Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Baby citizenship & sponsoring spouse

Wikiposts

Baby citizenship & sponsoring spouse

Old Aug 3rd 2004, 10:42 am
Forum Regular

jasslily is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Baby citizenship & sponsoring spouse

Hi

I am sposnoring my british citizen spouse from the U.K
I myself am a canadian citizen
We have just had a baby who was born in the U.K
I understand because i am a candian citizen the baby automatically becomes a canadian zitizen.

The problem i haveis that I want to sposor my spouse for Canada, but I don't have proof of citizenship for our baby.
Apparently we have to send proof of all canadian citizens with the application formd for sposorship.

What do i do

Do I apply for proof of my babys candian citizenship at the same time as sending sposorship for my spouse
or
don't I have to bother with the babies citizenship at all
or any other solution

many thanks
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 11:49 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Baby citizenship & sponsoring spouse

Is the form asking for proof of *your* Canadian citizenship, or your child's.

You will need to get the child a citizenship card and Canadian passport anyway, so I suggest you do so asap. The child should also have a British passport.

How did you get your Canadian citizenship yourself? Were you born or naturalised in Canada? This is important for your child's status when it's older.

And have you got British citizenship or not, out of interest?

Jeremy

Originally posted by jasslily
Hi

I am sposnoring my british citizen spouse from the U.K
I myself am a canadian citizen
We have just had a baby who was born in the U.K
I understand because i am a candian citizen the baby automatically becomes a canadian zitizen.

The problem i haveis that I want to sposor my spouse for Canada, but I don't have proof of citizenship for our baby.
Apparently we have to send proof of all canadian citizens with the application formd for sposorship.

What do i do

Do I apply for proof of my babys candian citizenship at the same time as sending sposorship for my spouse
or
don't I have to bother with the babies citizenship at all
or any other solution

many thanks
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 12:05 pm
Forum Regular

jasslily is an unknown quantity at this point

I obtained my citizenship by living in Canada . I was there for 30 years prior to marrying my British husband.

My Baby has a British passport.

I have been living here for 5 years, so i guess i can apply for British citizenship, but I haven't as yet, as I don't really want to.

It says in the Appendix A Document Checklist for the form
Immigration as a spouse, common-law partner ....

6.Identity and Civil Status Documents
.............. Photocopy of citizenship certificate or immigrant or Permenant resident visa for any family members who are canadian citizens or permenannt residents of Canada.........

Does this mean i need to send them a copy of my babys citizenship certificate ...( and as she is a family member ..)
,but she doesn't have one yet

What shall we do ?
confused again !
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 12:27 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Can't help on the specific query you have on the forms. An expert like Andrew Miller should be able to clarify.

As you're naturalised Canadian, the loss of citizenship provisions do not apply to your child. But (unless the law changes meanwhile) they could well apply if your child has children in future born outside Canada, ie your grandchildren.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizen/retention.html

As you are married to a British citizen, you do not have to intend to continue to live in the UK if you want to naturalise as a British citizen. Doing so would give you the option to return to the UK later on, or live elsewhere in Europe, purely in terms of your own rights. There might be some tax consequences if you use the concessions for non-domiciled individuals in the UK - but you should know already if this applies.

If you leave the UK without taking British citizenship, the option will not be open later on. Information's at:
http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk

You would not lose Canadian citizenship by taking British citizenship.

Depending on the country of your birth (I presume it's not the UK), it might be the case you would lose that citizenship if you have it still.

Also depending on the country involved, you may be able to get that country's citizenship for your child (or your child may already have it, which could mean advantages and/or disadvantages).

Jeremy

Originally posted by jasslily
I obtained my citizenship by living in Canada . I was there for 30 years prior to marrying my British husband.

My Baby has a British passport.

I have been living here for 5 years, so i guess i can apply for British citizenship, but I haven't as yet, as I don't really want to.