Automatic e-CAS Tracker

Old Feb 10th 2010, 5:19 am
Forum Regular

matthewc is a name known to allmatthewc is a name known to allmatthewc is a name known to allmatthewc is a name known to allmatthewc is a name known to allmatthewc is a name known to allmatthewc is a name known to allmatthewc is a name known to allmatthewc is a name known to allmatthewc is a name known to allmatthewc is a name known to all
Default Automatic e-CAS Tracker

Hi everyone

Just a quick follow-up to this thread:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=497167

I made the e-CAS Tracker originally, and have just finished some major improvements. It can now watch e-CAS for you before your e-CAS file is working, and email you when it starts working. Also, you can put in different possibilities for your login info (sometimes there is more than one possibility and what works with e-CAS is one but not the other - the classic that caught me out was England vs. United Kingdom for country of birth).

Anyway, please check it out if you're wasting time logging into e-CAS ritually every day, and let me know directly if you have any questions.

Here it is:

https://ecas.carroll.org.uk

I don't really spend any time on immigration forums anymore since becoming a Canadian permanent resident in 2008, so if you find it useful, spread the word.

Matthew
Old Feb 10th 2010, 7:22 am
Future Albertan

Kaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Automatic e-CAS Tracker

Originally Posted by matthewc
so if you find it useful, spread the word.
There is a problem with this website's security certificate.

The security certificate presented by this website was not issued by a trusted certificate authority.

Security certificate problems may indicate an attempt to fool you or intercept any data you send to the server.

We recommend that you close this webpage and do not continue to this website.
Old Feb 10th 2010, 7:54 am
BE Forum Addict

joinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond repute

I agreed not the best place to access secure ecas info
* noticed links to the ' ecas tracker ' on other threads on this forum *

Last edited by joinerboy; Feb 10th 2010 at 7:57 am.
Old Feb 10th 2010, 8:16 am
Forum Regular

matthewc is a name known to allmatthewc is a name known to allmatthewc is a name known to allmatthewc is a name known to allmatthewc is a name known to allmatthewc is a name known to allmatthewc is a name known to allmatthewc is a name known to allmatthewc is a name known to allmatthewc is a name known to allmatthewc is a name known to all

Hi Kaye

The tracker site uses the same strength of encryption as your bank, I just chose to use a free certificate from CAcert rather than one that is no more or less secure in any way, but costs money.

UK internet provider AAISP has a good description of the problem, but basically it comes down to the fact that whoever makes your web browser decides what certificate issuers to trust for you, and gives that warning if the certificate comes from another issuer: http://www.aaisp.net.uk/cacert.html.

If you look at the certificate details in your browser, and check its "fingerprint", it should be one of these:

MD5 = 21:4D:7D:E4:CE:80:E1:9B:54:29:24:17:79:70:0E:BC
SHA1 = 48:97:AE:10:0C:68:6E:78:A1:8F:8F5:BF:11:91F:68 :AD:57:EB

If you do that, then (a) you can be sure you're connecting to my server, and (b) you just made more sure your connection is actually secure and going where you think it's going than 99.9+% of people on the internet ever bother to do, including when connecting to their banks.

The irony, of course, is that if I put the tracker sign-up on a completely insecure connection (http not https) more people would probably use it, as there wouldn't be the warning.

Thanks for posting the reply anyway (whether or not you choose to use the tracker) - I should put something on the tracker page about this.

Matthew
Old Feb 16th 2010, 7:34 am
Forum Regular

I just got a new certificate from startssl.com, which should be fully recognised by all the major browsers. If anyone still gets security warnings, let me know directly.