation with CIC officers posted abroad".

My questions are:

1. Does this mean that not every applicant has to undergo a security screening, like,
for example, nationals of stable countries? (I would assume so, since many German
nationals who apply to Berlin post complete the entire process in less than 4
months). Alternatively, if an applicant comes from a problem country (China,
Russia, Iran, etc.), but his age is 22-24 years (so involvement into any
political, antihuman and so on activities are unlikely), can he/she be waived a
security screening? From your experience, do younger applicants have a shorter
background check?

2. It says also that "Queries with foreign agencies are sometimes necessary but the
Service remains ever-vigilant to sources of information operating from a
self-serving agenda." Does it mean that if my government intentionally provides
false information to prevent me from immigrating to Canada, CSIS will not rely on
this info unless it will be confirmed by info received thru their own sources?

Thanks a lot in advance to everyone who replies!

Old Jan 31st 2001, 3:26 pm
David Cohen

I have recently come across the following statement on the
> official CSIS website: "...the Service gets involved only in cases where an applicant's
> background presents security concerns. This determination is done on the basis of
> analysis and experience, and in cooperation with CIC officers posted abroad".
>
> My questions are:
>
> 1. Does this mean that not every applicant has to undergo a security screening,
> like, for example, nationals of stable countries? (I would assume so, since many
> German nationals who apply to Berlin post complete the entire process in less
> than 4 months). Alternatively, if an applicant comes from a problem country
> (China, Russia, Iran, etc.), but his age is 22-24 years (so involvement into any
> political, antihuman and so on activities are unlikely), can he/she be waived a
> security screening? From your experience, do younger applicants have a shorter
> background check?

Each adult applicant does undergo a background clearance. The depth of such a clearance,
however, does vary depending on the individual circumstances of the case. In cases of
applicants with more sensitive histories (occupation, political affiliations, etc.), this
process may take longer as a result of CSIS' intervention in conjunction with the response
times required from foreign governments.

All of these factors combine to make the total duration that is required unpredictable
from one demographic to another. Candidates from some countries are more liable for longer
clearances, but that does not preclude the others from the same.

> 2. It says also that "Queries with foreign agencies are sometimes necessary but the
> Service remains ever-vigilant to sources of information operating from a
> self-serving agenda." Does it mean that if my government intentionally provides
> false information to prevent me from immigrating to Canada, CSIS will not rely
> on this info unless it will be confirmed by info received thru their own
> sources?

It can be imagined that some countries may try to prevent migration of those with
sensitive knowledge. AS CSIS or the immigration department does not divulge the
information obtained in any case, however, it is typically difficult to determine what
information is obtained, and how that is confirmed.
________
CAMPBELL, COHEN - attorneys at law [email protected] http://canadavisa.com

Online Community: http://canadavisa.com/community