Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

attn: Andrew Miller or whoever else can help me (vistor visa question)

attn: Andrew Miller or whoever else can help me (vistor visa question)

Old Nov 18th 2006, 7:41 pm
Just Joined

angelicque is an unknown quantity at this point
Default attn: Andrew Miller or whoever else can help me (vistor visa question)

hello, i have a question...

i have a canadian visitor visa that expires on january 1st, 2007. i am leaving the country on dec. 22nd to visit the states until the 2nd of january. since i am leaving canada, does that mean i am granted my free 6 months again? do i need to renew my visa still?

also, i just recently applied for permanent residence (sponsorship, my husband is canadian, we're living in toronto) in september...do i still have to renew my visitor visa if i sent in my application? i haven't head any word from vegreville yet, i doubt i will until april :/

thank you for your time!!!
Old Nov 19th 2006, 3:06 am
Forum Regular

melur is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: attn: Andrew Miller or whoever else can help me (vistor visa question)

Originally Posted by angelicque
hello, i have a question...

i have a canadian visitor visa that expires on january 1st, 2007. i am leaving the country on dec. 22nd to visit the states until the 2nd of january. since i am leaving canada, does that mean i am granted my free 6 months again? do i need to renew my visa still?

also, i just recently applied for permanent residence (sponsorship, my husband is canadian, we're living in toronto) in september...do i still have to renew my visitor visa if i sent in my application? i haven't head any word from vegreville yet, i doubt i will until april :/

thank you for your time!!!
I have the same situation one..
I go to US when i still in tourist Visa that will be expired in 1 month.
so we sent the application for the extension visa before we leaving for US.
when I get back from US, i got another cop with no date or whatever..
So it wise to apply for the extension visa.
Old Nov 19th 2006, 3:43 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: attn: Andrew Miller or whoever else can help me (vistor visa question)

There is no such thing as "extension visa".

You both are also confusing 2 different things - visitor visa (TRV) and admission to Canada.

Visa is only the sticker in passport giving you permission to come before it's expiration to Canadian port of entry and to ask for admission.

Admission is granted at the port of entry and period of such admission is decided by examining officer.

Admission is not a visa - it is only permission to enter and remain in Canada for the granted period. If person leaves Canada then (1) valid visa is needed to come and ask for new admission and (2) new admission needs to be granted to enter and remain in Canada.

Exceptions from the (1) above are if person is a national of country on Canadian visa waiver list or if person is returning to Canada from short visit to U.S. or St. Pierre and Miquelon within the authorized period of stay granted upon initial entry into Canada.

When returning within the validity of originally granted admission to Canada from visit to U.S. or St. Pierre and Miquelon then no new admission will be granted and person will only be re-admitted for the remaining duration of original admission (that was granted upon initial entry to Canada), even if TRV sticker in passport is already expired or if person is from visa waiver country.

If person is returning to Canada from U.S. or St. Pierre and Miquelon after original admission has already expired then such person needs a new valid visa sticker or be from visa waiver country and needs to ask for new admission.

So, applying for extension of stay before going to US will not help with anything as such extension of stay (if granted) is not the original admission that was granted upon initial entry to Canada and extension of stay expires automatically when person leaves Canada.

Also leaving Canada when the inland sponsorship case is processed in Vegreville is not a good idea - if for any reason person is refused re-entry to Canada then pending inland PR process is deemed abandoned and file is closed.

Originally Posted by melur
I have the same situation one..
I go to US when i still in tourist Visa that will be expired in 1 month.
so we sent the application for the extension visa before we leaving for US.
when I get back from US, i got another cop with no date or whatever..
So it wise to apply for the extension visa.
Old Nov 19th 2006, 6:26 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
There is no such thing as "extension visa".

You both are also confusing 2 different things - visitor visa (TRV) and admission to Canada.

Visa is only the sticker in passport giving you permission to come before it's expiration to Canadian port of entry and to ask for admission.

Admission is granted at the port of entry and period of such admission is decided by examining officer.

