Babies born in Canada

Old Nov 10th 2004, 9:19 am
ibi
Just Joined

ibi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Babies born in Canada

Seeking Expert Advice:
Hello
If my wife gives birth in a Canada, would the new born baby gets the Canadian passport on the spot
Thanks
Old Nov 10th 2004, 11:09 am
Forum Regular

mark-r is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Babies born in Canada

Originally Posted by ibi
Seeking Expert Advice:
Hello
If my wife gives birth in a Canada, would the new born baby gets the Canadian passport on the spot
Thanks
wouldn't get it on the spot (they wouldn't throw a passport at you )

but, your daughter will be entitled to one yep. need to register her birth, apply for birth certificate (can do this in one go but this isn't often told) and then apply for the passport, might take a couple of months.
Old Nov 10th 2004, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

louisa is an unknown quantity at this point

bit of paperwork to do first! depends on the province but in Alberta you register the birth at the hospital, apply for birth cert. 3 weeks later, wait for SIN number and then apply for passport. passport took a week. bingo, baby is Canadian!

Originally Posted by ibi
Seeking Expert Advice:
Hello
Thanks
Old Nov 11th 2004, 7:30 am
keep checking....

mhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to all

Originally Posted by louisa
bit of paperwork to do first! depends on the province but in Alberta you register the birth at the hospital, apply for birth cert. 3 weeks later, wait for SIN number and then apply for passport. passport took a week. bingo, baby is Canadian!
For us in Ontario we applied for Birth cert. and with that for PP. 4 weeks later...bingo as louisa mentioned
Old Nov 12th 2004, 1:53 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by louisa
The baby is Canadian from the moment of birth, it's just the documentary proof of this that takes time.

Jeremy
Old Nov 12th 2004, 12:26 pm
Forum Regular

Siona is an unknown quantity at this point

In New Brunswick, you fill out the forms at the hospital and they look after sending the info to Service N.B. In a few weeks you get your child’s birth certificate in the mail. Don’t need a social insurance number to apply for a passport here…All you do is take the birth certificate and your photo id to the passport office along with the completed application and required photos. You can either pay more to have the passport issued within a day or two or pay the regular fee to have it issued within a few weeks.
Old Nov 12th 2004, 1:41 pm
keep checking....

mhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ibi
Seeking Expert Advice:
Hello
Thanks
Other thing is, once you have the birth cert. depending on what country you and your wife are from, you may be able to have the baby added into your passport for travel purpose.
Old Nov 12th 2004, 1:56 pm
Just Joined

Cgoodwyn is an unknown quantity at this point

I also have a question about babies born in Canada.

I am Canadian and my girlfriend is american If she were to become pregnant would she be covered since she is having my baby? If not, is there something I could do so she could be covered?

Did a search on CIC and didn't find what I'm looking for other than sponsoring common law.

Thanks.

Last edited by Cgoodwyn; Nov 12th 2004 at 2:08 pm.
Old Nov 12th 2004, 4:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cgoodwyn
I also have a question about babies born in Canada.

I am Canadian and my girlfriend is american If she were to become pregnant would she be covered since she is having my baby? If not, is there something I could do so she could be covered?

Did a search on CIC and didn't find what I'm looking for other than sponsoring common law.

Thanks.
No, you don't get citizenship by being the parent of a canadian citizen (i.e. as the mother of your theoretical canadian child). You'd need to sponsor her as spouse/common-law.

Biiiiink
Old Nov 12th 2004, 5:01 pm
Forum Regular

The medical expences for labour and delivery are only covered if the female has medicare. One suggestion though would be that your girl friend enter Canada on a visitor’s permit and then apply to medicare (some provinces have a 3 month waiting period so you would want to do it ASAP).
Old Nov 12th 2004, 6:01 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Siona

Originally Posted by Siona
The medical expences for labour and delivery are only covered if the female has medicare. One suggestion though would be that your girl friend enter Canada on a visitor’s permit and then apply to medicare (some provinces have a 3 month waiting period so you would want to do it ASAP).
Visitors are not eligible for medicare in most provinces.

PMM
Old Nov 12th 2004, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

Hi again, My husband received medicare approval after being here for 3 months on a visitor's record??
Old Nov 12th 2004, 6:56 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi siona

Originally Posted by Siona
Hi again, My husband received medicare approval after being here for 3 months on a visitor's record??
Bet that he was being sponsored?

PMM
Old Nov 12th 2004, 8:50 pm
Deep in the red C.

Iginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mhhp
Other thing is, once you have the birth cert. depending on what country you and your wife are from, you may be able to have the baby added into your passport for travel purpose.
A lot of countries are doing away with that now and the child must have his/her own passport