Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Attorney A. Miller & Other Experts (Citizenship Question)

Attorney A. Miller & Other Experts (Citizenship Question)

Old Feb 14th 2002, 12:45 pm
Jeandelize B Go

Default Attorney A. Miller & Other Experts (Citizenship Question)

Hello Experts. Hope everyone is having a good day. I thank you all in advance for
your expert comments.

Question:

In 1997, after landing in British Columbia I moved to Nova Scotia and got my medical
card, driver's liscience, etc. I also regsitered a business there hoping to grow and
prosper there.

However, prosperity did not come. As a result, I went to Montreal, Quebec to live
with my cousins. I also regsitered the same business in Quebec and started working on
it. I still kept my mailing address in Nova Scotia, but although I kept moving
between Nova Scotia and Quebec, I spent most of the time in Montreal Quebec.
Nevertheless, since I did not have any established credit in Canada, I lived with my
cousins without having an apartment contract in my name. This was also true about my
address in Nova Scotia. In other words, even though I had a mailing address in Nova
Scotia I did not have an apartment contract in my name there either.

Anyway, I spent almost all of my time in Quebec without getting Quebec's medical card
or the driver's liscence there (There was no need for those. I am pretty healthy and
public transportation is great in Montreal. So there was no need for any of those).

Last year, however, my cousin in Montreal had to leave Canada. It was a difficlut
situation for me. Without established credit in Canada, nobody was going to rent me
an apartment (Also, up till the time my cousin was in Canada, I tried operating my
business through my cousin's apartment in Montreal).

With my cousin moving out of the country and with no established credit in Canada, I
could not rent an aprtment. My business was not doing very well either. As a result,
I could not even rely on my business "success" to establish my credit and to get an
apartment.

Fortunately, my cousin finally agreed to co-sign a new apartment contract under my
name so I could at least rent an apartment under my name. In other words, I finally
got my own address in Montreal, QC.

Ten months have passed since that happened.

QUESTIONS:

This brings us to my question. I would like to apply for Canadian citizenship now.
The question is what addresses to use for my application considering I lived most of
the time in Quebec (including going to school in Quebec three summers) even though I
still used my Nova Scotia address as my address and although I did not get my Quebec
medical and driver's liscience and apartment until ten months ago (in terms of my
apartment, basically due to not having credit to do so until my cousin agreed to help
me--as I explained fully above).

What should I do? What address should I use on my citizenship application? Is the
fact that I did not get my Quebec medical insurance card and driver's liscence till
ten months ago going to be against me if I put down my present address in Montreal?
On the other hand, since I spent most of the time in Quebec, putting down Nova
Scotia's address on my citizenship application is not going to be accurate.

What is to be done? Please let me know.

I thank everyone again. Have a great day. JGR

Old Feb 14th 2002, 1:05 pm
Andrew Miller

Default Re: Attorney A. Miller & Other Experts (Citizenship Question)

You should use your current address on your application form.

But based on all your previous posts in this group and the fact that you are always
posting from Massachusetts I don't think that the address will be your main problem
with citizenship application. You will be asked to prove meeting residency
requirements and please don't be offended, but your story may not hold the water - it
may sound like an excuse for not having any trace of living in Canada, no phone or
other utility bills, no rental agreement, zip, nada...

If you were living with your cousin then what was the problem adding you to the
rental agreement, to have a phone in your name, to pay utility bills in both
names? Not only would you have evidence of living in Canada, but also you would
build your credit.

I'm not trying to judge you here, don't get me wrong - I'm only pointing to the
weakness of your case from the objective observer's perspective, so you can prepare
yourself better.

--

../..

Andrew Miller Immigration Consultant Vancouver, British Columbia email:
millercicanada.com (delete REMOVE and INVALID from the above address before
sending email)

