Atlantic Province AIPP

Old Sep 15th 2019, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

Ajk1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Atlantic Province AIPP

Hi all,

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of the Atlantic Immigration Pilot Program (AIPP)? I am a UK qualified Social Worker with a MA in Social Work. Some of the social work agencies I have looked at are in this program however I hear that it is a lengthy process especially if you are not already there - we are currently still living in the UK. We plan to go to Nova Scotia, Halifax.

Also, my husband is a truck driver and does anyone know the opportunities for HGV drivers?

Many thanks all!
Old Sep 15th 2019, 7:49 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Atlantic Province AIPP

Originally Posted by Ajk1

Hi all,

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of the Atlantic Immigration Pilot Program (AIPP)? I am a UK qualified Social Worker with a MA in Social Work. Some of the social work agencies I have looked at are in this program however I hear that it is a lengthy process especially if you are not already there - we are currently still living in the UK. We plan to go to Nova Scotia, Halifax.

Also, my husband is a truck driver and does anyone know the opportunities for HGV drivers?

Many thanks all!
Hello and welcome to BE!

First thing to look into would be how to get your credentials assessed and CASW / Provincial Certification - Social Worker is a regulated profession - as far as I am aware without certification in Canada you wouldn't be allowed to work.

These links should help
https://www.casw-acts.ca/en/what-we-...al-credentials
NSCSW | International BSW/MSW
https://www.cicic.ca/938/social_workers.canada?id=84

Once you have that then the Atlantic Provinces Pilot Project isn't too onerous, if successful in getting Provincial Nomination then you could obtain a temporary work permit whilst your application for Permanent Residency was being processed. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...immigrate.html

As for Truck Drivers - he would need to retest in Canada, this helpful post explains how: Visa obtained but what about HGV requirements..?

There is a route in the APPP for truckers.. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...e-skilled.html

Our wiki will be of use..https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Truck_Driving_in_Canada

We have a sub forum for Truck drivers that might be helpul too - there's a couple of threads about trucking in NS and other useful info
https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/

Last edited by Siouxie; Sep 15th 2019 at 7:58 pm.
Old Sep 15th 2019, 8:04 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Siouxie, thank you for your response.

I already have my social work credentials passed by CASW so I think I now have to ask CASW to send my transcript to NSCSW.

I just do not know how realistic it would be to get a job under AIPP? I just don’t want to apply for loads of jobs if they are not willing to take someone from the UK?

Do you have any thoughts on the process?
Old Sep 15th 2019, 11:35 pm
Just Joined

willmissthebeeronly is an unknown quantity at this point

I came via the AIPP program and basically you can apply all you want from the UK but things only progressed for me (and others i know who came through) if you visit and get in front of people. Whilst its its simpler to get PR employers are still nervous so seeing the whites of your eyes is best plus you get to see Halifax (theres more to NS!)

Dm me if you want to chat it over

Old Sep 17th 2019, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

Hi,

I hope you are well.

Thanks for for responding to our message.

I am a qualified social worker with over 8 years experience. I am aware NS Health Authority and another agency called IWK take part in the AIPP. I am thinking of applying for some of the jobs but as I mentioned on the other posts I don’t know whether it’s worth it. I need to register with the Social Work Agency but that all seems pretty straightforward.

We are also visiting from 19/10 for a week just to get a feel of the place.

What field do you work in? How quick was the process for you? Did u get PR quite quickly? How long have u been in NS?

Are you renting or have u brought your own home? Are daily costs similar to the UK? We hear car insurance is really expensive!

We also have another option of my husband studying a diploma for two years at NS community college and I apply for an open work permit which also gives us another avenue to try and get PR. We also have a two and three year old.

Sorry for the many questions!

We appreciate your time!
Old Sep 17th 2019, 11:05 pm
Just Joined

willmissthebeeronly is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ajk1
Hi,

I hope you are well.

Thanks for for responding to our message.

I am a qualified social worker with over 8 years experience. I am aware NS Health Authority and another agency called IWK take part in the AIPP. I am thinking of applying for some of the jobs but as I mentioned on the other posts I don’t know whether it’s worth it. I need to register with the Social Work Agency but that all seems pretty straightforward.

We are also visiting from 19/10 for a week just to get a feel of the place.

What field do you work in? How quick was the process for you? Did u get PR quite quickly? How long have u been in NS?

Are you renting or have u brought your own home? Are daily costs similar to the UK? We hear car insurance is really expensive!

We also have another option of my husband studying a diploma for two years at NS community college and I apply for an open work permit which also gives us another avenue to try and get PR. We also have a two and three year old.

Sorry for the many questions!

We appreciate your time!

Hi

I sent you a message, insurance is just Torontos moan! 🤯

Old Sep 17th 2019, 11:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by willmissthebeeronly
I came via the AIPP program and basically you can apply all you want from the UK but things only progressed for me (and others i know who came through) if you visit and get in front of people. Whilst its its simpler to get PR employers are still nervous so seeing the whites of your eyes is best plus you get to see Halifax (theres more to NS!)

Dm me if you want to chat it over
Originally Posted by willmissthebeeronly
Hi

I sent you a message, insurance is just Torontos moan! 🤯
We ask that all immigration questions/answers are kept on the forums and not discussed via email or PM. Incorrect information can have disastrous consequences, if the information is kept on the forums it gives our members the chance to challenge/correct it. Thanks.