Wikiposts

Attn: Mr. Andrew Miller

Old Aug 15th 2008, 3:13 pm
Just Joined

vrmohan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Attn: Mr. Andrew Miller

Hi,
I am software programmer/Designer with 12 years of experience, I have Bachelors Degree in Mechanical Engineering from India.

Do I qualify to apply as Telecommunications Software Designer (NOC 9990.7). ?
The job that was offered to me falls under this category and it dosn't require HRDC approval.
(This scheme of LMO exemption) http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/special-tech.asp

But I see that the below education requirements are needed for this Job.

7. Telecommunications Software Designer (NOC 9990.7)
Minimum Requirements
Education: Bachelor’s degree or a two-year post-secondary diploma or certification with a computing element.

My Question is
Do I need to have Bachelors degree in computer science or any bachelors degree is fine ? I only have one subject related to computer programming in my 4 year degree course and few subjects related to mathematics and Electronics.

I have experience as Telecom software designer for more than 6 years.

I also have Diploma in computer applications which is a 6 month certification course from a private training institute,But its not from University or college.

Do I qualify to apply under Facilitated Processing for IT Workers ?

Your help is greatly apprecited.

Last edited by vrmohan; Aug 15th 2008 at 3:15 pm.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 9:20 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Attn: Mr. Andrew Miller

No, your education doesn't meet the required minimum.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 11:59 pm
Just Joined

Dear Andrew,
It says that Minimum Education Requirement is
Education: Bachelor’s degree or a two-year post-secondary diploma or certification with a computing element.

I have bachelors degree and I also have also have Diploma in computer applications which is a 6 month certification course from a private training institute.
I have worked in USA for 8 years.

I see there is Or between Bachelor’s degree and the others. So they are not specifying that it should be computers degree right ?
Does the computing element applies to all of the OR's ?

Thanks for your quick reply.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 1:33 am

You don't have a computing element in your mechanical engineer program - what you had was just 1 subject related to computers - it is not computing element. Application course or any other industry certification is not an educational credential.

But why won't you try to apply anyway? It will only cost you $150 to find out if you are lucky or not.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 2:47 am
Just Joined

thank you for your reply, So the computing element is attached to all the words between OR's

Bachelor’s degree or a two-year post-secondary diploma or certification with a computing element. .

I did applied for this work permit but they send me refusal saying that my education background dosnt match with requirement. I got work permit with the same education earlier and also got the work permit renewal last year, And this year when i applied for renewal they were saying my education dosn't match. I am confused how come they gave 2 times earlier. Can I reapply ?
Old Aug 16th 2008, 8:42 am
Forum Regular

cooldude is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

Can some body throw light or send some link which talks more about " computing element " for software professional bachelor degree's requirement.

Is Electronic engineer with 10 years of IT experience, can he be qualified for software professional's education requirements.

Any help would be great.

regards
CD
Old Aug 16th 2008, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by vrmohan
thank you for your reply, So the computing element is attached to all the words between OR's

Bachelor’s degree or a two-year post-secondary diploma or certification with a computing element. .

I did applied for this work permit but they send me refusal saying that my education background dosnt match with requirement. I got work permit with the same education earlier and also got the work permit renewal last year, And this year when i applied for renewal they were saying my education dosn't match. I am confused how come they gave 2 times earlier. Can I reapply ?
Yes, it applies to all parts of the phrase.

And it is not only your education but also the job itself what must meet requirements.

How did you apply earlier for work permit? Same job? From India? or was it a post-grad permit or any other open permit?
Old Aug 16th 2008, 3:40 pm
Just Joined

Hi,
The job that was offered to me meets the requirements . And the designation in the offer letter is Telecommunications Software Designer .
First time I applied for my work permit from los angeles as I was working in USA on H1 visa at that time.
2nd time I renewed my work visa inland(I applied to Vegriville and they trnsferred it to Local office which was issued by local office)
3rd time I applied for renewal and they sent me refusal letter saying my degree dosnt match for this Job .
All the 3 times its same job and only my salary is increased in each offer letter.

What exactly is the computing element ?
In India more than 50% of the people who work as software programmer/Designer will not have Bachelors degree in Computer science. Most of them will have other bachelor degree either in Electronics/Mechanical etc.

How come they gave me first 2 times and refusing 3rd time ?

Can I reapply or appeal against the decision in Federal ? Please give me a suggestion.
Thank you for your quick response.

Even in HRDC website It says "A bachelor's degree in computer science or in another discipline with a significant programming component or Completion of a college program in computer science is usually required." for Software Designer Job.

Its not mandatory.

http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC-CNP/app/...searchkey=2174
Old Aug 16th 2008, 4:04 pm

It is irrelevant what is common practice in India - we are dealing with Canadian law in Canada.

(1) Something must either changed between your permits or (2) the first and second time permits were issued wrongly or (3) CIC made mistake with third application.

Without knowing all details and seeing the evidence it will be impossible to tell you more.

Especially when in your first post you "forgot" to disclose that you already had 2 permits for the same job. It makes me uneasy trying to help when not knowing what else you may have "forgotten".
Old Aug 16th 2008, 4:28 pm
Just Joined

I am sorry, Its not my intention to hide the facts that I had 2 workpermits earlier for the same Job.
I know I cannot ask lot of questions in this forum for free.

In my first post All I want to know is whether I qualify to apply for workpermit with a Bachelors Degree that is not a Computers Science Degree or not.

Do you provide paid consulation thru Email?
Old Aug 16th 2008, 5:31 pm

You can ask as many questions you want - if answering some them would exceed what responder deems as free advice s/he would simply not answer.

But what you never should do is to ask the question out of context, without disclosing all relevant facts - by asking the way you did you demonstrate (1) that you want to do the fishing for full answer to real question yourself, (2) that you don't understand the advice process and (3) that you don't understand that incomplete question will never get a complete and circumstances specific answer.

Also you need to understand that once you are refused then trying to "outsmart" system and others is not a good idea and that you may need professional help. You made a mistake (or CIC did) - but you don't have any expertise yourself to solve the complex now problem, no matter how many free questions you'll ask. Especially with the way you ask questions and omit relevant information.

Anyone who may want to provide you with professional help now would need to know absolutely everything about your case, all facts and circumstances, regardless how irrelevant in your opinion they may be.

Most of my advice is provided by mail and phone, I rarely meet clients in person.