Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Assistance from Mr Miller, please?

Assistance from Mr Miller, please?

Old Aug 23rd 2002, 5:48 pm
Andrew McNab

Default Assistance from Mr Miller, please?

Hi,

I'm visiting Vancouver at the moment on a job search-type mission, and have
discovered that the IT situation is indeed as bad as has been said. I am now one
step from getting my Landing Visa (?) from the CIC in London, and therefore have to
land back in BC by Dec 20th 2002.

This week, I have heard two things, both which may be useful to stringing out the
amount of time before I actually settle in BC, and therefore allow the job sitch to
improve (!).

Bear in mind I applied in July 2001, i.e. pre-new regulations:

1. If I land in Canada by Dec 20th, I can then leave the country and have SIX MONTHS
in which to return permanently. Is this the "183 day rule" I have heard about?

2. Again, if I land in Canada by Dec 20th, I then have up to 3 years to come and go
as I please in and out of the country, with no "you must return within 6 months"
law in place.

Can you clarify the ins and outs of this situation for me, and tell me which is the
more "correct" given my application date.

Cheers,

AM

P.S. I am actually intent on coming to BC, I realise this sounds like a bit of a
cop-out move!!

Old Aug 23rd 2002, 10:48 pm
Andrew Miller

Default Re: Assistance from Mr Miller, please?

You may forget about 183 days out of 12 months rule - it is gone...

Now you must physically reside in Canada for at least 730 days in every 5 years
period after becoming a PR.

--

../..

Andrew Miller Immigration Consultant Vancouver, British Columbia email:
[email protected] (delete REMOVE from the above address before
sending email)

"Andrew McNab" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
com
    > Hi,
    > I'm visiting Vancouver at the moment on a job search-type mission, and have
    > discovered that the IT situation is indeed as bad as has been said. I am now one
    > step from getting my Landing Visa (?) from the CIC in London, and therefore have to
    > land back in BC by Dec 20th 2002.
    > This week, I have heard two things, both which may be useful to stringing out the
    > amount of time before I actually settle in BC, and therefore allow the job sitch to
    > improve (!).
    > Bear in mind I applied in July 2001, i.e. pre-new regulations:
    > 1. If I land in Canada by Dec 20th, I can then leave the country and have SIX
    > MONTHS in which to return permanently. Is this the "183 day rule" I have heard
    > about?
    > 2. Again, if I land in Canada by Dec 20th, I then have up to 3 years to come and go
    > as I please in and out of the country, with no "you must return within 6 months"
    > law in place.
    > Can you clarify the ins and outs of this situation for me, and tell me which is the
    > more "correct" given my application date.
    > Cheers,
    > AM
    > P.S. I am actually intent on coming to BC, I realise this sounds like a bit of a
    > cop-out move!!

Old Aug 24th 2002, 12:10 am
The Wizzard

Default Re: Assistance from Mr Miller, please?

the 183 day rule you mention was part of the old law and no longer applies. This has
no bearing on when you applied. The new law is the other one you mentioned, you must
reside in Canada for at least 2 years in any 5 year period. So if you landed around
dec20th say then waited to get your PR card and say you had your PR card and
everything . So there fore you could theoreticaly leave Canada and return 3 years
later, around dec 20th. however you would then have to remain in Canada for the next
2 years and not leave to meet residency, so thats a bit extreme. but a balance
somewhere in the middle would let you stay out for long periods and still have enoguh
to travel whenyou returned for vacations etc. Another thing you may want to bear in
mind is if you want to apply for citizenship eventually. the citizenship requirements
are different and they require you to be physicaly present in Canada for 3 years in
the 4 years before you apply. so you need to spend considerably more time in Canada
to qualify for that than to meet minimum residency to retain PR status.

Drew

"Andrew McNab" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
com
    > Hi,
    > I'm visiting Vancouver at the moment on a job search-type mission, and have
    > discovered that the IT situation is indeed as bad as has been said. I am now one
    > step from getting my Landing Visa (?) from the CIC in London, and therefore have to
    > land back in BC by Dec 20th 2002.
    > This week, I have heard two things, both which may be useful to stringing out the
    > amount of time before I actually settle in BC, and therefore allow the job sitch to
    > improve (!).
    > Bear in mind I applied in July 2001, i.e. pre-new regulations:
    > 1. If I land in Canada by Dec 20th, I can then leave the country and have SIX
    > MONTHS in which to return permanently. Is this the "183 day rule" I have heard
    > about?
    > 2. Again, if I land in Canada by Dec 20th, I then have up to 3 years to come and go
    > as I please in and out of the country, with no "you must return within 6 months"
    > law in place.
    > Can you clarify the ins and outs of this situation for me, and tell me which is the
    > more "correct" given my application date.
    > Cheers,
    > AM
    > P.S. I am actually intent on coming to BC, I realise this sounds like a bit of a
    > cop-out move!!