Aspergers and immigration

Old Oct 18th 2015, 11:29 am
Just Joined

heatherb86 has a reputation beyond reputeheatherb86 has a reputation beyond reputeheatherb86 has a reputation beyond reputeheatherb86 has a reputation beyond reputeheatherb86 has a reputation beyond reputeheatherb86 has a reputation beyond reputeheatherb86 has a reputation beyond reputeheatherb86 has a reputation beyond reputeheatherb86 has a reputation beyond reputeheatherb86 has a reputation beyond reputeheatherb86 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Aspergers and immigration

Hello all!

we are newbies here so be gentle! ;-)

Myself and my partner are looking to move to Canada from the UK and were very excited about the whole deal.

THEN we discovered that they mostly knock back people who suffer from autism/aspergers syndrome as they see them as a "burden" on their healthcare system. :-/ Our child is in mainsteam school etc and we were going to pay for her to go into private schooling anyway.

Is it utterly hopeless or do we still have a chance? If so, does anyone know of anything we can do to improve our chances!

TIA!
Old Oct 18th 2015, 11:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aspergers and immigration

Every case of excessive demand on health and social services is a case by case basis based on its own merits. Read the following links for more info
Excessive demand on health and social services
Program delivery update - December 1, 2014
Old Oct 18th 2015, 12:50 pm
Just Joined

heatherb86 has a reputation beyond reputeheatherb86 has a reputation beyond reputeheatherb86 has a reputation beyond reputeheatherb86 has a reputation beyond reputeheatherb86 has a reputation beyond reputeheatherb86 has a reputation beyond reputeheatherb86 has a reputation beyond reputeheatherb86 has a reputation beyond reputeheatherb86 has a reputation beyond reputeheatherb86 has a reputation beyond reputeheatherb86 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Every case of excessive demand on health and social services is a case by case basis based on its own merits. Read the following links for more info
Excessive demand on health and social services
Program delivery update - December 1, 2014
Thanks for the below. :-) super helpful. So we might so have a chance if we offer private schooling as an option

Does anyone know how they calculate the amount?
Old Oct 18th 2015, 4:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi if you click on the link FL gave you in the post above and read all the links within that link it will tell you the current cost threshold per year, which is usually multiplied by 5 to give a cost over a five year period (or possibly 10 years depending on the condition).

HTH

S
Old Oct 18th 2015, 8:04 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Snowy560
Hi if you click on the link FL gave you in the post above and read all the links within that link it will tell you the current cost threshold per year, which is usually multiplied by 5 to give a cost over a five year period (or possibly 10 years depending on the condition).

S
Thanks but I was just wondering how they came to the amount we would "cost".

Like for exanple a doctor's appt is $300, teachers aide $2000 etc? Thanks xx

HTH
Old Oct 18th 2015, 8:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

You might also want to look into whether or not moving to Canada with an autistic child is a good idea anyway. Do a search of threads and you should find some good information from Dbd33, who has posted in the past about how Canada is not a great place for autistic children generally.

Good luck.
Old Oct 18th 2015, 9:11 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
You might also want to look into whether or not moving to Canada with an autistic child is a good idea anyway. Do a search of threads and you should find some good information from Dbd33, who has posted in the past about how Canada is not a great place for autistic children generally.

Good luck.
hello

We did some research on this and there is a private school that looks absolutely fantastic and perfect for her (obviously we would need to visit there first before deciding it was definitely the place for us) in Canada. We would be more than happy to pay for her education as it would be much more than she gets in the UK at the moment anyway.

If she was high dependency (like my brother) we definitely wouldn't even consider it, but myself and my uncle are both on the spectrum. I am completing my training an engineer and he has three degrees, as well as our friend who is an accountant, and I have another friend who works in a nursery and another who is at university just now. I suppose I just cant understand how they can automatically assume that we would be a "drain" on their society when we have so much to contribute and our child herself (not to brag or anything) has "advanced intelligence." I know she will achieve good things. It would be a different argument if we needed 24/7 care and we were just coming over to "take advantage" of the healthcare/schooling system and not contribute, but this isn't the case at all. it just seems like blatant discrimination to me and that "autism" is almost like a dirty word to the immigration system.

(sorry, I know that's not what you were asking, but I am just ranting away in general and not at you at all! :-) )

We started looking into New Zealand as well because of these issues, but we just don't have the same passion for it as we did for Canada. :-(

Last edited by heatherb86; Oct 18th 2015 at 9:14 pm.
Old Oct 19th 2015, 3:37 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think offering private schooling would make a difference as it is unenforceable. Once an applicant got in, circumstances change and presto the child is in the public system.

The assessment is made on what is considered typical for a condition and medical reports for the individual.

Consideration has to not only be given to how they person is as a child, parents have ore control of things during childhood. A much bigger issue is when they become an adult. Parents have less control, there are virtually no support networks and the autistic adult is pretty much left to their own devices and family support. The disability payment system by setup will keep the disabled person in poverty with no hope of getting out of it.

