Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

attn: A Miller - Entering Canada before getting my P.R.

Wikiposts

attn: A Miller - Entering Canada before getting my P.R.

Old Jun 18th 2006, 12:48 am
TFI
Forum Regular

TFI is just really niceTFI is just really niceTFI is just really niceTFI is just really niceTFI is just really niceTFI is just really niceTFI is just really niceTFI is just really niceTFI is just really niceTFI is just really niceTFI is just really nice
Question attn: A Miller - Entering Canada before getting my P.R.

Andrew, thank you for your response to my last question about entering Canada before getting my P.R.

In the event that I have not received my PR Visa by mid September, I will be telling the officials at my port of entry that I am entering Canada to stay with my wife until my PR comes through.

Since I would be only admitted to Canada as a visitor, will I be required to hold a return ticket, or provide proof of funds? Is there anything I should be aware of before entering Canada with my spousal app file number?
Old Jun 18th 2006, 3:19 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: attn: A Miller - Entering Canada before getting my P.R.

Yes, usually this is what is required from visitor and it will be up to the discretion of examining officer at the port of entry to possibly wave such requirement. Return tickets are not much more expensive (and often are cheaper) than one way tickets anyway.

Originally Posted by TFI
Andrew, thank you for your response to my last question about entering Canada before getting my P.R.

In the event that I have not received my PR Visa by mid September, I will be telling the officials at my port of entry that I am entering Canada to stay with my wife until my PR comes through.

Since I would be only admitted to Canada as a visitor, will I be required to hold a return ticket, or provide proof of funds? Is there anything I should be aware of before entering Canada with my spousal app file number?
Old Jun 18th 2006, 11:00 am
TFI
Forum Regular

TFI is just really niceTFI is just really niceTFI is just really niceTFI is just really niceTFI is just really niceTFI is just really niceTFI is just really niceTFI is just really niceTFI is just really niceTFI is just really niceTFI is just really nice
Question Re: attn: A Miller - Entering Canada before getting my P.R.

I’m sorry for all the questions, but I just want to be sure that, some “little Hitler” does not decide to let my family enter and ship me on the next flight back to wait for my processing to finish. We would be happy to wait however the timing of our move is important as financially we can just about manage shipping, moving, renting a place for when we get there etc... and if we don’t go on our planned date it will set us back a lot of time & money.

So if I turn up at the airport, with my wife and 2 step kids (all Canadian), show them my British passport, my “in process” letter from CHC London, a return ticket for say 3 or 4 months down the line & had $2000 - $3000 Canadian in my pocket, am I going to be ok to enter?
Old Jun 18th 2006, 5:16 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: attn: A Miller - Entering Canada before getting my P.R.

You will likely have absolutely no problem, although nobody can guarantee it when seeking admission as visitor. If for some strange reason you'll get admitted for short period (weeks instead of 6 months) the you will simply apply for extension of stay before your admission expires.

Originally Posted by TFI
I’m sorry for all the questions, but I just want to be sure that, some “little Hitler” does not decide to let my family enter and ship me on the next flight back to wait for my processing to finish. We would be happy to wait however the timing of our move is important as financially we can just about manage shipping, moving, renting a place for when we get there etc... and if we don’t go on our planned date it will set us back a lot of time & money.

So if I turn up at the airport, with my wife and 2 step kids (all Canadian), show them my British passport, my “in process” letter from CHC London, a return ticket for say 3 or 4 months down the line & had $2000 - $3000 Canadian in my pocket, am I going to be ok to enter?