Atlantic Immigration Pilot

Old Mar 11th 2017, 1:21 pm
Forum Regular

feralbob has a reputation beyond reputeferalbob has a reputation beyond reputeferalbob has a reputation beyond reputeferalbob has a reputation beyond reputeferalbob has a reputation beyond reputeferalbob has a reputation beyond reputeferalbob has a reputation beyond reputeferalbob has a reputation beyond reputeferalbob has a reputation beyond reputeferalbob has a reputation beyond reputeferalbob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Atlantic Immigration Pilot

Hi All,

I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere.

Atlantic Immigration Pilot

Might be useful for a few folks.

Best wishes

Bob
Old Mar 12th 2017, 4:27 am
Forum Regular

geoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Atlantic Immigration Pilot

Depends how desperately people want to move to Canada.
These are poor provinces, have bad winters, and not many immigrants choose to move there.
Old Mar 12th 2017, 4:36 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geoff52
These are poor provinces, have bad winters, and not many immigrants choose to move there.
You'd be surprised how many brits there are!!
Old Mar 12th 2017, 1:13 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Interestingly enough I went to a town planning thing called "Imagine Fredericton" the other day, and they are predicting that we will grow our population, presently 60,000 ish, by another 32,000 in the next 25 years. I find this surprising as we have a devil of a job with immigrant retention, they come here under PNP etc, and thereafter depart damned quick to other, more prosperous, Provinces.
Old Mar 12th 2017, 1:35 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

LOL at this post. Of course you are welcome to your view but this is really far off the mark truth wise
Old Mar 12th 2017, 2:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily
LOL at this post. Of course you are welcome to your view but this is really far off the mark truth wise
?

Interpretation of what's good or bad is all up to the individual, but they're statistically right.

The three provinces with lowest incomes are maritimes - PEI, NS, NB (http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=uk). They get far fewer migrants than other areas of Canada (PR by province tables at Facts & Figures 2015: Immigration Overview - Permanent Residents - Open Government Portal - in 2015, NFL got 1,122, PEI 1,190, NS 3,403, NB, 2,578. Even the prairies got 14,901 in MB and 12,517 in SK, with over 100k to ON, 48k in QC and 47k in AB.

So yes, they are poor and with few migrants choosing there compared to elsewhere. You might feel relatively well off - Canada's still a rich country, and a low local cost of living can make low local wages a non-issue, but empirically, the average worker is going to be earning less there than outside. And they get the lowest number of migrants out of the provinces (the territories all got under 500 each).

For winter - I'm not going to dig up stats on snowfall days or temperatures, or cloud cover on something about which everyone has their own view on what's desirable. So take that one as up for debate. Although I did enjoy sunbathing in the Okanagan and snapchatting people in Halifax where snow was up to their heads
Old Mar 12th 2017, 2:34 pm
Forum Regular

feralbob has a reputation beyond reputeferalbob has a reputation beyond reputeferalbob has a reputation beyond reputeferalbob has a reputation beyond reputeferalbob has a reputation beyond reputeferalbob has a reputation beyond reputeferalbob has a reputation beyond reputeferalbob has a reputation beyond reputeferalbob has a reputation beyond reputeferalbob has a reputation beyond reputeferalbob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid
?

Interpretation of what's good or bad is all up to the individual, but they're statistically right.

The three provinces with lowest incomes are maritimes - PEI, NS, NB (http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=uk). They get far fewer migrants than other areas of Canada (PR by province tables at Facts & Figures 2015: Immigration Overview - Permanent Residents - Open Government Portal - in 2015, NFL got 1,122, PEI 1,190, NS 3,403, NB, 2,578. Even the prairies got 14,901 in MB and 12,517 in SK, with over 100k to ON, 48k in QC and 47k in AB.

So yes, they are poor and with few migrants choosing there compared to elsewhere. You might feel relatively well off - Canada's still a rich country, and a low local cost of living can make low local wages a non-issue, but empirically, the average worker is going to be earning less there than outside. And they get the lowest number of migrants out of the provinces (the territories all got under 500 each).

For winter - I'm not going to dig up stats on snowfall days or temperatures, or cloud cover on something about which everyone has their own view on what's desirable. So take that one as up for debate. Although I did enjoy sunbathing in the Okanagan and snapchatting people in Halifax where snow was up to their heads
Right I think it's dangerous to blanket any particular region any particular way. There are jobs here if you have the skillets that are in demand. There are good paying IT and engineering jobs available. Remote work is possible too. If you perform low skilled labour, then yes you will have trouble finding work. That's going to be the same across the country as automation fully takes hold.

