Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Baby born abroad when parents' Citzenship is underway

Baby born abroad when parents' Citzenship is underway

Old Apr 6th 2011, 4:41 am
Just Joined

bob78 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Baby born abroad when parents' Citzenship is underway

Hello folks,

We are in process of becoming Canadian Citizens. My wife is pregnant and I received a very tempting job offer abroad. If my wife comes along and the baby is born overseas, will the baby still be eligible for Canadian Citizenship after ours are granted?

Thanks a lot,
Bob
Old Apr 6th 2011, 4:59 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Baby born abroad when parents' Citzenship is underway

hi

Originally Posted by bob78
Hello folks,

We are in process of becoming Canadian Citizens. My wife is pregnant and I received a very tempting job offer abroad. If my wife comes along and the baby is born overseas, will the baby still be eligible for Canadian Citizenship after ours are granted?

Thanks a lot,
Bob
If the child is born in Canada or after the parents become citizens, then the child would be eligible for citizenship. But if the child born before the parents are citizens, then the child is not eligible for citizenship and would have to be sponsored when the parent(s) are residing in Canada.
Old Apr 6th 2011, 5:08 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

If either of you are canadian citizens by the time its born it will be (by decent, so cant pass it on to future generations), if you arent, and its not born in Canada then it wont be.
Old Apr 6th 2011, 5:56 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the replies.

That is exactly what I had in mind until I read this:

Children aged under 18:
The naturalization requirements for children under 18 are different from those for adults.
-the child should be a permanent resident
-a parent of the child should be a Canadian citizen or in the process of applying for Canadian citizenship

The residence and other requirements do not normally apply to those aged under 18.

The second bullet is tricking me when it says "or in the process of applying for Canadian citizenship" .

Bob
Old Apr 6th 2011, 6:40 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Thanks for the replies.

That is exactly what I had in mind until I read this:

Children aged under 18:
The naturalization requirements for children under 18 are different from those for adults.
-the child should be a permanent resident
-a parent of the child should be a Canadian citizen or in the process of applying for Canadian citizenship

The residence and other requirements do not normally apply to those aged under 18.

The second bullet is tricking me when it says "or in the process of applying for Canadian citizenship" .

Bob
But the child has to born, before the citizenship ceremony.
Old Apr 8th 2011, 12:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

bewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud of

Interesting thread!

When did you apply for citizenship? How far pregnant is your wife and when might you leave Canada?

Note that "the child should be a permanent resident", and so that would have to be applied for and approved after the child is born but before your citizenship application gets too far along.

If you have already submitted your applications, then you would have to somehow request to amend the application to include the new baby. Not sure how that would work exactly. You might want to check through these documents:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...s/cp/index.asp

Last edited by bewillow; Apr 8th 2011 at 12:23 pm.
Old Apr 8th 2011, 12:25 pm
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

BTJ is on a distinguished road

If born before one of you is a Canadian Citizen outside Canada you will have to apply to sponsor your child as a PR, however as soon as the child becomes a PR s/he is immediately able to apply for Canadian Citizenship - no 3 year wait.
Old Apr 8th 2011, 1:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
hi

If the child is born in Canada or after the parents become citizens, then the child would be eligible for citizenship.
Actually it would be more than "eligible for citizenship" - it would actually BE a Canadian citizen in either of these 2 scenarios.
Old Apr 9th 2011, 1:27 am
BE Enthusiast

bewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Actually it would be more than "eligible for citizenship" - it would actually BE a Canadian citizen in either of these 2 scenarios.
Not sure which 2 scenarios you are referring to.

The child will only BE a Canadian citizen if the parents are already naturalized. That is unlikely for two reasons: (1) applications for citizenship take longer than average human gestation period and (2) (I believe) the applicants would need to first do a citizenship ceremony, and it sounds like they will not be in Canada in the next while.
Old Apr 9th 2011, 1:54 am
BE Forum Addict

MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Originally Posted by PMM
If the child is born in Canada or after the parents become citizens, then the child would be eligible for citizenship.
Originally Posted by bewillow
Not sure which 2 scenarios you are referring to.

The child will only BE a Canadian citizen if the parents are already naturalized. That is unlikely for two reasons: (1) applications for citizenship take longer than average human gestation period and (2) (I believe) the applicants would need to first do a citizenship ceremony, and it sounds like they will not be in Canada in the next while.
Read my post again. The 2 scenarios are clearly quoted (born in Canada or born after at least one of the parents are naturalized). PMM said the baby would be "eligible for citizenship" in these 2 scenarios. I was merely clarifying the fact that the baby would be more than "eligible for citizenship" - the baby would actually BE a Canadian citizenship at birth in either of these 2 scenarios.

Last edited by MarylandNed; Apr 9th 2011 at 1:57 am.
Old Apr 12th 2011, 8:19 am
Just Joined

This is still not clear to me. We have been living in Canada since 2005. We sent the citizenship papers a month ago. We could have sent it before but at that time there was no rush since we had no plans to leave the country permanently.

The delivery is due in October. I cannot refuse this job offer because it is very unlikely I will have similar opportunity in the actual Canadian economy.

We are leaving in a month, my wife is going to have the baby overseas and we will come back for the test and ceremony when called.

We will probably hire an agent to find out the baby's citizenship situation eventually.

First we need to understand better the meaning of "in process of obtaining the citizenship".

Cheers

Last edited by bob78; Apr 12th 2011 at 8:23 am. Reason: Grammar correction
Old Apr 12th 2011, 8:48 am
BE Forum Addict

This is still not clear to me. We have been living in Canada since 2005. We sent the citizenship papers a month ago. We could have sent it before but at that time there was no rush since we had no plans to leave the country permanently.

The delivery is due in October. I cannot refuse this job offer because it is very unlikely I will have similar opportunity in the actual Canadian economy.

We are leaving in a month, my wife is going to have the baby overseas and we will come back for the test and ceremony when called.

We will probably hire an agent to find out the baby's citizenship situation eventually.

First we need to understand better the meaning of "in process of obtaining the citizenship".

Cheers
It means that the child can apply for citizenship IF the child is already a Canadian permanent resident AND one of its parents is a Canadian citizen or in the process of applying for Canadian citizenship. But this doesn't help you because your child can't be a permanent resident at birth. Permanent residence has to be applied for separately.
Old Apr 12th 2011, 10:15 am
Just Joined

Understood. I was seeing the required bullets as an "OR" and that's what confused me.

It is clear now that we will have to sponsor the child to obtain his/her Canadian Citizenship.

Many thanks!
Old Apr 12th 2011, 6:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

It is clear now that we will have to sponsor the child to obtain his/her Canadian Citizenship.
I'm sure you know this, and it's just the way the above sentence is written, but just to confirm that you will be sponsoring the child for Permanent Residence, not citizenship. Once s/he has lived in Canada as a PR for three years, then you can apply for their citizenship.

Also note that you cannot sponsor from abroad unless you are a citizen by that point, if you are a Permanent Resident you can only sponsor when you are living in Canada.

Also, if you don't get your citizenship (it's often tricky when abroad to fly back at only a week or so's notice for the test etc), then don't forget you must spend 2 years out of every 5 in Canada to maintain your PR.

Old Apr 12th 2011, 9:21 pm
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

BTJ is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Once s/he has lived in Canada as a PR for three years, then you can apply for their citizenship.
Minors do not need to satisfy the residence requirement, they just need at least 1 parent with citizenship or a citizenship application pending. So rather annoyingly you apply for PR, get PR visa, land in Canada and then same day apply for citizenship.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...ons/minors.asp

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.