Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

B4E Customs' Declaration forms for new settlers

B4E Customs' Declaration forms for new settlers

Old Mar 11th 2014, 2:08 am
Forum Regular

Donnykins is a jewel in the roughDonnykins is a jewel in the roughDonnykins is a jewel in the roughDonnykins is a jewel in the roughDonnykins is a jewel in the rough
Default B4E Customs' Declaration forms for new settlers

We hope to fly out to Calgary next month, having now received our Permanent Residency documents. Having sold nearly all of our worldly goods, we are planning to fly club class in order to take advantage of the extra baggage allowance for things we absolutely cannot part with. However...we have been given B4E forms from our Immigration Consultants (too scared to do it alone) and are a bit confused and scared of coming a cropper going through customs. Now I understand that we need to list all of our luggage contents, grouping similar items together on the forms. However, what the hell is the value in CDN$??? and why do they need to know this? All of our stuff belongs to us, and will be used by us at the other end, until such time as they are fit for the bin. Will I have to pay duty on my stuff? Also nervous about taking prescription and over-the-counter meds. I know you need a GP note to cover this, but have been stock-piling a bit to tide me over at the other end. Also, what is the rules regarding over-the-counter meds? Need an expert who has gone through this before, to point me in the right direction.
Old Mar 11th 2014, 12:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: B4E Customs' Declaration forms for new settlers

No you won't have to pay any taxes providing you have had the goods for more than 6 months and they have been used.
Read this link for settlers effects
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...1-eng.html#_a8

For Canadian values just use a 2 to one ratio i.e. 1 GBP = 2 Canadian dollars
Its only an estimated value that they require.
Just prepare a list with a brief description of goods and their values.
Why do we need to know this? Because the rules say so and so does the link in paragraph 17