Many high functioning ASD students end up in mainstream school and academically do fine, socially it can for some be a whole different issue.

Canada is not a place to be an adult with a disability or a place to grow old with a disability.
Old Oct 19th 2015, 3:46 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by heatherb86
It would be a different argument if we needed 24/7 care and we were just coming over to "take advantage" of the healthcare/schooling system and not contribute, but this isn't the case at all. it just seems like blatant discrimination to me and that "autism" is almost like a dirty word to the immigration system.
Unfortunately in many cases, high functioning ASD can have a high IQ, this makes it even harder to access services. As adults there are individuals with ASD that don't need constant care, but need assistance and ongoing monitoring. It can be a drain on not only healthcare, but the social system and the family.

Immigration issues and protecting the healthcare system for Canadians is not discrimination. Denying someone services and assistance in the country they live in because of a disability is discrimination. Moving countries is a choice, for most, not driven by medical or economic needs.

If you are in the UK, you already have access to the same or perhaps even better services.

Every condition has a blanket perception, we are just more sensitive to it when it directly impacts us as individuals.
Old Oct 19th 2015, 3:56 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your response.

The UK although has many positive qualities, has many nagative ones too.

We do not claim a single service anyway. I have seen some people be accepted for their applications if they say they will never claim anything for their children and promise to place them in private school, but this looks like a deal struck when very good lawyers are involved.

I would have to argue that it IS the definition of discriminating though. Especially if they won't have any outgoings amd are basically just saying "you have a disability, therefore you will never contribute to society the way other people can"

Perhaps it is because I come from a place where we are encouraged to be inclusive towards people who are disabled that it utterly horrifies me that people are literally being labelled as a "burden."

Last edited by heatherb86; Oct 19th 2015 at 4:02 am.
Old Oct 19th 2015, 4:07 am

We do not claim a single service anyway. I have seen some people be accepted for their applications if they say they will never claim anything for their children and promise to place them in private school, but this looks like a deal struck when very good lawyers are involved.
I really don't see that working as it is unenforceable under the Charter of Rights and Freedoms. Personally, I would not spend thousands on a lawyer to find out.

With experience of both Canada and the UK, for people with disabilities, Canada has more negatives than the UK. I would suggest not trying to come believing Canada is the land of milk and honey, especially when someone may need help and support as a child or worse, as an adult.

How a child seems now, it is impossible to determine what level of support they may need as an adult. Some require little or none, others require a lot more than we anticipate.

Some folks have got in with children with ASD, others have not.

South African doctor’s immigration bid rejected because her autistic child would cost taxpayers too much | National Post

I don't want to burst your bubble, but whatever you do, go in with eyes wide open. Hopefully you child gets the support they need wherever they are, this has to be the first priority and you get to live the life you desire.

This is just an opinion with personal experiences.

Last edited by Aviator; Oct 19th 2015 at 4:10 am.
Old Oct 19th 2015, 7:11 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

hello We did some research on this and there is a private school that looks absolutely fantastic and perfect for her (obviously we would need to visit there first before deciding it was definitely the place for us) in Canada. We would be more than happy to pay for her education as it would be much more than she gets in the UK at the moment anyway. If she was high dependency (like my brother) we definitely wouldn't even consider it, but myself and my uncle are both on the spectrum. I am completing my training an engineer and he has three degrees, as well as our friend who is an accountant, and I have another friend who works in a nursery and another who is at university just now. I suppose I just cant understand how they can automatically assume that we would be a "drain" on their society when we have so much to contribute and our child herself (not to brag or anything) has "advanced intelligence." I know she will achieve good things. It would be a different argument if we needed 24/7 care and we were just coming over to "take advantage" of the healthcare/schooling system and not contribute, but this isn't the case at all. it just seems like blatant discrimination to me and that "autism" is almost like a dirty word to the immigration system.(sorry, I know that's not what you were asking, but I am just ranting away in general and not at you at all! :-) ) We started looking into New Zealand as well because of these issues, but we just don't have the same passion for it as we did for Canada. :-(
This is always a tricky one. I don't know enough about autism to have anything constructive to say about the degree of "burden" or otherwise a particular individual might be on the system. But if it is your opinion that this is blatant discrimination before you've even started the process of applying for visas, are you sure this is the right place to be contemplating? As Aviator said, Canada is not the most supportive of country's when it comes to social or medical facility networks. My understanding is that, while not perfect, the UK would most likely still provide more of the services and support that your daughter may be need later in life (albeit from what you've written, not yet).
Old Oct 20th 2015, 3:44 pm
Perfer et obdura

Location: Birmingham 26 years, Germany 20 years, in Toronto since 2015
anglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond repute

My son has quite severe Asperger's, and he is now on the autism program of a fantastic (public) high school here in Toronto, even though we are still here as visitors with dual intent. I have actually found there is so much support for autistic people here that I am having trouble sorting it all out in my head (I am not complaining, btw...).

Incidentally, ours was a Family Class application. Can't say what it would be like if you are applying in another category...