Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

For the attention of Mr Andrew Miller

Wikiposts

For the attention of Mr Andrew Miller

Old Jan 13th 2008, 3:28 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Traveling with children

Originally Posted by JAJ
There is some discussion of this if you care to look up CIC policy manuals. They cannot refuse entry to Canada to a Canadian citizen or permanent resident. They can contact law enforcement if they believe a crime has been committed.
The procedures are there to prevent children being taken out of the country illegally. It's more likely to be an issue leaving the country rather than coming back.
Old Jan 13th 2008, 3:37 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
The procedures are there to prevent children being taken out of the country illegally. It's more likely to be an issue leaving the country rather than coming back.
It would still be interesting to know what the precise law is and what authority it gives to whom. In the United Kingdom it's the Child Abduction Act 1984 which can be viewed at http://www.statutelaw.gov.uk

Or is this all a state secret in Canada?
Old Jan 13th 2008, 3:49 pm
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

We have had more problem coming back than going out, surprisingly enough.
Old Jan 13th 2008, 4:05 pm
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Traveling with children

For adults traveling with minor children.
From Canada Border Services
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...-eng.html#P003

Whether it is law, procedure or whatever it is, traveling with documentation that satisfies the border services officer may save lengthy delays and waiting for the local police to arrive and discuss the situation.

Whatever debate goes on as to the rights or wrongs of this, it happens at the Canadian and US borders. Having the right documentation seems to make far more practical sense than debating the point with border services as to what they can and cannot do.

Last edited by Surrey Expat; Jan 13th 2008 at 4:09 pm.
Old Jan 13th 2008, 4:07 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Surrey Expat
Which contains no reference to the actual law.
Old Jan 13th 2008, 4:11 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by JAJ
Who really cares. They do it and we deal with it. If you want to debate the law I suggest you take it up with Canadian Border Services.
Old Jan 13th 2008, 4:22 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by Surrey Expat
Who really cares. They do it and we deal with it. If you want to debate the law I suggest you take it up with Canadian Border Services.
I'm not Canadian so it's not really my problem what Canada chooses to do. But it should be a concern for anyone if/when government starts acting on an extra-legal basis.
Old Jan 13th 2008, 7:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think it's common to just Canada. It's common in any country where children have been taken across borders - KIDNAPPED - without proper checks.
It isn't common in any country. It should be. But unfortunately to a lot of mixed race children or children from immigrants of countries where extreme genital circumcision is standard practice, single parents with children are allowed to travel.

I think single parents with children should not be allowed to leave a country without consent from other parent (if other parent is alive).

Nor do I think airlines should allow minors to travel to war zone countries without parental consent. Yup, that has happened too.

So, canada and US asking for documentation is good. More countries should do just that.

To the OP. Multiple posts and threads on this subject has been posted in the past. The site has an excellent search function. It's well worth using it.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 12:47 am
BE Enthusiast

sas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YYZlover
It isn't common in any country. It should be. But unfortunately to a lot of mixed race children or children from immigrants of countries where extreme genital circumcision is standard practice, single parents with children are allowed to travel.

I think single parents with children should not be allowed to leave a country without consent from other parent (if other parent is alive).

Nor do I think airlines should allow minors to travel to war zone countries without parental consent. Yup, that has happened too.

So, canada and US asking for documentation is good. More countries should do just that.

To the OP. Multiple posts and threads on this subject has been posted in the past. The site has an excellent search function. It's well worth using it.
Why should i not be able to leave a country with my children when i havent seen the bio father in 4-5 yrs, has made no contact to see the children, nor paid towards their upkeep.
I want a better life for my children and as he obviously doesnt give a damn about their welfare (otherwise would of shown an interest) why then persecute me.
Anyway, i know this is a touchy subject, and thanks for all of your replies.
Im just going to email immigration Canada if i can and get some advice.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 1:49 am
Pictou County Superstar™

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

CBS is an enforcement agency. As said before they (and the border services of other countries) want to ensure that there is authorization for the child to be removed from the country of primary residence.

The authorization (or lack of) will stem from the "actual law". For example an enforceable custody order may indicate that the child can not be removed from a specific location or country - if a parent ignores this and travels with the child, they are committing a criminal offence in the originating jurisdiction. The "actual law" is also represented by international laws (such as HC and UCCJEA).

Originally Posted by JAJ
Old Jan 14th 2008, 2:49 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sas-lou
Why should i not be able to leave a country with my children when i havent seen the bio father in 4-5 yrs, has made no contact to see the children, nor paid towards their upkeep.
I want a better life for my children and as he obviously doesnt give a damn about their welfare (otherwise would of shown an interest) why then persecute me.
Anyway, i know this is a touchy subject, and thanks for all of your replies.
Im just going to email immigration Canada if i can and get some advice.
We all are with you and believe your side of the story. But CIC and CBSA want proof, they can't take your word.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 4:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Linda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: For the attention of Mr Andrew Miller

I was told (at passport control) that I did not need to have a legal document. I made a point of checking if it needed to be notarized and was told 'no'. All he said I needed was a letter giving permission with dates that matched my travel details, a contact telephone number (landline) and a cell phone could be useful. He did mentioned that this was not a legal requirement, although at the time we were in the middle of obtaining our permanent residency and certainly would not have caused any trouble.

I do feel a little miffed that I need permission to take my children on holiday, but I also feel it is a minor detail if it is used correctly to help stop kidnappings, unfortunately it is probably not strict enough for that!

Linda
Old Jan 14th 2008, 5:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

I was asked once when re-entering Canada (not exiting, nor arriving in UK, nor departing from UK), said no, and was told it was "recommended". I've never travelled with one and I won't until it's required.

If I was abducting a child the first thing I'd do is make up a Mickey Mouse letter with a fake "father's phone number" and willing friend to answer the call. What do these letters really prevent? Nothing, except the officer who let you through getting into hot water.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 6:44 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
I was asked once when re-entering Canada (not exiting, nor arriving in UK, nor departing from UK), said no, and was told it was "recommended". I've never travelled with one and I won't until it's required.

If I was abducting a child the first thing I'd do is make up a Mickey Mouse letter with a fake "father's phone number" and willing friend to answer the call. What do these letters really prevent? Nothing, except the officer who let you through getting into hot water.
When one of us travels with a letter, we show the border inspector and then drive on through. The only time I did not have one I was sent into immigration and it added an hour to the time it took to get across the border.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 7:19 am
BE Enthusiast

sas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond repute

Anyway, i emailed the Canadian Embassy and expect a reply within 28 days, so hopefully i'll get it cleared up once and for all.
I will pay the £40 for the parental responsibility agreement search though.
Its always a good thing to have i suppose.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.