Admission is not a visa - it is only permission to enter and remain in Canada for the granted period. If person leaves Canada then (1) valid visa is needed to come and ask for new admission and (2) new admission needs to be granted to enter and remain in Canada.

Exceptions from the (1) above are if person is a national of country on Canadian visa waiver list or if person is returning to Canada from short visit to U.S. or St. Pierre and Miquelon within the authorized period of stay granted upon initial entry into Canada.

When returning within the validity of originally granted admission to Canada from visit to U.S. or St. Pierre and Miquelon then no new admission will be granted and person will only be re-admitted for the remaining duration of original admission (that was granted upon initial entry to Canada), even if TRV sticker in passport is already expired or if person is from visa waiver country.

If person is returning to Canada from U.S. or St. Pierre and Miquelon after original admission has already expired then such person needs a new valid visa sticker or be from visa waiver country and needs to ask for new admission.

So, applying for extension of stay before going to US will not help with anything as such extension of stay (if granted) is not the original admission that was granted upon initial entry to Canada and extension of stay expires automatically when person leaves Canada.

Also leaving Canada when the inland sponsorship case is processed in Vegreville is not a good idea - if for any reason person is refused re-entry to Canada then pending inland PR process is deemed abandoned and file is closed.

i don't know what the other person was asking, what *I* was asking is if it was a good idea to renew my visitor visa (the $75 extension to stay in canada) now, even though i am leaving for america until the 2nd of january, which would conflict with the renewal, which would be for the 1st of january.
i don't want to waste 75 dollars if i don't have to, you know?

and as far as my spousal PR application, it is inland, but it was sent in september, and i haven't heard anything from vegreville, and according to the site, won't hear anything from them for quite some time...so i imagine my package is sitting in a warehouse somewhere unnoticed and undocumented...and i don't want to throw away the 500 dollars i spent on tickets to see my family (whom i haven't seen in a year) over the fear of being refused at the border, which there is no reason for me to be, you know?
the governement has taken enough from me, i can't let them take away christmas with my family too
Old Nov 19th 2006, 7:00 am
Forum Regular

melur is an unknown quantity at this point

i don't know what the other person was asking, what *I* was asking is if it was a good idea to renew my visitor visa (the $75 extension to stay in canada) now, even though i am leaving for america until the 2nd of january, which would conflict with the renewal, which would be for the 1st of january.

and as far as my spousal PR application, it is inland, but it was sent in september, and i haven't heard anything from vegreville, and according to the site, won't hear anything from them for quite some time...so i imagine my package is sitting in a warehouse somewhere unnoticed and undocumented...and i don't want to throw away the 500 dollars i spent on tickets to see my family (whom i haven't seen in a year) over the fear of being refused at the border, which there is no reason for me to be, you know?
the governement has taken enough from me, i can't let them take away christmas with my family too
sorry mess up with the name..
but yes before i leaving to US last time for 10 days which that time my visitor visa will expired in 1 month, i sent my application 'to change conditions, extend my stay or remain in canada' (the form name) which i applying for extension of temporary resident status as visitor. So i advice u to sent the form before leaving for US.

And yes, i dont know if u can or cannot enter canada after return from US, but i have no problem at all at the border as i'm travelling with my fiance (they not even ask me any question, but they do ask my fiance some questions)... And yes, i get new chop in my passport.

Last edited by melur; Nov 19th 2006 at 7:03 am.
Old Nov 19th 2006, 7:05 am

Again - there is no such thing as "renewal of visitor visa", period. You can apply for extension of stay and/or change of conditions in Canada, but such extension does not authorize for re-entry. Once you leave Canada extension of stay is gone.

What is your nationality?

What is the length of admission granted when you originally came to Canada?

Old Nov 19th 2006, 7:10 am

Read my reply to angelicque above. Extension of stay is gone once you leave Canada.

Fact that you travel with your fiancee means absolutely nothing - your admissibility and admission will be determined solely on your own merits. You may have got lucky so far, but it doesn't mean that you will get lucky all the time.