"Jeandelize B Gonzalez-Rivera" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Hello Experts. Hope everyone is having a good day. I thank you all in advance for
    > your expert comments.
    >
    > Question:
    >
    > In 1997, after landing in British Columbia I moved to Nova Scotia and got my
    > medical card, driver's liscience, etc. I also regsitered a business there hoping to
    > grow and prosper there.
    >
    > However, prosperity did not come. As a result, I went to Montreal, Quebec to live
    > with my cousins. I also regsitered the same business in Quebec and started
    > working on it. I still kept my mailing address in Nova Scotia, but although I
    > kept moving between Nova Scotia and Quebec, I spent most of the time in Montreal
    > Quebec. Nevertheless, since I did not have any established credit in Canada, I
    > lived with my cousins without having an apartment contract in my name. This was
    > also true about my address in Nova Scotia. In other words, even though I had a
    > mailing address in Nova Scotia I did not have an apartment contract in my name
    > there either.
    >
    > Anyway, I spent almost all of my time in Quebec without getting Quebec's medical
    > card or the driver's liscence there (There was no need for those. I am pretty
    > healthy and public transportation is great in Montreal. So there was no need for
    > any of those).
    >
    > Last year, however, my cousin in Montreal had to leave Canada. It was a difficlut
    > situation for me. Without established credit in Canada, nobody was going to rent me
    > an apartment (Also, up till the time my cousin was in Canada, I tried operating my
    > business through my cousin's apartment in Montreal).
    >
    > With my cousin moving out of the country and with no established credit in Canada,
    > I could not rent an aprtment. My business was not doing very well either. As a
    > result, I could not even rely on my business "success" to establish my credit and
    > to get an apartment.
    >
    > Fortunately, my cousin finally agreed to co-sign a new apartment contract under my
    > name so I could at least rent an apartment under my name. In other words, I finally
    > got my own address in Montreal, QC.
    >
    > Ten months have passed since that happened.
    >
    >
    >
    > QUESTIONS:
    >
    >
    > This brings us to my question. I would like to apply for Canadian citizenship now.
    > The question is what addresses to use for my application considering I lived most
    > of the time in Quebec (including going to school in Quebec three summers) even
    > though I still used my Nova Scotia address as my address and although I did not get
    > my Quebec medical and driver's liscience and apartment until ten months ago (in
    > terms of my apartment, basically due to not having credit to do so until my cousin
    > agreed to help me--as I explained fully above).
    >
    > What should I do? What address should I use on my citizenship application? Is the
    > fact that I did not get my Quebec medical insurance card and driver's liscence till
    > ten months ago going to be against me if I put down my present address in Montreal?
    > On the other hand, since I spent most of the time in Quebec, putting down Nova
    > Scotia's address on my citizenship application is not going to be accurate.
    >
    > What is to be done? Please let me know.
    >
    > I thank everyone again. Have a great day. JGR

Old Feb 15th 2002, 6:45 am
Jeandelize B Go

Default Re: Attorney A. Miller & Other Experts (Citizenship Question)

Jeandelize B Gonzalez-Rivera ([email protected]) wrote:

[email protected] Subject: Re: Attorney A. Miller & Other Experts
(Citizenship Question) Newsgroups: misc.immigration.canada X-Newsreader: TIN [UNIX
1.3 950824BETA PL0]

Hello Mr. Miller. Thank you for your response, and thank you for not judging me. No,
not at all. I am not offended. I thank you for telling me what to expect.

Yes, you are right. I am in Massachusetts at this point. I have been here for the
past few months doing research (having to do with my business in Montreal).

I followed your advice a few months ago, and after talking to immigration authorities
on St. Alexandre (i.e., Montreal), I decided to do this for a while (within what
residency regulations allow) to generate funds. By the way, they told me the same
thing. Namely, as long as I am in Canada six months I am ok. My job in Mass. is only
half of the week (each week) and half of the year. As a result, I do go back and
forth very often and am in Canada half of the year anyway.

Because of lack of credit in Canada, getting a loan for my business was difficult.
As a result, I decided to do what I am doing now. To survive, I had to do either
this or to collect welfare (I have more dignity than that to collect welfare). At
any rate, it is only for a few months out of the year.

In addition, the Canadian economy will benefit from this twice. Once, because I will
be paying taxes, and secondly becuase what I earn will help me boost my business in
Montreal (in turn benefitting the economy in Canada)

In terms of the other things you mentioned, I agree, I should have made up my mind
and stayed in one place. That way, perhaps my cousin would have agreed to put my name
on the lease, the utilities, etc (although, they did not want to commit themselves to
me financially, in any way, unless they had to--personal reasons).

I have received letters addressed to me at those addresses, my bank account, my
business, etc. not to mention my university transcripts in Quebec which speak for
themselves. Taking into account what you said, however, I realize the above may not
be enough. The important thing is that I love Canada and know that my intensions are
noble and that in the end things will work out.

Anyway, Mr. Andrew, I thank you for taking the time to respond. You have always
responded and I appreciate that. I only decided to respond because you have always
helped and I thought I owed it to you. Wishing you a happy day, JGR

