Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Awaiting PR - Short term Options Question

Awaiting PR - Short term Options Question

Old May 30th 2017, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

MegaJamie is a name known to allMegaJamie is a name known to allMegaJamie is a name known to allMegaJamie is a name known to allMegaJamie is a name known to allMegaJamie is a name known to allMegaJamie is a name known to allMegaJamie is a name known to allMegaJamie is a name known to allMegaJamie is a name known to allMegaJamie is a name known to all
Default Awaiting PR - Short term Options Question

Hi All,

I Submitted by PR application back in April after getting my ITA in Feb (FSW EE stream)

I currently reside in the UK.

Since submitting my application I have been offered a position as a lecturer at a college in BC, I am originally a Radiographer (Medical Radiation technologist in Canada) and have taken the national assessment to work in that profession, I have no prior lecturing experience but its a good opportunity and its teaching my profession so I went for it.

for whatever reason the college is unwilling to go down the LMIA route

the college want me to start in August / September, and given the 6 month turn around time for PR applications that is unlikely especially to get affair sin order when i know i've gotten it,

So i was looking for a short term option;

Am I missing anything really obviously available to me that could help?
        Old May 30th 2017, 10:26 am
        SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
        Default Re: Awaiting PR - Short term Options Question

Originally Posted by MegaJamie
          Nope. A TRV isn't relevant to you anyway as a UK citizen, but you can't apply for a work based permit without a job offer etc.

Originally Posted by MegaJamie
            It's actually less than a semester (term), not a year, and can't be for anything that covers a whole academic course. So if your job offer qualifies, then that's a really good option. Failing that, a LMIA would be your only option so if the employer isn't prepared to do that, a work permit isn't possible I'm afraid.

HTH.
            Old May 30th 2017, 10:34 am
            Forum Regular

MegaJamie is a name known to allMegaJamie is a name known to allMegaJamie is a name known to allMegaJamie is a name known to allMegaJamie is a name known to allMegaJamie is a name known to allMegaJamie is a name known to allMegaJamie is a name known to allMegaJamie is a name known to allMegaJamie is a name known to allMegaJamie is a name known to all
            Default Re: Awaiting PR - Short term Options Question

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
            Nope. A TRV isn't relevant to you anyway as a UK citizen, but you can't apply for a work based permit without a job offer etc.

It's actually less than a semester (term), not a year, and can't be for anything that covers a whole academic course. So if your job offer qualifies, then that's a really good option. Failing that, a LMIA would be your only option so if the employer isn't prepared to do that, a work permit isn't possible I'm afraid.

HTH.
            I thought the TRV wouldn't be that easy, weirdly CIC site didnt put up an argument about me applying for it from UK, but i guess it checks your citizenship later on rather than the initial questionnaire.

I missread the semester thing, give that they want me permanent full time then I think that won't work anyway, unless they write to me an offer to guest lecture for the first semester, by which point i'll have PR, but that seems again very close to the wire.

thanks for the second opinion christmasoompa, i thought I was just going to have to wait and see.