Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

<B>New Born Child In Usa................New Born Child In Usa................</B>

<B>New Born Child In Usa................New Born Child In Usa................</B>

Old Apr 30th 2005, 4:21 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New Born Child In Usa................New Born Child In Usa............Need Advise

Depending from visa post - but if you didn't get visa yet then few weeks to few months for medical forms for baby to arrive and then another couple monthe for passport request. Providing of course that you know how to add baby to the case and submit all at once, without waiting for instructions from visa post.

Note that above applies only if visas have not yet been issued.

Originally Posted by Ibraheem
May I ask how long does the process of adding you baby take? I mean if you already receive your passport request?
Old Apr 30th 2005, 5:43 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Born Child In Usa................New Born Child In Usa............Need Advise

Originally Posted by khan2005_it
[B]Andrew Thanks for ur information.

Actually visa post approved my visas on April 1st week 2005 (That time we can't travel, because my wife is 9th month pregnant), my child was born on April 3rd week. That’s why we did not land in Canada.
Your best chance now is to follow Andrew's advice.

If you were in the US (Ohio) you should have got in the car and driven up to the Canadian border to land as soon as you had the visas. And even if your wife was unable to travel, you should have landed yourself and then worked out a way to sponsor her (and the child) later on. Assuming your US visas would have allowed you to come back into the US from Canada.

Or you could have had the child born in Canada instead of the US.

Jeremy
Old Apr 30th 2005, 6:45 am

Unfortunately for them too many still believe that having child born in US is better than born in Canada and that having a child with US citizenship will give them benefits. It won't, it is just one of many myths and urban legends .

Originally Posted by JAJ
Your best chance now is to follow Andrew's advice.

If you were in the US (Ohio) you should have got in the car and driven up to the Canadian border to land as soon as you had the visas. And even if your wife was unable to travel, you should have landed yourself and then worked out a way to sponsor her (and the child) later on. Assuming your US visas would have allowed you to come back into the US from Canada.

Or you could have had the child born in Canada instead of the US.

Jeremy
Old May 5th 2005, 2:21 pm
Just Joined

khan2005_it is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New Born Child In Usa

Dear Sir / Andrew,
what do you mean updated application forms? Plesae clarify.
Thanks,

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
Khan,

There may still be a chance to save all if visa post wants to be flexible - you have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Immediately write to visa post notifying them about birth of new baby and ask for instructions how to add baby to your application. Expect one of 2 scenarios:

1. Visa post will say - sorry, but your visas are no longer valid and you must re-apply

or if you are really lucky

2. Visa post will send you instructions and ask for passports to be returned to invalidate visas. Once you submit required documents (baby's birth certificate, photos and baby's passport, updated application forms and CAD 150 fee) and your passports visa post will invalidate visas in your passports and sends them back with medical forms for baby. After medicals are done visa post will ask for passports to issue new visas.
Old May 5th 2005, 3:18 pm

Default Re: New Born Child In Usa

In application forms (IMM 0008 and IMM 5406) you list your dependants - obviously your new baby is not listed on original forms, thus they need to be updated.

But in your particular cas you must ask visa post for instructions as you already got visas and now they are invalid. What are you waiting for? Already week passed since I advised you to immediately notify visa post and ask for instructions.

Originally Posted by khan2005_it
Dear Sir / Andrew,
what do you mean updated application forms? Plesae clarify.
Thanks,
Old May 5th 2005, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

alton is an unknown quantity at this point

Your already obtained visas became invalid the moment baby was born.
Hi Andrew,

When I claimed my visa, I also got a "Dear Applicant" letter. There is one part of that lettet which says

"You must report all changes in your family configuration and marital status BEFORE your departure for Canada. This includes BIRTHS, deaths, marriages, divorces, new custody arrangements and adoptions involving you and/your dependents. IF YOU FAIL TO DO SO AND TRAVEL TO CANADA, YOU AND YOUR FAMILY MEMBERS WILL NOT BE ADMITTED AS PERMANENT RESIDENTS"

My interpretation on this is that visas does not become invalid automatically because of changes in the family configuration. So it seems that in the case of the original poster, their visas are not yet invalid. Only when they try to land that it will.
Old May 5th 2005, 5:39 pm

Visas are invalid, period. If visa post decides to be flexible and allows to add newborn baby then they will ask for passports to be returned in order to physically invalidate visas first.

BTW - the very same warning about changes in family composition and marital status is on every piece of correspondence received from visa post. On AOR letter, on interview waiver, on passport request, etc.. It is impossible not to see it, unless someone doesn't want to see it for some strange reason.

And most of the time those "who don't see it" are temporary residing in US on work or student visas and believe that US citizenship for their baby is worth taking all the risk. Unfortunately for them it doesn't work that way.

Originally Posted by alton
Hi Andrew,

When I claimed my visa, I also got a "Dear Applicant" letter. There is one part of that lettet which says

"You must report all changes in your family configuration and marital status BEFORE your departure for Canada. This includes BIRTHS, deaths, marriages, divorces, new custody arrangements and adoptions involving you and/your dependents. IF YOU FAIL TO DO SO AND TRAVEL TO CANADA, YOU AND YOUR FAMILY MEMBERS WILL NOT BE ADMITTED AS PERMANENT RESIDENTS"

My interpretation on this is that visas does not become invalid automatically because of changes in the family configuration. So it seems that in the case of the original poster, their visas are not yet invalid. Only when they try to land that it will.
Old May 5th 2005, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

alton is an unknown quantity at this point

You made the huge mistake - instead of sending passports for visas you should have notified visa post about baby coming any day and then add the baby to your still pending application.
I think a lot of people are making mistakes like this because they thought that the warning given by CIC about changes in the family does not yet apply to them. Because technically if your wife is pregnant, there hasn't been any changes yet. Besides, in the warning, pregnancy is not mentioned. So a lot of people, I believe, will wait after the baby is born before informing CIC, which is unfortunately is too late.