In article <[email protected]> you wrote:
    : Hello Experts. Hope everyone is having a good day. I thank you all in advance for
    : your expert comments.
    :
    : Question:
    :
    : In 1997, after landing in British Columbia I moved to Nova Scotia and got my
    : medical card, driver's liscience, etc. I also regsitered a business there hoping to
    : grow and prosper there.
    :
    : However, prosperity did not come. As a result, I went to Montreal, Quebec to live
    : with my cousins. I also regsitered the same business in Quebec and started
    : working on it. I still kept my mailing address in Nova Scotia, but although I
    : kept moving between Nova Scotia and Quebec, I spent most of the time in Montreal
    : Quebec. Nevertheless, since I did not have any established credit in Canada, I
    : lived with my cousins without having an apartment contract in my name. This was
    : also true about my address in Nova Scotia. In other words, even though I had a
    : mailing address in Nova Scotia I did not have an apartment contract in my name
    : there either.
    :
    : Anyway, I spent almost all of my time in Quebec without getting Quebec's medical
    : card or the driver's liscence there (There was no need for those. I am pretty
    : healthy and public transportation is great in Montreal. So there was no need for
    : any of those).
    :
    : Last year, however, my cousin in Montreal had to leave Canada. It was a difficlut
    : situation for me. Without established credit in Canada, nobody was going to rent me
    : an apartment (Also, up till the time my cousin was in Canada, I tried operating my
    : business through my cousin's apartment in Montreal).
    :
    : With my cousin moving out of the country and with no established credit in Canada,
    : I could not rent an aprtment. My business was not doing very well either. As a
    : result, I could not even rely on my business "success" to establish my credit and
    : to get an apartment.
    :
    : Fortunately, my cousin finally agreed to co-sign a new apartment contract under my
    : name so I could at least rent an apartment under my name. In other words, I finally
    : got my own address in Montreal, QC.
    :
    : Ten months have passed since that happened.
    :
    :
    :
    : QUESTIONS:
    :
    :
    : This brings us to my question. I would like to apply for Canadian citizenship now.
    : The question is what addresses to use for my application considering I lived most
    : of the time in Quebec (including going to school in Quebec three summers) even
    : though I still used my Nova Scotia address as my address and although I did not get
    : my Quebec medical and driver's liscience and apartment until ten months ago (in
    : terms of my apartment, basically due to not having credit to do so until my cousin
    : agreed to help me--as I explained fully above).
    :
    : What should I do? What address should I use on my citizenship application? Is the
    : fact that I did not get my Quebec medical insurance card and driver's liscence till
    : ten months ago going to be against me if I put down my present address in Montreal?
    : On the other hand, since I spent most of the time in Quebec, putting down Nova
    : Scotia's address on my citizenship application is not going to be accurate.
    :
    : What is to be done? Please let me know.
    :
    : I thank everyone again. Have a great day. JGR

: Hello Experts. Hope everyone is having a good day. I thank you all in advance for
    : your expert comments.
    :
    : Question:
    :
    : In 1997, after landing in British Columbia I moved to Nova Scotia and got my
    : medical card, driver's liscience, etc. I also regsitered a business there hoping to
    : grow and prosper there.
    :
    : However, prosperity did not come. As a result, I went to Montreal, Quebec to live
    : with my cousins. I also regsitered the same business in Quebec and started
    : working on it. I still kept my mailing address in Nova Scotia, but although I
    : kept moving between Nova Scotia and Quebec, I spent most of the time in Montreal
    : Quebec. Nevertheless, since I did not have any established credit in Canada, I
    : lived with my cousins without having an apartment contract in my name. This was
    : also true about my address in Nova Scotia. In other words, even though I had a
    : mailing address in Nova Scotia I did not have an apartment contract in my name
    : there either.
    :
    : Anyway, I spent almost all of my time in Quebec without getting Quebec's medical
    : card or the driver's liscence there (There was no need for those. I am pretty
    : healthy and public transportation is great in Montreal. So there was no need for
    : any of those).
    :
    : Last year, however, my cousin in Montreal had to leave Canada. It was a difficlut
    : situation for me. Without established credit in Canada, nobody was going to rent me
    : an apartment (Also, up till the time my cousin was in Canada, I tried operating my
    : business through my cousin's apartment in Montreal).
    :
    : With my cousin moving out of the country and with no established credit in Canada,
    : I could not rent an aprtment. My business was not doing very well either. As a
    : result, I could not even rely on my business "success" to establish my credit and
    : to get an apartment.
    :
    : Fortunately, my cousin finally agreed to co-sign a new apartment contract under my
    : name so I could at least rent an apartment under my name. In other words, I finally
    : got my own address in Montreal, QC.
    :
    : Ten months have passed since that happened.
    :
    :
    :
    : QUESTIONS:
    :
    :
    : This brings us to my question. I would like to apply for Canadian citizenship now.
    : The question is what addresses to use for my application considering I lived most
    : of the time in Quebec (including going to school in Quebec three summers) even
    : though I still used my Nova Scotia address as my address and although I did not get
    : my Quebec medical and driver's liscience and apartment until ten months ago (in
    : terms of my apartment, basically due to not having credit to do so until my cousin
    : agreed to help me--as I explained fully above).
    :
    : What should I do? What address should I use on my citizenship application? Is the
    : fact that I did not get my Quebec medical insurance card and driver's liscence till
    : ten months ago going to be against me if I put down my present address in Montreal?
    : On the other hand, since I spent most of the time in Quebec, putting down Nova
    : Scotia's address on my citizenship application is not going to be accurate.
    :
    : What is to be done? Please let me know.
    :
    : I thank everyone again. Have a great day. JGR