Back and forth on a visitor visa

Old Sep 8th 2009, 11:53 pm
Just Joined

sezbean1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Back and forth on a visitor visa

Hi,
I have been staying in Canada (Montreal) on a visitor visa since mid-July. When I crossed the border I asked to stay for 6 months and was told I could. However, it turns out that I need to leave to attend a wedding of a close friend in the US next month. If I leave for 2 weeks and return to Canada will I have an issue coming back? I don't have a ticket back to England at this point and would rather not buy one.

My intention was to stay for 6 months and reapply for a 6 month extension of the tourist visa and then go the sponsorship route after a year of living with my boyfriend. If I come back through without an issue will I be able to stay for 6 months from that point?

If anyone has a similar experience I would love to hear it.

S
Old Sep 9th 2009, 2:07 am
BE Enthusiast

chanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back and forth on a visitor visa

Originally Posted by sezbean1
Hi,
I have been staying in Canada (Montreal) on a visitor visa since mid-July. When I crossed the border I asked to stay for 6 months and was told I could. However, it turns out that I need to leave to attend a wedding of a close friend in the US next month. If I leave for 2 weeks and return to Canada will I have an issue coming back? I don't have a ticket back to England at this point and would rather not buy one.

My intention was to stay for 6 months and reapply for a 6 month extension of the tourist visa and then go the sponsorship route after a year of living with my boyfriend. If I come back through without an issue will I be able to stay for 6 months from that point?

If anyone has a similar experience I would love to hear it.

S
i have made about 10 short trips to canada over the past 12 months to visit my boyfriend. My passport has always been stamped for 6 months. I never have problems now but was asked a lot of questions on my first couple of trips by the immigration officer, asked how much money i had, what my job is, asked to show my flight itinerary etc. If i were you I would book a refundable flight back to england this way, you are less likely to have major problems.
Old Sep 9th 2009, 2:30 am
Corn Nibbler

cornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by chanceUK
i have made about 10 short trips to canada over the past 12 months to visit my boyfriend. My passport has always been stamped for 6 months. I never have problems now but was asked a lot of questions on my first couple of trips by the immigration officer, asked how much money i had, what my job is, asked to show my flight itinerary etc. If i were you I would book a refundable flight back to england this way, you are less likely to have major problems.
The two situations are quite different. You are a genuine visitor to Canada (albeit a frequent one). The OP is trying to live here in visitor status.

To the OP: a ticket home would certainly help if you intend to use it, as would having something to go back to -- such as a home, job, or school. But think about how you're going to answer the immigration officer's questions: how long do you intend to stay in Canada? What will you do here? What do you do back home?

If you're not American, you should also think about how you'll look to the U.S. authorities -- there's no guarantee they'll let you in.

If you're readmitted to Canada, it will usually be for a new six months, but officers do have discretion to grant a different period.
Old Sep 9th 2009, 2:33 am
Forum Regular

Jo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud of

I came in May and had a 6 month stamp but was told by the immigration man that i could have a problem if i visited the US and wanted to come back in with that visa, he said i may be ok i may not he just had to inform me that it could make it invalid. I had to go home to the UK in July for personal reasons and when i returned 3 weeks ago i was told my previous stamp was invalid and i had to show proof of a return ticket.
Old Sep 9th 2009, 3:39 am
BE Enthusiast

bflava has a spectacular aura aboutbflava has a spectacular aura aboutbflava has a spectacular aura about

as far as i know, u always need a retrun ticket if you visit any country 100 times, why do ppl leave IO with options to take????????

why dont you intend to buy one??????

Get a return ticket n have a valid reason for being or coming here.......

Also remember that the US IO are funny ppl......

good luck