Same questions as above:

1. What is your nationality?

2. What is the length of admission granted when you originally came to Canada? (date written next to your admission stamp)?

Originally Posted by melur
sorry mess up with the name..
but yes before i leaving to US last time for 10 days which that time my visitor visa will expired in 1 month, i sent my application 'to change conditions, extend my stay or remain in canada' (the form name) which i applying for extension of temporary resident status as visitor. So i advice u to sent the form before leaving for US.

And yes, i dont know if u can or cannot enter canada after return from US, but i have no problem at all at the border as i'm travelling with my fiance (they not even ask me any question, but they do ask my fiance some questions)... And yes, i get new chop in my passport.
Old Nov 19th 2006, 8:55 am
Just Joined

Again - there is no such thing as "renewal of visitor visa", period. You can apply for extension of stay and/or change of conditions in Canada, but such extension does not authorize for re-entry. Once you leave Canada extension of stay is gone.

What is your nationality?

What is the length of admission granted when you originally came to Canada?
what i meant by renewal is this, i have been in canada with my husband since january of 2005, since then i have applied for 3 visitor visas, which cost 75 bucks each, and each one granted me permission to stay in canada for 6 months.
my current visa is good until january 1st, 2007. i have been told that because i am leaving canada for the US in december, and won't be back until the 2nd of january, it would be useless for me to apply for another extension. however, i do not want problems at the border, so i am going to apply for another one, and just ask for permission to stay from the 3rd of january of 2007, to the 3rd of june of 2007.

as for my spousal PR, i am being told i shouldn't leave the country for the risk of not being allowed re-entry to canada, but i am also being told that as long as i have no reason to be denied, i should be fine at the border. i have all three of the visitor visas i was issued, and i will have the reciept of the fourth i am going to purchase on me (since i doubt i will get the document before i leave), as well as my original birth certificate, american ID (i do not have a passport, i used my ID and birth certificate to get in and out of the country when i first came here, and also in november of 2005 to see my family for thanksgiving, and had no problems whatsoever), and my husband and i's orginal marriage certificate proving i have a reason to be in canada, and sufficient funds of support to be in canada, since my husband is working and is supporting me. i have never been arrested or done anything else that could cause me to be denied. my english is good, i am american (born and raised in new england), i am white (i hate that that makes a difference, but somtimes it does) and i have been current on all my visas and payments.
i have not recieved confirmation from vegreville that my application has been recieved. my husband and i expedited the package, and it was never scanned in, so i don't even know if they have recieved it yet or not.

i just want to see my family for the holidays, i don't get to see them often, and i also don't want to be out the 500 dollars i spent to see them. i am aware there is a risk of me being denied entry back into canada when i return, but i honestly see no reason that i would be. the CIC site is saying that because i have applied for spousal PR inland, that THAT ALONE would be a reason i would be denied into the country. but i have ALSO read that that is a myth (based on talking to CIC representitives and border officers) and people in my same situation have traveled to the US while their application was in process, and had no problems. i was told as long as i had no reason to be denied, and all my immigration documents and visas are valid, that i'd have no problem.
i mean, what if my mother was dying? there's nothing that could keep me from being with her, i CAN NOT believe that i would be denied being with the man i love just because i went to see my family in an emergency. i CAN NOT understand why the government would be that cruel to me, when i have done nothing to ever make them believe i am a threat to their country. depsite my husband and i being extremely poor due to only him being able to work, i have NEVER tried to earn money to help us so i'd be abiding by the law, whereas i know plenty of immigrants that wave the law regarding this. i just can't accept that i'd be denied entry just based on the fact that i have a PR application (possibly) in process.
Old Nov 19th 2006, 9:15 am

Again - you didn't get visas issued in Canada. What you applied for and received were extensions of stay, not visas. Extension of stay is not a visa and doesn't authorize re-entry.

And it is not about being a threat - it is all about the law. A Canadian citizen who is married or engaged to American will have much bigger problems trying to enter US than you ever had or may have entering Canada, so please don't complain.

