Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Average Starting Salary For Electrical Engineer

Average Starting Salary For Electrical Engineer

Old Apr 22nd 2005, 5:57 pm
MNS
Just Joined

MNS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Average Starting Salary For Electrical Engineer

Hi,

I would like to know the average starting salary for a new immigrant Electrical Engineer in Canada with 20+ years of experience and my Qualifications considered as equivalent to the Canadian degree by CCPE.

MNS
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 6:08 pm
Forum Regular

bartM will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Average Starting Salary For Electrical Engineer

A friend of mine, fresh after his MSc got 51k in Alta. The APPEGA gives a median of 96k for all engineer members. I would think you should be getting like 70k? This is just my ballpark estimate.

Originally Posted by MNS
Hi,

I would like to know the average starting salary for a new immigrant Electrical Engineer in Canada with 20+ years of experience and my Qualifications considered as equivalent to the Canadian degree by CCPE.

MNS
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 6:10 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by MNS
Hi,

MNS
$68K - $91K see www.monster.ca

PMM
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 6:12 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I believe McDonalds pays about $8/hr

Do you have any canadian experience or qualifications?

How lucky are you? Could be anything from that (or worse!) up to $80k+ p.a.

You cant even become a member of APEGGA/PEng without having a years experience under a canadian PEng, so its chicken and egg, no job=no experience=no membership, no membership=no job. Once you manage to get a job in your field, then salaries may start to get closer to the levels quoted, but dont expect anything like that soon after landing.

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst. Visit the lifestyle area for a realistic picture of what to expect as a newcommer without canadian experience, it certainly isnt the fantasy average figures provided by PMM and others.

Last edited by iaink; Apr 22nd 2005 at 6:36 pm.
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 7:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

reddy_cd is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I agree with iaink on most of the things he/she pointed out in his/her post. But as everybody says luck also matters to get a good start. FYI: one of my friends who is a mining engineer with 17 years of experience from India landed last year but could not find job until recently.

But he got job very recently with starting salary of over $70k without any canadian exper. and P.Eng status.

Wahat I would say is all the time and your attitude (attitude because many people give up even to apply for jobs when they don't get any calls for interview).

I also know another instance where couple of of guys with the better qualifications and even with more experience could not fiind any jobs even after 5 years of their saty here.

You can see here both sides of the coin.

Reddy

Originally Posted by iaink
I believe McDonalds pays about $8/hr

Do you have any canadian experience or qualifications?

How lucky are you? Could be anything from that (or worse!) up to $80k+ p.a.

You cant even become a member of APEGGA/PEng without having a years experience under a canadian PEng, so its chicken and egg, no job=no experience=no membership, no membership=no job. Once you manage to get a job in your field, then salaries may start to get closer to the levels quoted, but dont expect anything like that soon after landing.

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst. Visit the lifestyle area for a realistic picture of what to expect as a newcommer without canadian experience, it certainly isnt the fantasy average figures provided by PMM and others.
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 7:27 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a poll carried out among posters in the lifestyle area a little while ago...A bit more relevent to a newcommer than the monster or PEng surveys...some interesting discussion as well.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=239264

Here is a sister thread on how long to land a job...

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=248291

Last edited by iaink; Apr 22nd 2005 at 7:32 pm.