I could earn more in theory in other areas of the country, but my quality of life would suffer. I have a short commute, I can be at a beach within 20 minutes of finishing work and picking the kids up. In the winter I do different thing to enjoy the environment. My job allows me to see the excellent R&D work that is being formed across the Maritimes and that translates directly to high skilled jobs, and further economic development. There is world class work being done in the region.

The Maritimes will not be everyones cup of tea, but to write it off completely is foolish.
Old Mar 12th 2017, 3:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't blanket any region any way; using averages is always going to mask over detail in every direction, for all regions. As I said, what people find desirable, and the trade-offs they deem worthwhile, is entirely personal.

My response was purely to point out that far from "LOL ... far off the mark truth wise", on average the characterisation made was statistically correct. A better counterpoint would be along the lines of 'whilst that is true, it's mitigated by quality of life, opportunities are heavily skewed by training and industry, and the (lack of) migrants don't know what they're missing out on'.
Old Mar 12th 2017, 3:19 pm
Forum Regular

I wouldn't blanket any region any way; using averages is always going to mask over detail in every direction, for all regions. As I said, what people find desirable, and the trade-offs they deem worthwhile, is entirely personal.

My response was purely to point out that far from "LOL ... far off the mark truth wise", on average the characterisation made was statistically correct. A better counterpoint would be along the lines of 'whilst that is true, it's mitigated by quality of life, opportunities are heavily skewed by training and industry, and the (lack of) migrants don't know what they're missing out on'.
Vulcanoid - I agree completely. My comment was half based on the first reply, not yours. Sorry for the confusion
Old Mar 12th 2017, 3:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ah, gotcha, sorry
Old Mar 13th 2017, 10:15 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
Interestingly enough I went to a town planning thing called "Imagine Fredericton" the other day, and they are predicting that we will grow our population, presently 60,000 ish, by another 32,000 in the next 25 years. I find this surprising as we have a devil of a job with immigrant retention, they come here under PNP etc, and thereafter depart damned quick to other, more prosperous, Provinces.
Found this interesting today
http://www.courts.ns.ca/Decisions_Of_Courts/documents/2017nssc70.pdf
Old Mar 14th 2017, 12:30 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Good point. Isnt Ontario now considered a "have not" province also?
I also think it depends on whats important in real life to the individual, rather than statistically.
Eg. from what I have read on this forum, it seems that its very difficult to be able to afford a home in Vancouver and in the GTA (I am of course generalizing here also and I have no personal experience of these areas) whereas someone on minimum wage can afford their own home in NS. Yes, it may be rural BUT they have one, and often they have space around it. I have a friend who earns minimum wage, as does her husband and they have a 3 bedroom bungalow on an acre. Yes, its tired asthetically, yes they are not well off but they can afford to heat it, they can afford to eat, buy clothes and eat out sometimes. They have a home.
Old Mar 15th 2017, 1:07 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Good point. Isnt Ontario now considered a "have not" province also?
I also think it depends on whats important in real life to the individual, rather than statistically.
Eg. from what I have read on this forum, it seems that its very difficult to be able to afford a home in Vancouver and in the GTA (I am of course generalizing here also and I have no personal experience of these areas) whereas someone on minimum wage can afford their own home in NS. Yes, it may be rural BUT they have one, and often they have space around it. I have a friend who earns minimum wage, as does her husband and they have a 3 bedroom bungalow on an acre. Yes, its tired asthetically, yes they are not well off but they can afford to heat it, they can afford to eat, buy clothes and eat out sometimes. They have a home.
I agree with you. Nobody could buy a house in GTA on minimum wage these days. So many of the host families I visit take international students to pay the mortgage and couldn't manage without.
Old Mar 15th 2017, 2:37 am
Forum Regular

geoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond repute

Which part is factually incorrect.
Old Mar 15th 2017, 12:01 pm
Happy

Which part is factually incorrect.
Well actually most of it as its all your viewpoint.
"Depends how desperately people want to move" - not a factual statement - your opinion.
"Have bad winters" - whats considered bad? Ours is freeze, thaw, freeze, thaw so we get a lot of ice but our temps are not as low as AB can go down to by any means.
"not many immigrants choose to move there" - again your opinion, I have a different view. Theres lots of us here and actually many very happy immigrants too

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.