American nationals who have pending inland sponsorship cases in Vegreville usually have no problems when trying to re-enter Canada. But not all of them - if you browse through posts here in past 12 or so months you will find quite few reports from Americans in your situation who were denied re-entry.

And yes - mere fact of having PR application pending is a reason good enough to deny admission, although Canadian officers at the border exercise huge flexibility and try to be helpful. But they may stick to the law if they want.

Get yourself a passport - without passport you will not be granted PR status in Canada.

what i meant by renewal is this, i have been in canada with my husband since january of 2005, since then i have applied for 3 visitor visas, which cost 75 bucks each, and each one granted me permission to stay in canada for 6 months.
my current visa is good until january 1st, 2007. i have been told that because i am leaving canada for the US in december, and won't be back until the 2nd of january, it would be useless for me to apply for another extension. however, i do not want problems at the border, so i am going to apply for another one, and just ask for permission to stay from the 3rd of january of 2007, to the 3rd of june of 2007.

as for my spousal PR, i am being told i shouldn't leave the country for the risk of not being allowed re-entry to canada, but i am also being told that as long as i have no reason to be denied, i should be fine at the border. i have all three of the visitor visas i was issued, and i will have the reciept of the fourth i am going to purchase on me (since i doubt i will get the document before i leave), as well as my original birth certificate, american ID (i do not have a passport, i used my ID and birth certificate to get in and out of the country when i first came here, and also in november of 2005 to see my family for thanksgiving, and had no problems whatsoever), and my husband and i's orginal marriage certificate proving i have a reason to be in canada, and sufficient funds of support to be in canada, since my husband is working and is supporting me. i have never been arrested or done anything else that could cause me to be denied. my english is good, i am american (born and raised in new england), i am white (i hate that that makes a difference, but somtimes it does) and i have been current on all my visas and payments.
i have not recieved confirmation from vegreville that my application has been recieved. my husband and i expedited the package, and it was never scanned in, so i don't even know if they have recieved it yet or not.

i just want to see my family for the holidays, i don't get to see them often, and i also don't want to be out the 500 dollars i spent to see them. i am aware there is a risk of me being denied entry back into canada when i return, but i honestly see no reason that i would be. the CIC site is saying that because i have applied for spousal PR inland, that THAT ALONE would be a reason i would be denied into the country. but i have ALSO read that that is a myth (based on talking to CIC representitives and border officers) and people in my same situation have traveled to the US while their application was in process, and had no problems. i was told as long as i had no reason to be denied, and all my immigration documents and visas are valid, that i'd have no problem.
i mean, what if my mother was dying? there's nothing that could keep me from being with her, i CAN NOT believe that i would be denied being with the man i love just because i went to see my family in an emergency. i CAN NOT understand why the government would be that cruel to me, when i have done nothing to ever make them believe i am a threat to their country. depsite my husband and i being extremely poor due to only him being able to work, i have NEVER tried to earn money to help us so i'd be abiding by the law, whereas i know plenty of immigrants that wave the law regarding this. i just can't accept that i'd be denied entry just based on the fact that i have a PR application (possibly) in process.
Old Nov 19th 2006, 12:48 pm
Just Joined

Again - you didn't get visas issued in Canada. What you applied for and received were extensions of stay, not visas. Extension of stay is not a visa and doesn't authorize re-entry.

And it is not about being a threat - it is all about the law. A Canadian citizen who is married or engaged to American will have much bigger problems trying to enter US than you ever had or may have entering Canada, so please don't complain.

American nationals who have pending inland sponsorship cases in Vegreville usually have no problems when trying to re-enter Canada. But not all of them - if you browse through posts here in past 12 or so months you will find quite few reports from Americans in your situation who were denied re-entry.

And yes - mere fact of having PR application pending is a reason good enough to deny admission, although Canadian officers at the border exercise huge flexibility and try to be helpful. But they may stick to the law if they want.

Get yourself a passport - without passport you will not be granted PR status in Canada.

thank you so much for your advice and time...i am going to look into these cases and find out why they were denied!!!

thank you, again