Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

autistic 14 year old & immigration

autistic 14 year old & immigration

Old Dec 27th 2009, 12:44 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: autistic 14 year old & immigration

Hi

Originally Posted by fledermaus
I don't know if this is any help to you but when we applied CIC told us that they cannot refuse someone because of their disability. They can refuse if they have a medical condition related to the disability that would cause excess demand.

I am profoundly deaf and was when we had our medicals. Since we have become PRs I have had a cochlear implant courtesy of OHIP. The thinking behind it is that the investment in the implant means that I am able to work and so contribute to the economy. etc etc. The investment in the educational needs of a person with autism could be considered the same if it means that they are able to work.
Excessive demand does not apply to spousal/dependent children applications. It applies to all other applications and if the treatment costs over $5400 per year, then it is considered "excessive demand" I suggest that you read http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...009/ob063b.asp and http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...2008/ob063.asp
Old Dec 27th 2009, 12:49 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

Excessive demand does not apply to spousal/dependent children applications. It applies to all other applications and if the treatment costs over $5400 per year, then it is considered "excessive demand" I suggest that you read http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...009/ob063b.asp and http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...2008/ob063.asp
why?
Old Dec 27th 2009, 1:10 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

HI

Originally Posted by fledermaus
why?
Because the statement you previously made is completely wrong.
"CIC told us that they could not refuse anybody because of disability"
Old Dec 28th 2009, 12:39 am
Onwards and upwards!

fatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by PMM
HI

thanks for the info...however, having read both of the attached threads it clearly says that it applies to family members but they can't blanket ban anyone with a disability coming to Canada they must look at each case individually. At least that's how I understand it or have I read it wrong? I think at the moment the letter we have is just the CIC officer asking for more information from school. We haven't had anything to ask us to submit a plan or anything like that. My plan is to delay it as long as possible as my son only has 3 and half years left at school so his education costs will deplete the longer we delay it. I know its a shot in the dark but whatever works. We will have to renew our visa's anyway as they run out in April so i want to delay that so they can at least give us some more time on the visa. What i'll try and do today is upload the letter on to the forum so we have a complete picture and the process can be followed just in case anyone else is going through similar. Thanks again guys keep the ideas coming.
Old Dec 28th 2009, 2:52 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by PMM
HI

My statement is not wrong. That is what CIC told me, they told me that it was illegal. It's the medical conditions associated with a disability that can incur refusal not the disability itself.

Perhaps you think that CIC gave me the wrong information but that doesn't make my statement wrong. I also think that my case supports what they told me.
Old Dec 28th 2009, 3:21 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lancashirebird
what auld yin means if they are canadian born then they get the help, like in the uk you get the same level of help.
If you are moving to the country then they need to make sure that you are not a demand on the system, could you imagine every person that gets pr has a special needs child....that is why every case is looked at now..
I know it doesnt help you and believe me i have my problems with PR, but its something that i looked at before i came and also problems that came up now that i have to deal with.....
Try and find out what the costs are, maybe worth employing an agent....
No, what i think Auld Yin suggested is that if the people the OP looks after are NOT canadian and are more disabled, the OP should consult their parents to find out how they became residents of Canada.
Old Dec 28th 2009, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

lifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to all

Hi,

I sympathise with your situation. You're settled and happy and you obviously have things going well for your son right now. My only suggestion is to prepare yourself with reports, independent medical/educational assessments etc as best you can. Don't waste time avoiding preparing documents and hoping that it'll all be ok. Make a written plan of how you have, are and will prepare/support your son as a family to make him as able to integrate into society as much as is possible. If you want to stay you're going to have to fight for it.
Old Dec 28th 2009, 9:47 am
Onwards and upwards!

fatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by lifeisajourney
Hi,

I sympathise with your situation. You're settled and happy and you obviously have things going well for your son right now. My only suggestion is to prepare yourself with reports, independent medical/educational assessments etc as best you can. Don't waste time avoiding preparing documents and hoping that it'll all be ok. Make a written plan of how you have, are and will prepare/support your son as a family to make him as able to integrate into society as much as is possible. If you want to stay you're going to have to fight for it.
Thanks L, i am going to get as much prepared as I can but until tax return we have no money to pay for anything else. Its a catch 22 i think because if we prepare everything now and send it off and they say no, we will have to leave in April, which doesn't leave us much time to save to go anywhere else and like i said we don't have money for a lawyer or anything, but if we can delay it and extend our twp then at least we will have some money if the worst happens or to pay for a lawyer if they think we can win. I don't know i think i need to take a step back as its getting me down now, but thanks for the support it really is appreciated.
Old Dec 28th 2009, 9:56 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatcat65
Thanks L, i am going to get as much prepared as I can but until tax return we have no money to pay for anything else. Its a catch 22 i think because if we prepare everything now and send it off and they say no, we will have to leave in April, which doesn't leave us much time to save to go anywhere else and like i said we don't have money for a lawyer or anything, but if we can delay it and extend our twp then at least we will have some money if the worst happens or to pay for a lawyer if they think we can win. I don't know i think i need to take a step back as its getting me down now, but thanks for the support it really is appreciated.
From what you've said you can get a twp extension? Do that - it will buy you some time to save and collect info xxxx (Thats in my opinion btw)